Recoil in Semi-auto's

flytie

Dear All, I was belted by a car a few years ago and damaged my spine and am just coming back to shooting again after (another) operation on my neck. I am finding recoil a bit of a problem when putting a lot of shells through my gun!! I have been advised to try a gas operated semi-auto (Beretta) and want to know if you semi-auto users out there think that they reduce felt recoil? I would find any advice useful

Hi flytie,

i should or would say welcome to the forum but as ive only been on for 2 days will stick to Hi.

I have shot semis in the past but not for a while yes the Beretta will have less recoil than a normal over and under or a side by side. to reduce the recoil even more you can try different cartridges smaller shot loads, as in weight not size IE 24grms as against 52grms or even use subsonic.

just an idea

dougy

Dougy, have tried various loads through my silver pigeon three (gamebore subsonics and 24g loads) and they are fine for game and clays in small quantities. Occasionally though I have a lucky day pigeon shooting or on a simulated game day when I need to shoot a lot of shells. So I would like peoples opinions on the Perceived recoil on semi's as I may have to move in that direction. Thanks, Flytie.

I personally find the sliding action semis have less as the whole barrel moves backward to cycle the next shot and it helps take the recoil out.

I find my Gas operated Semi has more kick then the sliding action semi.

Still VASTLY different to a O/U or SbS

Saying that i took my Step son to the clay ground on Sunday and even with the Semi he nearly ended up on his *** with a 28g load eley :/

I dropped my Franchi to stop HIM falling :/

But yes a LOT less recoil in a Semi as opposed to a O/U or SbS

Is there no clay grounds near to you where yo can go ask for a try of a Semi?

Normally the lads will accomodate and let you use a Semi for a few rounds.

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

My noble lord, I am sorry to hear about your Franchi, I hope it survived? Yes there are clay grounds nearby, I believe the South Worcestershire one at Upton is my nearest. My local club is semi-auto free, they are mainly game shots that just "do a bit" to keep sharp.

Regards, Flytie.

I use the Beretta AL391 Urika Semi 12 Bore and have never noticed any recoil that bothers me, or my mates 12 year old son who tried it on a clay session (he felt less recoil than his 20 Bores). This includes the occasional duff shoulder position when rushing to mount on fast clays. The only down side is the gun can get heavy after a few hours roost shooting, the upside is with practice you can eject spent cartridges into your mates ear on the next clay stand :/ .

The gun also mounts and points beautifully, I would recommend trying one.

Pat

I use the Beretta AL391 Urika Semi 12 Bore and have never noticed any recoil that bothers me, or my mates 12 year old son who tried it on a clay session (he felt less recoil than his 20 Bores). This includes the occasional duff shoulder position when rushing to mount on fast clays. The only down side is the gun can get heavy after a few hours roost shooting, the upside is with practice you can eject spent cartridges into your mates ear on the next clay stand :/ .

The gun also mounts and points beautifully, I would recommend trying one.

Pat

Yes Pat, I also shoot with a Beretta 391, and I would entirely agree with what you say.

Especially about the bit on trying to eject an empty shell into my mates ear'ole when sat in a pigeon hide.

You do have to keep them clean though, like any other gun. The 1st time you completely strip one you think "How does that wotsit go back from where I think I took it from?".

I know a man.......

Don

Should have seen the chaps diving for cover at the clay ground :*)

I stood on the skeet stand with a Franchi full choked and they sneered :<

so i brought the gun up and MAN they dove when they twigged they were in the line for a face full of spend carts :look:

Pittled em off too as i hit 3 straight off the belt prob more than THEY were on skeet chokes :yp:

I don't feel recoil much from ANY of the guns i use even the 3&1/2" magnum semi?:D

I wanna try a 3" semi in my O/U next week 42g loads i beleive?? Should be fun :o

Gonna go and have a go on skeet propperly tomorrow as DTL i am ok at and the Grouse butt got boring :/ 5 for 5 too often :/

I want to try ABT but my mates face dropped when i said i wanted a go :o He won't go on with me. Think i will ask the guy who runs it on sunday if HE fancies a round i REALLY want to try ABT :o

Shame you didn't live closer you could have came up for a days clays and tried my semis out :o

Edited by Lord Geordie

So gentlemen if, as you seem to think, the beretta is the answer, what do you think about the various merits of the optima choke system compared to the mobil choke. Does the optima system reduce felt recoil? What would you recommend?

I too have friends who could do with a warm spent case in the ear :/

Regards, Flytie.

I have my eye on a Benelli Comfort (3 shot semi, non gas). There was a recent article in Gun Trader that said it was very easy on the shoulder (easier than anything on the market including the Berettas - mind you Benelli are owned by Beretta so who knows how it all works). Haven't found anyone that has used / bought one though. Perhaps I will be the first as soon as my ******* certificate turns up.

