HMR or WMR

bornfree

do you not have the same stability issues with 50+gn 22 bullets in RF form?

I pulled a 30gn WMR bullet and fitted a 60gn Vmax for a laugh, havent got round to shooting them yet!

Probably not the wisest thing to try as the 60 grain head will increase youre pressure through the roof unless you take some powder out.

One other question do the barrels shoot out on WMR's or are they like 22lr's and go on forever.i suppose what i'am asking is,is it ok to buy a secondhand one?

bornfree

The top speed of WMR is seldom more than 2200ft sec, whilst fast in comparison with .22lr that is nothing in centrefire terms where barrel eaters may well exceed 4000ft sec.

It is a .22 Bore and you can see down it in a shop, take a look for a quick idea of its condition.

It will rarely be worn out, perhaps simply not cared for at worst!

be shure to put a pick up of you with no fingers wont you :blink: :blink:

+1...seams a silly thing to do mate, if you need 60gr go get a CF, i may be wrong but i doubt you are able to do the calcs to see if the barrell will handle the pressures involved and it's not worth your hands, face or life at worst is it? :/

Regards,

Gixer

The top speed of WMR is seldom more than 2200ft sec, whilst fast in comparison with .22lr that is nothing in centrefire terms where barrel eaters may well exceed 4000ft sec.

It is a .22 Bore and you can see down it in a shop, take a look for a quick idea of its condition.

It will rarely be worn out, perhaps simply not cared for at worst!

I shoot on a farm that has geese and ducks in wire netting pens outside,by the end of july we will have 60,000 geese and around 40,000 to 50,000 ducks over 5 fields.the pens are 100yards x 50yards and the wire is 3ft high for geese and 2ft for ducks.the land is flat so there is not much chance of shots over 100yards in fact i shot one last night at 18 yards.so after reading all the replies i'am going for a WMR which i think is the best gun for the job.the N550 by the way is brilliant for this application, i was watching the fox for about 5mins before i could get a clear shot(geese in the way)and he was no more than 50yards and came as close as 18yards.

bornfree

I shoot on a farm that has geese and ducks in wire netting pens outside,by the end of july we will have 60,000 geese and around 40,000 to 50,000 ducks over 5 fields.the pens are 100yards x 50yards and the wire is 3ft high for geese and 2ft for ducks.the land is flat so there is not much chance of shots over 100yards in fact i shot one last night at 18 yards.so after reading all the replies i'am going for a WMR which i think is the best gun for the job.the N550 by the way is brilliant for this application, i was watching the fox for about 5mins before i could get a clear shot(geese in the way)and he was no more than 50yards and came as close as 18yards.

bornfree

It is always tricky to give specific advice on calibre/ammo/quarry/distance/environment/etc/etc, and I have a lot of FAC tools to select from.

I most certainly do not always get it right, but going over previous posts and the above, I have to say WMR seems the tool to me!

A phrase I have used before and some will recognise.....the WMR gives me a feeling of confidence!

ATB!

Yep, it is sort of more of a crack with the HMR than WMR, I'm not entirely sure if it is noisier, but it is different.

It needs someone cleverer than me to explain why the different shapes, weight?, speeds of a bullet changes the nature of the Boom/crack as the sound barrier is broken, I can see the logic to some extent as to the different nature of the shock wave but.....

In the wind all the charts will tell you HMR is better than WMR, frankly I don't give a fig, that has NOT been my experience in the field! I hate the HMR when it gets drafty! :yes::lol::good:

From one somewhat out of favour calibre, the .22WMR to another, the Hornet.

Both these calibres have lost a lot of ground over the last 10-15 years or so, but the reality is they are both excellent at what they do, and Joe Public is beginning to realise that as their popularity, slowly but steadily increases again!

The Hornet is a VERY versatile round, but from my general experience I would strongly suggest that it is a rifle ideally suited for reloaders today.

ATB!

