Deterring Foxes

Anyone got any ingenious methods of keeping charlie away from pheasants pens. Besides the obvious, shooting and snaring.

I was thinking(this will sound disgusting to most) of getting a few old mattress and covering them in urine in the hope Charlie gets a whiff and keeps away.

Any suggestions lads, we seem to have a few clver boys around who just wont come into the lamp.

Anyone got any ingenious methods of keeping charlie away from pheasants pens. Besides the obvious, shooting and snaring.

I was thinking(this will sound disgusting to most) of getting a few old mattress and covering them in urine in the hope Charlie gets a whiff and keeps away.

Any suggestions lads, we seem to have a few clver boys around who just wont come into the lamp.

Electric fence :D . I think that ******* around the perimiter of a pen has got to be a deterant, your idea might make this more efficiant but at some point you may have to remove the matresses :sick:

Edited by hambone

Some rags (I use all the odd socks I seem to accumulate!) soaked in diesel and tied at intervals around the pen, about 2 foot off the ground and about 20 foot away from the pen, forming a 'defensive perimeter'. Also put them on all tracks leading to the pen. If you can still get some Renardine that is better, in fact I would guess any very smelly oily substance will work.

Saying all that electric fence would be my No 1 choice.

Sorry lads I should have been a bit more precise in my question, I meant in general vicinity of the pen, we have an electric fence around the actual pen put the unlucky poults who are managing to get a couple of hundred yards from the pen are been picked off.

Good idea on the diesel rags might be a bit less messy than urine :sick:

the human hair with soap shaveings added to the hair so the moisture in the air keeps the scent a live .hung up in a old pair of nylons .i havent tried it but been told it works you dont know till you try .

MY GAL RUNS A SALON HAD AS MUCH HAIR AS I WANTED NOT (FOXES) WE HAD A LOT OF MINK AROUND AND IT WORKED WELL ON THEM

MY GAL RUNS A SALON HAD AS MUCH HAIR AS I WANTED NOT (FOXES) WE HAD A LOT OF MINK AROUND AND IT WORKED WELL ON THEM

remember dettering them is just makeing the problem hungry and it/they will come back later when the birds are out the pen,use the birds as bait and snare/trap the whilst you can

If your birds are getting 200 yards away then they should have been in the pen some weeks so are capable of flying 100 yards or so. All you can do is snare any hedges leading to your pens and lamp hard.

A

The birds are heading into their third week in the pen and are well capable of flying but during the day I still feel they can be very stupid and therefor still likely to be got by Mr. Fox.

Peeing all around the perimiter might well work even of it does sound a bit messy mate. Well worth a try though, especially if it is a big perimiter and you have to keep going back to the pub to refill your bladder in order to get round the entire perimiter! And remember to tell the wife that it has to be done regularly - At least once every week! :rolleyes:

P.S. Might be better to do it in the dark when there are less "prying eyes" about - We don't want you getting arrested for indescent exposure mate! :lol::lol::lol:

eary mornings be in place before first light,you must know where he ,or they are coming from ,hit them before they enter the wood ,why do you want to frighten them off ?there gonna couse you heartach,double your snares,any local boys with terriers ? if you can't get on top of this get help .

I very much doubt this fox will be about early in the morning, I reckon he/shes living up in the hills about a mile from the pen and I'd imagine is well home before daylight.(but I will give it a try)

Our pen is in a bog not a wood. I want to frighten them off because I'm finding it near impossible to get them with the lamp rifle and need some way of just making them think twice about coming near the pen, and I have snares set up.

I have a terrier myself but just havent found the time to go out looking for earths yet.