Shotgun Safe

elmstone

My Father in law has given my his old shotgun safe (he just purchased a 5 gun one). I am due a visit from the Firearms enquiry officer soon.

My questions are as follows :-

Do gun safes have a BS mark ?

Mine only has 2 re-enforced mounting holes on the rear, I have seen other that have 4 or 6 and a few more in the bottom.

It has two door locks which have been made by Ingersoll (UK) hardened 6 lever.

It's contruction is about 1.5 mm thick with re-enforcements on the hinges and locks

and has blue hammerite finish. It was made by Precision Metalcraft Ltd in Leigton Buzzard.

I have fitted to wall using 20mm floor bolts and I have tried to pull it off the wall but it's solid (a usual test i have heard)

Do you think it's sounds good enough ?

Dont know if it varies with region but there is no obligation to use a BS marked safe. I used the one that the guy I bought my Beretta from gave me for free and it has no makers mark or anything on it - it passed. As long as it is secure and cannot be opened without a key and if its attached to a wall rendering it unmoveable then its fine.

If it only has 2 holes in the back simply drill out another 4

2 top 2 middle 2 bottom and fix to the wall

I put 2 in the floor too

Before drilling and fixing to the wall check for pipes and wires with one of those mini metal detecters they use for finding the plumbing etc in walls.

As long as is is secure to the wall and the door locks and hinges are covered and hard to gain access to it should be fine.

5 lever locks are a minimum so the 6 lever locks are more than secure enough.

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

I had my visit from the FAO last week - he gave the cabinet a kick and shake to see if it would come off.

He did mention that if the cabinet had the relevent british standard then it would be automatically accepted (provided it was properly anchored).

I drilled extra holes in the side of mine to get a better anchor into a corner (breeze blocks at rear, brick on the right hand side).

I assumed that the wall to the rear was solid brick - no soon as the drill hit the wall on hammer setting it went clean through it much to the amusement of the missus.

The best thing I found to use was liquid polyester and bolts - drill hole (not so deep as to go through wall), pump in liquid polyester (Wickes £8), insert bolt, wait 5 minutes. Boomshanka. You could hang elephants off the fixings.

Mine is fixed to an internal wall through the two holes in the back and that is more than sufficient to hold it firmly.

One important thing that some people forget, is fit it flush to the wall.

This may involve removing a piece of skirting board.

There should be no opportunity for prospective thieves to be able to insert a lever behind the cabinet.

Mine is fixed to an internal wall through the two holes in the back and that is more than sufficient to hold it firmly.

One important thing that some people forget, is fit it flush to the wall.

This may involve removing a piece of skirting board.

There should be no opportunity for prospective thieves to be able to insert a lever behind the cabinet.

Mine weren't too bad i have mine in my strong room ???

Have a Cupboard set aside as a workshop with a coded lock on the door to stop my Laddy getting in to play with the lathe etc and it has all my other tools in. How the floor holds the weight of it all is beyond me :oops:

I just took the whole skirting off on the back (main wall) and a tad off the side to sit the cabinet snugly against the left wall (helps protect locks against gemmy attack)

My new cabinet i fitted INSIDE my locker straight through the back and into the wall and through the bottom into the floor.

Beauty is the locker hides the Cabinet inside ???

Double Bonus ???

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

Now I am worried, According to the Police guide lines posted by slipster. Bolting it to a breeze block wall is not accepted. In new houses most of the internal walls are breeze block or stud wall. I would find it very difficult to find a suitable place for the safe on an external brick wall. has anyone else bolt the safe to an intrenal 'breeze' block wall

Now I am worried, According to the Police guide lines posted by slipster. Bolting it to a breeze block wall is not accepted. In new houses most of the internal walls are breeze block or stud wall. I would find it very difficult to find a suitable place for the safe on an external brick wall. has anyone else bolt the safe to an intrenal 'breeze' block wall

I suspect most people living in a modern house, have their gunsafes bolted into breeze block walls.

In the four properties I have had a gunsafe, I have never been asked what the wall was constructed of.

In two cases, it was definitely block walls.

Don't forget you are reading "guidelines" printed in 2002, your local FO is the final arbiter.

My walls are Breezeblock and i just had to by Resin anchors to fix mine to the wall.

Passed the police regulations fine.

They only dislike Expanding fixings in breezeblock as they crush the block and as it's brittle tend not to hold the anchor points to well with a good hefty shove.

Brattonsound reccomend Resin fixings. A small tube of resin and hardner you put in a mastic gun.

Drill your holes (check for pipes and wires first)

I use a pipe cleaner and hoover to make sure the dust is out the holes

Squirt some of the resin out the nozzle first to make sure it's mixing propperly then inject resin in to the holes

Push your threaded bars into the resin and leave for a few hours.

I leave mine over night

Then bolt the cabinet to the wall

If you have a concrete floor drill and resin fix those too or if wood (again chack for pipes etc) and coach bolts into the floor.

Job done :oops:

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

mine is just done onto a single wall with 4 expanding bolts, u wud still need at least 3 men to carry out the house even if they did get it off the wall, it bloody weighs a tun,

just out of intrest aswel why is it when you first get a gunsafe it has to be checked but if u buy another one, no one has to come around and see it??

mine is just done onto a single wall with 4 expanding bolts, u wud still need at least 3 men to carry out the house even if they did get it off the wall, it bloody weighs a tun,

just out of intrest aswel why is it when you first get a gunsafe it has to be checked but if u buy another one, no one has to come around and see it??

When i changed for a bigger safe the FEO came out to inspect it. :thumbs: :rolleyes:

Trouble is then take a note of how many shotguns your cabinet will hold as they did with mine and when i send the paperwork off to tell them i have boughts another 8 shotguns i had a letter here in a few days asking me to contact them reguarding storage of 12 shotguns in a 5 shotgun safe :rolleyes:

LG

Hey Heyyy FO just left looked at my cabinet never even touched or opened it and said "I know those cabinets and thats fine"

so don worry mate just hide it away and fix it the best way you know how

Slipster

I have a built in wardrobe next to the chimney and thought great il bolt it to the chimney as thats gotta be brick, Started to drill only to find that is block built! so i put it to the other side which is the wall dividing us and next door and that was brick so stuck it there and when the feo came round he said splendid if it was on the other side i would have asked you to move it to the side its on now as its harder to get a jemmy in the sides!

Had the visit by the FEO today, No problems. He took a look gave it a quick pull, asked how it was fix to the wall. That's it.

Asked a few personal question.. family, house security, where I was going to shoot etc etc

Just have to wait to see how long it takes to process the application.

I forgot to ask as I was so pleased with the him accepting the shotgun safe.

How long does it take ?

How long's a piece of string. Time varies wildly from force to force and their current workload. I expect some other members from the same area will be along later to tell you how long their's took.

Mine was about 13 working days from Norfolk police which has got to be good for them.

Ben