magnet at an angle

bakerboy

Just recently some shooters have informed that my magnet is about to fall over. ???

I place my magnet at about 45 or more degrees, and postion the arms, 1 high and 1 low, this then gives the impression the the birds are diving into the stubble/crop whatever :yes: .

I find it gives a realistic picture :good: , does anyone else do it ? :hmm:

My magnet has moved in soft soil before and ended up at an angle, I know what you mean about that up down movement. I was just worried it would eventually tip right over so quickly refix it in the ground. Mine doesn't have the spikes to do that on purpose, it would never be stable enough.

Edited by Cosd

I just alter the arms to the same effect :good:

The arms never get to the ground they will always be 18" or so above, by tilting you have the effect of a bird skimming the ground and rising again, more of an oliptical (if that is the right word) orbit, diving and soaring may be a better description.

Edited by bakerboy

My magnet is better than a scarecrow, never had a pigeon near it?????

like that down here now, havent used 1 for a long time!

they seem to come in when just have gliders and statics

put whirly out and they dont come anywhere near, have tried all different angles, heights, speed, positions........no good

put whirly out and they dont come anywhere near, have tried all different angles, heights, speed, positions........no good

best leave it at home mate, i have never ever had a bird anywhere near mine, tried eveything dead birds the lot.Floaters sre the way forward.

never had any luck with mine and i mean never

I find that quite odd. Is it that you rarely go shooting so that your chance for success is limited? Is the land you shoot over, shot too often by others?

I can honestly say that 99% of the time,i have success with a magnet. This doesn't mean that every bird commits - that will rarely happen with any set up - just that i always have birds interested in the pattern.

I found recently that when we packed up the hide and magnet the birds started flocking in. Previously, I packed up the hide into the car and the birds kept coming and coming - shooting at the pigeons like a scene from the Alamo. I have never had that before. For clarity I drove the car to where I was decoying to load up

I tilt the magnet on most crops so that you get the rise and fall effect,I've even rammed the spike into a tree root in the hedge when the birds are on flight line behind me on another shoot. DB and I made a magnet out of a bike wheel hub which was operated by a string from the hide this had a track for the arm to follow which pushed the decoy up into view then dropped back into the downed barley this was great untill it fell apart.

totally lost it on sunday, fed up with the magnet put 2 x carts into it and blew the useless thing to pieces.