Shooting Incidents

unapalomablanca

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of any shooting accidents in the past, e.g. at clay shoots or rough shoots etc, when someone has been killed or seriously injured? I just wondered as i've never heard of any but i suppose the law of averages must mean that there has been.

I sustained frightful stomach injuries back in April whilst shooting after eating one of mrs ack-acks scones.

Does anyone know of any shooting accidents in the past, e.g. at clay shoots or rough shoots etc, when someone has been killed or seriously injured? I just wondered as i've never heard of any but i suppose the law of averages must mean that there has been.

yes fell out of the car while trying to get out quick for a bunny that I had hit :blush:

face full of mud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney_hunting_incident

Not heard of one this side of the pond...

Our local clay ground (closed now) had a guy walk in to do some clay shooting, he was out having a shot when he pointed the gun at his forearm and pulled the trigger on purpose...the poor young guy trapping for him that worked for the playground was apparently as White as a ghost.

Also one of our local gun shops (Anderson guns) had a guy come in to look at a gun, when it was taken off the rack for him he popped a cartridge in and blew his brains out....

Scary stuff!

i hav eseen a with my own 2 eyes

a woman nearly blinded by a ricoshey from a 410

a picker up pepperd by 6 bits of shot in the back of his head (he got well paid out for that thou)

a guy hit in the rib with bb pellet cracking the rib and going ceptic (my rib :oops::oops: )

and more italians trying to make up for the war that god knows what!!! bloody dangerous bunch

Accidents in shooting are pretty rare to be honest. About 1 in 2000 shooters will be involved in an incident per year.

The vast majority of accidents involve property damage, broken windows, power lines that sort of thing as well as hitting the wrong quarry i.e. out shooting fox and shoot a sheep instead, or miss the fox and shoot a cow or horse.

I also see quite a few livestock claims when shoots leave feed bins unsecure and the livestock gorge on the wheat.

Incidents where someone gets shot are rare, but as you can imagine typically have far greater consequences.

On average about 11% of claims involve a third party, and of those only about 3% are serious- egg loss of eye or limb.

So, in a nut shell:

[*]Make sure you know what you are shooting at

[*]If you are shooting birds, only shoot those with sky around them

[*]If you are shooting ground game remember your shot will probably go beyond the intended target, and may well ricochet

[*]Keep feed / feed bins secure

David

Our local clay ground (closed now) had a guy walk in to do some clay shooting, he was out having a shot when he pointed the gun at his forearm and pulled the trigger on purpose...the poor young guy trapping for him that worked for the playground was apparently as White as a ghost.

Also one of our local gun shops (Anderson guns) had a guy come in to look at a gun, when it was taken off the rack for him he popped a cartridge in and blew his brains out....

Scary stuff!

Is it the Buckfast factor?

About 25 years ago my best mates brother helped himself to his shotgun (he had no certificate) to go shooting with a couple of mates ,they were walking a beet field when a pheasant got up and he swung through and had a shot hitting his friend next to him,he had to have several pellets removed and also has some left in him.

When I was about 15 was out with a airgun and my mate who was a farmers son had a bolt action 410 we were having a wander around the farm yard when my mate thought it would be a good idea to have a go at bashing the panels out of a old door laying on the ground with the butt of the 410 , it went off and I actually saw the hair lift up on the front of his head :yes: he did not have a scratch !.

The last incident I was involved in was around 7 or 8 years ago I was sharing a hide with a friend who sat with the gun across his lap ,next thing I heard a bang and he had put a shot across the front of me leaving a hole in my side of the hide net :no: he is now a ex friend and I dont share hides unless there is only one gun loaded :yes:

This is one of the famous one's from near me. The other is the ex copper who went postal and shot his family before finishing himself off at a local clayground! ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jan/14/ukcrime.topstories3 )

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2005/11/05/cop-shot-in-woods-115875-16335289/

The story as I've heard it from my FEO re:the above, is that they were out foxing... Saw a pair of eyes and fired. The pair of eyes we're of the police dog sat next to said officer, missed the dog and shot the copper in the stomach.

Edited by garyb

i know deep down we all know some horror storys , but on a site that promotes and encourages shooting and the like , do we really need a whole thread listing the short comings of our sport ? its would be easier for a anti to bang in pw to find arguments against shooting than it would be to do it through google soon .

sorry to sound a kill joy , but im sure that we are all safety consious enough to know the pitfalls and issues that go hand in hand with owning a firearm .

only my view to this thread , carry on xx

adi

p.s.

has pw got a spell checker built in ? i need it !

i know deep down we all know some horror storys , but on a site that promotes and encourages shooting and the like , do we really need a whole thread listing the short comings of our sport ? its would be easier for a anti to bang in pw to find arguments against shooting than it would be to do it through google soon .

sorry to sound a kill joy , but im sure that we are all safety consious enough to know the pitfalls and issues that go hand in hand with owning a firearm .

only my view to this thread , carry on xx

adi

p.s.

has pw got a spell checker built in ? i need it !

To be honest I think the antis will be quite contented with all the stories of us shooting ourselves ! ,they seem to value annimal life higher than human !

On my neighbouring shoot i no the gun to

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/campaigns/incinerator/beater_shot_in_freak_accident_1_537686

Also we have had two guns have heart attacks and die on our shoot aswell also my mate has had somebody die on him on the marsh

thanks for asking but sorry i wont be able to make that day you asked me on! ha

Yrs ago on the telly, there used to be a government ad , with a guy getting over a barbed wire fence and his loaded guns trigger caught on the wire and shot one of his shooting buddies. with the slogan "dont forget the countryside code" or something similar. Anyone remember that??

BB. :good: