Small 4x4 for none off road use

HDAV

Are there any other small 4x4's worth considering apart from Terios and Jimny? its for none off road use just some extra height and grip in bad weather, may cross a field or 2 at some point but that's about it.

Rav4 etc are too thirsty with 2.0 litre engines and possibly looking for an Auto box

fourtraks aren't bad if you get one that isn't too rusty. Cheap to buy easy to fix and the engines are pretty bullet proof. You just have to be pretty careful about the old tin worm as most have it just a case of how badly they have it.

I'm on the lookout for one of these when I can find a good rust free one lots of convertible but I want a hardtop from what I have heard they are very good off road and good on road and cheep to run worth thinking about or even a grand vitara just a bit bigger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W-reg-Suzuki-Vitara-1-6-JX-4u2-H-top-Blue-Silver-/280676643203?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4159a1b183#ht_1308wt_1141

I once drove a 1.6 4U2 thrashiest twichtyist thing ever it just seemed to scream down the road slowly and bumpily! Got a Rav4 in the end far better ride comfort and spec (and never got stuck either)

In fact there is a similar Vitara just down the road from me for sale for £950 IIRC

Edited by HDAV

I just put that one as an example of a vitara but I would not pay that much for one. I must say that I do like the look of the Rav4 but as has been said the fuel consumption is an issue and no low gearing if you do get stuck.

indeed but it does have a diff lock on the transfer box (better than nothing) the 2.0l petrol we had was written off and bought a D4D to replace it (not as much fun but should do better on fuel).

So Terios, Jimny, Fiat Sedici, SX4 anymore?

I have a suzuki vitara jx4u, had it about 2 weeks now, its not perfect bit of rust here and there but i did take it greenlaning and its does seem very capable! It's not the best on fuel but i have been doing just short journeys really but i like it, it may look girly but it does exactly what i want it to do.