I may have to rename this post Hornet or 222 as i dont think they are going to let me have a WMR listed for fox.

bornfree

Hi,

Can understand an HMR being a no no but a WMR! I'd be inclined to have another chat with, perhaps, someone further up the food chain if that is possible, explaining your needs and the fact that you're talking up to 362lbs/ft of muzzle energy. Push the collateral damage bit. You really don't want to go forking out extra for something that you don't need.

Good luck.

Hi,

Can understand an HMR being a no no but a WMR! I'd be inclined to have another chat with, perhaps, someone further up the food chain if that is possible, explaining your needs and the fact that you're talking up to 362lbs/ft of muzzle energy. Push the collateral damage bit. You really don't want to go forking out extra for something that you don't need.

Good luck.

My local force also won't condition wmr for fox, it has to be a centrefire.

The rimfire and fox debate rages on round the country, some will some wont.

My .22lr, .17HMR and .22WMR are ALL conditioned for fox, beats me how they manage to despatch foxes fine in my region but are not capable in other parts of the country! :hmm:

From one somewhat out of favour calibre, the .22WMR to another, the Hornet.

Both these calibres have lost a lot of ground over the last 10-15 years or so, but the reality is they are both excellent at what they do, and Joe Public is beginning to realise that as their popularity, slowly but steadily increases again!

The Hornet is a VERY versatile round, but from my general experience I would strongly suggest that it is a rifle ideally suited for reloaders today.

ATB!

Or use decent factory, my new CZ is printing 1.3" relibly with RWS 46 grn factory at 225 yds! it also carries the similar energy to a wmr does at the muzzle 250 yds out. I have never owned a WMR but this hornet seems to make less noise than my HMR did, though that might be to do with a SAK v a T8

Or use decent factory, my new CZ is printing 1.3" relibly with RWS 46 grn factory at 225 yds! it also carries the similar energy to a wmr does at the muzzle 250 yds out. I have never owned a WMR but this hornet seems to make less noise than my HMR did, though that might be to do with a SAK v a T8

Any reloader who knows what they are doing will be able to make better, and very possibly cheaper ammo than factory, for their individual gun, but plenty of factory is perfectly adequate for general field work. :yes:

My point was more directed at the availability/choice (or not) of Hornet ammo around the country.

That is a heavy round at 46g, and by its nature should hold it's energy well, but 225 yards must be like falling of a cliff, what's that, 20-30 inch drop with a 100yard zero! And you are doing very well out to 225 yards, I take it you were inside :lol::lol: , or you had a word with God to see if he could stop breathing for a few minutes! :o :lol:

Cheers :good::good::good:

Any reloader who knows what they are doing will be able to make better, and very possibly cheaper ammo than factory, for their individual gun, but plenty of factory is perfectly adequate for general field work. :yes:

My point was more directed at the availability/choice (or not) of Hornet ammo around the country.

That is a heavy round at 46g, and by its nature should hold it's energy well, but 225 yards must be like falling of a cliff, what's that, 20-30 inch drop with a 100yard zero! And you are doing very well out to 225 yards, I take it you were inside :lol::lol: , or you had a word with God to see if he could stop breathing for a few minutes! :o :lol:

Cheers :good::good::good:

When you run the balistics the 35 grn stuff sheds velocity the heavy pill holds onto it better making it flatter further out, it is certainly a lot better on wind. Although many say the 35 v-max is what the CZ likes mine doesn't seem to and struggles to make 1 moa @ 100 with them. with a 120 zero i am requiring just a smidge over 4 moa in elivation at 225 (a tad over 8") so i am not sure were you pulled that 20-30" figure from,perhaps total drop rather than trajectory in relation to line of sight? not chroned yet though we are high up here but i doubt i could get anything to shoot over twice as flat. Hornet ammo is non too easy to get tried for an 1100 allowance but they were being cruel with me this time and obviously had the hump could only get 600 to keep. Once i find the load i will have to do a deal with my RFD on storage and get a bulk order in.

Edited by kent