Which Tablet? Ipad, BlackBerry or?

V8landy

I quite often use both iPad and laptop (MacBook) together. I am typing this on my MacBook but have the iPad set up as an additional monitor so increasing my screen real estate by nearly 100%. Very useful. If I want to lie back on the couch and surf whilst watching TV I'll use the iPad. If I want to play some silly games I'll use the iPad. I I want to read the news whilst on the bog I will use the iPad. If I want to do complex spreadsheets and documents I'll use the macbook. Could I do with only one. Probably not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% iPad I'm on mine now, it's awsome

And I just learnt something about printing. Never bothered before. Thought about AirPrint as advised by Billy but my printer isn't compatible. However found free app on appstore, HP iPrint. Downloaded it in 10 seconds and printed my first photo. Result.

I'm really tempted to write a Jailbreaking guide on here. I've jailbroken quite a few PW iOS devices now, mostly over Skype and in under 10 minutes.

AVB celebrated when he found a free HP App. All Apps are free when you jailbreak ;):yay:

Edited by Billy.

I pad all the way am able to sync mac book, i pad and i phone together so have always got all my diarys ,and contacts updated,have had the ipad over a year and any problems apple will update,just a awsome bit of kit,not convinced of the 3g but there is a wifi signal for big downloads,trouble comes when i try to touch the screen on other computers,flash problem is getting less,

I'm really tempted to write a Jailbreaking guide on here. I've jailbroken quite a few PW iOS devices now, mostly over Skype and in under 10 minutes.

AVB celebrated when he found a free HP App. All Apps are free when you jailbreak ;):yay:

Forgive the numpty question, Billy, I use computers/imac/ipad but have woefully little knowledge of programming etc :blush:. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I am interested, what is 'jailbreaking'?

Jailbreaking is apple parlance for obtaining access to the root filesystem. It basically opens up what is otherwise a closed system. Apple are no doubt spending mucho dosh on making it much harder to do on future devices - some of which will have such protection features built into the hardware.

I fail to understand how anyone who owns an IPad cannot be hugely frustrated by the lack of flash. I love to have the IPad lying around in the living room to watch things on Iplayer, or surf stuff on the net. The lack of flash usually has me running upstairs to the real computer to look at something or other that the stupid IPad won't play. Almost all sites which have any video embedded or animation require flash, no matter what the indoctrinated say about flash, it's endemic on the net and not having it is mind numbingly irritating, especially as it's just a handbag fight between apple and adobe which stops it being on the IPad.

The IPad is a great extra to have around, or would be if it were fully able to browse the net. If I played games on it, or did whatever else people find to do with their devices I might see it differently, but as a primarily Internet interaction device it is deeply flawed.

Oh, and another thing. How come the wireless reception on a device so reliant on a wireless connection is so poor? My laptop has a much better wireless receiver, I can easily get a signal from the garage, but the iPad fails half way down my 25ft garden!

I'm sure you've got a much better tablet device designed, Tim ;) that's a lot of battery and hardware stuffed into an iPad.

If you're fussed about wifi, just extend your network with an AirPort network. I've got loads now and they're the best purchase I've made in a long time.

Raja, thanks for saving me the time to type that ;) I'm writing this on my iPhone so not the easiest to explain..!

An IPad with flash would be good enough for me! If I were getting carried away I might like better reception too, but maybe that's a pipe dream as those massive dongles you can put in a laptop are clearly far too big to cram in an IPad! :rolleyes:

While we're in fantasy land, a USB socket might not be beyond the wit of man, but I'd be very happy just to have flash added to an otherwise handy device. Maybe when Jobs kicks the bucket they'll have the sense to include flash in future devices. They've got it on apple computers after all!

An IPad with flash would be good enough for me! If I were getting carried away I might like better reception too, but maybe that's a pipe dream as those massive dongles you can put in a laptop are clearly far too big to cram in an IPad! :rolleyes:

While we're in fantasy land, a USB socket might not be beyond the wit of man, but I'd be very happy just to have flash added to an otherwise handy device. Maybe when Jobs kicks the bucket they'll have the sense to include flash in future devices. They've got it on apple computers after all!

People are so hung up about Flash, it's just stupid...

If we didn't develop new languages we'd still be stuck in the COBOL era.

USB? Clearly Thunderbolt means nothing to you then :P Next thing you'll be complaining about the disappearance of Optical drives... ;)

Edited by Billy.

USB? Clearly Thunderbolt means nothing to you then :P Next thing you'll be complaining about the disappearance of Optical drives... ;)

Speak English boy! :lol: whatis thunderbolt and I guess optical drives is like another way of describing scenic route?

i like android, having had an HTC mobile. do like this... tablet

and there are a few more which seem ok. the Acer tablets seem to be up there with the best. never had an ipad myself although seen a few...

i would want it for skyping, video/film, photos, bluetooth connectivity and brwosing the interent through wireless

atb

Speak English boy! :lol: whatis thunderbolt and I guess optical drives is like another way of describing scenic route?

Thunderbolt is a new cable and interface. Well, I say new, it uses the DisplayPort.

It transfers data at an incredible rate - 10gbit/s. Compared with USB 2.0's 40mbit/s and 3.0's 4gbit/s.

Whilst this will make no difference to transferring something like a film from a laptop to an external Hard drive, Thunderbolt allows streaming of so much information, such as multiple HD videos to numerous monitors.

An optical drive is a CD/DVD/Blueray drive.

People are so hung up about Flash, it's just stupid...

Whether the flash program or whatever it is is stupid or not is irrelevant. the fact is that an awful lot of websites use flash and the cretins at Apple decide that they should make their device incompatible with large sections of the net, just to be bloody minded and proscriptive. If their argument had any validity you wouldn't be able to run flash on any of their proper computers either, but you can, so it doesn't.

If they gave you flash, you'd just complain about how your iPad/iPhone had a half hour battery life.

The reason why Flash exists for the Macs is because Adobe made the application for the Mac. They've tried to develop flash for the iPhone, but Apple just refused to approve the App.

I don't think Flash is downloadable through the Mac App Store either.

If that were the case, and I don't really believe it is, they (Apple) could explain that using flash mysteriously used 1000 times the battery power of any other program, and that's why they don't use it. However, they do say that it's a dead language and HTML5 is the new black etc, which is all very well, but irrelevant until everyone with a website has changed over to HTML5.

Apple lovers should read "The Stepford Wives" sometime. :lol:

We have 2 ipads in our house. Great for some things but surfing isn't one of them, takes ages for pages to reload. Not that good on YouTube either.

There is always a fight to get hold of the Motorola Xoom.

Not my experience. I find surfing to be better than on Laptop. What isn't good about Youtube?