P.S.

I think I will adopt Flytie's excuse of "medical grounds" as my reason for buying, as medically speaking I am a bit of a lady when it comes to kick back.

Edited by Mungler

Mungler, If you want the scars I can give you the name of my neuro-surgeon? Another one who thinks sympathy is found between **** and syphillis in the dictionary :/ Benelli system works on inertia (recoil) and have just been adopted by the U.S.(eless) Army. Although they have done a lot of work on light loads they are not as tolerant as the Beretta according to the "Chuck Hawk's" web site.

Regards, Flytie.

Flytie - I don't think chokes affect recoil (unless someone knows better), my gun uses extended mobilchokes and they work fine, if you are popping lots of clays it is worth checking the choke occassionally (gun empty) as they are only hand tight they can work loose.

Richard - nice video, that chap is the only person I've ever seen who has found a proper use for a golfball :/ .

Pat

i have a berretta al 391 and i can shoot all day long with it no problem.my o/u 12 bore and sbs 16 hardly get taken out of the cabinet.even doing a 100 round at clays with either of the others gives me a headache,neck pains etc but ive used the 391 on a simulated day and put nearly 700 shells through it with no problems.

Hairy Pat, Optima choked Beretta's are bored slightly wider all the way down the barrel than the mobil system and the company claim that this reduces felt recoil. I believe that Browning did something similar with their "back boring". I just wondered if someone had shot both and had an opinion?

Regards flytie.

Welcome flytie to the forum.

I have used semi-autos and I am putting one on in the next 2 months. Yes they do reduce the recoil some. Fabram LION is I think among the lightest if weight is a problem.

I friend of mine has a really bad shoulder from an accident. He shoot a lot and can only use a semi auto for long shooting period. Sometime he still get sore, but he will pump 300-500 shell through it like they are going out of fasion. He has a B 391?

Another option: Years ago I shot occasionally with a guy who was confined to a wheelchair sue to a car accident. He used a Remi 20g semi-auto. This reduced the recoil to nothing. I shot clays with this wee gun and it was great. I could hit better with it, I think it was because it was quick and light to mount. Shells a bit more expensive but it depends on how much shooting you will do.

Final option: You probably won't go for this but what about a .410? I have a wee .410 Mossberg pump 3" Mag and it is a great wee gun. I took it to a clay range 2 months ago and it was great even on crossing birds. Range reduced a bit but to be honest if you are decoying at a sensible range the .410 will take most of them. It is worth considering as a 2nd gun for those cold days when you will stiffen up. I know.

Hope this was some help

BD

Hairy Pat, Optima choked Beretta's are bored slightly wider all the way down the barrel than the mobil system and the company claim that this reduces felt recoil.  I believe that Browning did something similar with their "back boring".  I just wondered if someone had shot both and had an opinion?

Regards flytie.

Flytie,

Welcome to the forum, I can't speak about the latest Beretta semi auto's as I've not used one for a few years, however I can confirm that recoil is noticeably reduced on over & unders that have overbored barrel's and Optima chokes fitted, when compared with the earlier Beretta Mobilchoke system.

I've directly compared it on 2 Beretta 682's that I own, with the older mobilchoked model giving a significantly heavier kick than the newer Optima choked model, and that's despite the older version being a full 1lb heavier.

Have you considered a recoil reducer fitted into the stock?

Have a look at this website:

http://www.recoilsystems.com/html/splash.asp

Cat.

Cat, yes I have thought about a recoil reducer but am wary of it as I spent some time finding a silver pigeon 111 with nice wood. I am tempted by Big Dog's idea of a 20g semi as the weight is less and still with the advantage of reduced percieved recoil. I used to use a 20 bore 687 and put 24g express shells through it and moved to a 12g to try and reduce the recoil I felt. This is why I asked for some sound advice!!!!!!!!! I am interested in your findings with the Optima choked gun and I think this may be the way forward, unfortunately Beretta only seem to do the Optima choke in the Teknys range and I much prefer the look of the black actioned Urika to the brightness of the Teknys. If I can find the right second hand semi I think I will give it a go :lol:

Edited by flytie

dont get a 20b

they fire very similar amounts of lead at the same velocity out of the same weight gun or a lighter gun. So if you had no luck with 24gram loads through your 12b then this wouldnt achive anything.

get a beretta extrema 2, its has more recoil reducing features than you can shake a stick at.

I have a Berretta Xtrema and feel no recoil from it unless shooting seriously heavy loads (66Gr)

It also has optima chokes although they are flush not extended. It really is a nice gun and will fire any 12G cartridge you can lay your hands on, from 24 -66g no problem. Although if you have neck or shoulder injuries I wouldn't fire the Biggies.

Cheers

Martin