best air rifle for hunting

miniswell

£200 to £300 new or secondhand? You cannot go far wrong with a BSA or Wierauch springer. I think the BSA Supersport is probably the most popular hunting rifle around. Personally I prefer a CZ 634. More accurate than the BSA without the weight of a HW35 - I bought one in .22 for £185 a few weeks back. Been shooting with my .177 CZ 630 since about 1987 without any probs. You can get a CZ, fit a decent scope, mounts, light, slings and bag etc for well within your budget.

Mate the only spring rifle to get is one of the Weihrauchs. Either the HW95 if buying from new or get a second hand HW80. Both are easy to tune and will never let you down. Mine has only recently gone into retirement after 90k+ shots over 25 years.

Mate the only spring rifle to get is one of the Weihrauchs. Either the HW95 if buying from new or get a second hand HW80. Both are easy to tune and will never let you down. Mine has only recently gone into retirement after 90k+ shots over 25 years.

Agreed, go with an HW, If it's break barrel get an 80 - the carbine is nice but not many 2nd ones about, but the best would be a 77 or 97, you could pick up a good one for £200. My lad & I shoot 77's with a combined age of over 50 years & they never let us down :good:

post-41661-0-87167200-1313095147.jpg

Edited by PLH1966

Been a lover of HW,s since I started shooting (35 years ago)and it hurts to admit it but the TX200 is a far better rifle than the 77,80 or 95 form HW-cant compare the other models cos I,ve never owned them.

Comparing a break barrel to a fixed barrel underlever aint apples with apples, they both have thier advantages and i have owned both. The break barrel is the easier faster loader as a hunter and gives only fractionally on accuraccy to such an extent you couldn't tell them apart as hunters, the fixed barrel TX has the edge on targets when your not in a hurry in the dark or in a difficult spot

I'd be looking for an HW77k in .177 for hunting, there is also a slip-on silencer available for it.

The TX200 can be abit heavy for hunting and the Hunter Carbine TX can be abit hard for cocking due to the short underleaver.

you dont need a big scope either, I zero on 10x and hunt on 5x.

• 1 month later...

hi,

i am looking for the best spring break barrel air rifle for rabbits,pigeons,squirrels etc. needs to be about 200-300 pounds. thanks

Whichever one you can do the best group with. Try a few out at local club!

I shoot a Fenman and falcon fn12, both accurate (can hit a rimmy case at 30 yards shot after shot) but previous owner of Fenman was useless with it! He bought a superten and I outshot his new supermen with his old Fenman. So its mainly down to guy pulling the trigger!

Been a lover of HW,s since I started shooting (35 years ago)and it hurts to admit it but the TX200 is a far better rifle than the 77,80 or 95 form HW-cant compare the other models cos I,ve never owned them.

Likewise, I've owned quite a few HW77s in forty years, but my current rifle; Air Arms Prosport beats it hands down. Never had a break barrel since I was a kid though. Back then they didn't seat right and the barrel drooped. They might have come on since then.

I have used to hunt with Crosman, Sharp, Titan, BSA, Weihrach, Webley, Sheridan. Lost count how many various models etc over the years but the one I would recomend is pretty much any Weihrach.

Two friends recently got TX200 types, one is for sale(say's it's too heavy) and the other stays at home!.

Underdog.

There is little difference in weight between the TX and the full size 77 or 97 (both underlevers).If you want to compare the break barrel models then the Prosport should be included.You cannot offer criticism against a gun for being heavy if you tried it first-unless it ate a lot of pies on the way home.The last HW I bought was a pile of poo and I was disappointed that my,up till then,favorite Airgun maker had let me down.Bought nothing but Air Arms since that day and have yet to be let down in any way-superb engineering.

There is little difference in weight between the TX and the full size 77 or 97 (both underlevers).If you want to compare the break barrel models then the Prosport should be included.You cannot offer criticism against a gun for being heavy if you tried it first-unless it ate a lot of pies on the way home.The last HW I bought was a pile of poo and I was disappointed that my,up till then,favorite Airgun maker had let me down.Bought nothing but Air Arms since that day and have yet to be let down in any way-superb engineering.

Thanks bruno, it was just my opinion (something that seems wrong with some around here or is it britain in general now?).

The Air arms guns are very well made indeed and yes Weihrach quality has gone down hill for sure. As it happens I am quite disapointed with my new HW45. My comments were not actual critisms just observation and opinion. In no way am I qualified to critisise Air arms.

Sorry if I upset you, did you find your dummy ;)

U.

Some useful points to make here, the modern BSA spring rifle is not a patch on the old ones, they are made across the water in Spain, still with BSA barrels mind you, but still made in Spain by Gamo, sold at English made prices. Webleys are made in Turkey, by Hatsan, all of them, including the PCP rifles, says something when you can buy the same rifle with a better safety catch called a Hatsan for under half the price of the Webley.

Top of the crop for your choice has to be the Air Arms TX200, I just picked one of these up secondhand, cost £160, still making 10.6 foot pound energy despite being over 20 years old! It has been well cared for with a few nicks and dings on the stock, but this is to be expected with most 20 year old weapons. Last weekend I set her up on the local shooting range, I was hitting dessert spoon spinners at 45 metres, with a Hawke 3-9x40 scope, in what can only be described as appalling conditions to set any rifle up in! The wind was diagonal and hellishly gusty. This springer hit and was a delight to fire.

Second, well that sort of money can get you a new gun, the HW95 is very good, break barrel, the wife picked one up recently and loves it. Do not buy BSA or Webley now, they are not the guns they were. Stick to Air Arms or HW (the 90, 95, 97, 77)!

Edited by secretagentmole