i was just wondering how many shots are used to test their rifles grouping? i normally do 3 shots but now considering going to 2 shots instead.

Sporter barrels 3 shots due to heat up, varmint and target 5 shots. Std groups in b/r etc are always 5 shots though. To truely evaluate a load you must fire multiple groups and then work out the average not just go off the best which could be fluke. Two shots is a waste of time IMO had plenty lousey 5 shot groups were two managed to go through the same hole

Load the gun with 3 rnds, not individually, this way its easier to keep the gun in the same place on the bags. chamber and shoot the 3 shots,get your breathing right and concentrate on each shot. Go and check your shots, scratch your head etc but let the barrel cool between strings. I normally find that one load will be pretty much conclusive but if in doupt I will load the two best loads in batchs of 4 then test these,you will get a better average taking out any trigger pulling etc.

Once I have a good load and the scopes set to how I want it I will go and clean the gun or whatever regime you use, then with a cold gun,doesnt have to be the same day,I will put a shot at the bull. This is the shot you will be using on a deer from a cold clean barrel, even if you shoot several deer in a day the barrel will usually be cold.

Good luck with it, it can be frustrating but you will get there.

Most people I know with centrefires fire a 3 shot string and then let the gun cool down me included. I don't wait for it to go stone cold before the next string and having the bolt open helps ( as long as it won't drop out ).In the winter the gun barrel will cool quite quickly,on a hot summer day it will take alot longer especially in the sun of course.

Edited by Redgum

Most people I know with centrefires fire a 3 shot string and then let the gun cool down me included. I don't wait for it to go stone cold before the next string and having the bolt open helps ( as long as it won't drop out ).In the winter the gun barrel will cool quite quickly,on a hot summer day it will take alot longer especially in the sun of course.

Will the 3 shot group not be affected on the 2nd & 3rd shot with the barrel heating up?

Will the 3 shot group not be affected on the 2nd & 3rd shot with the barrel heating up?

Yes it will be affected it just a question of how much. All barrels shift their point of impact as a result of heating. With some it can be very noticable, others don't seem too affected, but the theory is they all do it.

I have a .357 Mag Winchester 94 with a scope on it. A 10 shot string at 100yds will print the shots progressively further off to the left in a row as the barrel heats up, and it does it every time. I have learned to compensate.

You have to flip this discussion and consider the point of impact of a stone cold shot. Often its out of the group of later shots. Field shots with a stone cold barrel indeed a clean barrel often won't print to the same point of impact. This is perhaps more telling and for a stalker or a hunter because thats where most shots go.

When I was teaching pistol shooting we used to teach that you put two shots off into the backstop from a cold clean gun, leaving four to go on the target, reload six gives you ten shots on the target. After that its up to you whether you repeat the technique for susequent cards according to how much the gun has cooled down.

Edited by Vince Green

with my 30-06, i always set it up and practice with it firing one round at a time through a cold barrel because 99.9% of the time when deer stalking you only ever need one shot and it is always shot from a cold barrel. on the other hand i set up my .223 with 5 shot strings after firing one cheap factory bullet in to the back stop so the barrel is warm because when shooting rabbits the barrel will be hot.

Edited by aister

In the 'old' army (pre 1970 in my case) it was standard practice to fire two shots into the bank before considering the target.

Never knew why, but they were called 'sighters'. Idea was to get the oil out and WARM the barrel!

You then fired ten at the target. This was .303 and LSR days.

With my 22/250 I always shoot two into a bank before I go foxing.

Groups of three for zeroing - then cool barrel.

(With two how do you know which one you 'pulled'?)

i was thinking the same about the heat but think ill just stick with the 3 shot group then :good:

leave a bit of time between each shot, you aren't in a rush and most shots on foxes will be with a cold barrel so really thats what you want to be checking.

leave a bit of time between each shot, you aren't in a rush and most shots on foxes will be with a cold barrel so really thats what you want to be checking.

This was my thoughts exactly. My .223 will be used for lamping foxes, so when I am taking the shot the barrel will be cool. However, it was just to get a feel for how you's guys shot a group. I will maybe try and shoot a group firing 3 shots one after the other rather than waiting and see if there is much difference.

Edited by ollie

i was just wondering how many shots are used to test their rifles grouping? i normally do 3 shots but now considering going to 2 shots instead.

If it works for you then fine, but 2 shots still offers two many variables in my book, 3 narrows things down, and 5 is the business. :yes::yes:

i was thinking the same about the heat but think ill just stick with the 3 shot group then :good:

Cold Barrels? Warm barrels? Hot Barrels?

Fire a waster shot first if you like to get some heat into the barrel, and 3 relatively quick shots in a .223 should not cause too much of a heat issue.

BUT what do you do in the field with a CF? Most fire the odd 1 shot then the barrel cools again, there are few situations in the field when you heat the barrel of a CF too hot, most commonly the barrel will be cold(ish).

So, probably best to space out the zero shots a bit, but then you can get bored and tired quickly, and the conditions could change that little bit....SO...what is the answer.

Just do your best! And if you want to be really confident, then do it all again tomorrow and see if the results are the same! :good::good: