Shot my first fox today!

WelshLamb

Yeah, i buy heavy lead loads box at a time mainly and i always like to test steel duck and goose loads before i buy more than a box or two. although at short range a normal game load will work no.1 's or BB are my favourite by far.

You did good there that mangy thing needed doing were ever it was :yes: mange often makes me think there is more than an odd one about, no great proof behind that theory though. if you get out with a lamp and some heavy shells you might be suprised what you find about :good:

Well done mate, you did the right thing looking at the state of her! :good:

Number 6 shot isn't the best choice fo a fox (In my opinion) but it is quite acceptable as long as you are within a sensible range!

Most gun shops will sell you a sigle box of something heavier. I carry half a dozen heavy cartridges on a stock mounted cartridge holder but you don't always have time to change cartridges with an "opportunist fox"!

If you were going out specifically for fox you might like to try a box of something like BBs or something around around that size of shot!

Once again though, well done! :good:

What is specs for that gun? Barrel length ect?

It's a 12g bettinsoli diamond. 28" barrels. Same length as my Lincoln premier 20g.

Time for gratuitous gun pic!! Lincoln on the top, bettinsoli in middle and on the bottom my little 410

IMG_0769.jpg

Well done on both sporting and ethical terms! Personally I find No 4 shot excellent for Fox as it is hard hitting and doesn't suffer pattern problems like BB'S.I did like like the old Eley Maximum cartridge which was 1oz 3/16 I believe? :yes:

trust me there arnt any problems even in quarter choke bb works ok as do 1's 1/2 choke and 63 grms of them from a 3 1/2" case is what i use for shotgun lamping were rife is unsuitable, but just std no 1 for fox drives. 4's thats a duck load ;)

trust me there arnt any problems even in quarter choke bb works ok as do 1's 1/2 choke and 63 grms of them from a 3 1/2" case is what i use for shotgun lamping were rife is unsuitable, but just std no 1 for fox drives. 4's thats a duck load

Well at the end of the day Kent its each to his own, sorry His/Her own! :yes: I always found my wildfowling 4 loads worked well on Charly and so used them, normally in a 1/2 and full set up!Of course you can use heavier shot but if you go to the pattern plate it soon shows the short comings of "Lettered" shot pattern wise.You did mention 31/2 inch cases~? Thats a different ball game, as your using magnum loads effectively!But as I say, it comes down to personal preference and if its doing the job for you, thats all that matters!

trust me there arnt any problems even in quarter choke bb works ok as do 1's 1/2 choke and 63 grms of them from a 3 1/2" case is what i use for shotgun lamping were rife is unsuitable, but just std no 1 for fox drives. 4's thats a duck load

Well at the end of the day Kent its each to his own, sorry His/Her own! :yes: I always found my wildfowling 4 loads worked well on Charly and so used them, normally in a 1/2 and full set up!Of course you can use heavier shot but if you go to the pattern plate it soon shows the short comings of "Lettered" shot pattern wise.You did mention 31/2 inch cases~? Thats a different ball game, as your using magnum loads effectively!But as I say, it comes down to personal preference and if its doing the job for you, thats all that matters!

yes but i use std 3" no1's mainly for drives, i pattern everything before i shoot it on quarry- it yields many suprises especially on choke selection. No1 is awesome good in my gun using 1/4 or half, i don't know anyone in who shoots driven fox with 4's but if your happy fair do your just limiting the range no1 and larger will break ribs i don't think the same can be said of 4's so you have to sacrifice some of that pattern to inedequate penetration. Obviously range dependant -get close enough and skeet loads will punch holes in them