Adding crows to a pigeon pattern....?

Bigamos

I also put them to one side and well spaced,I often only put out 2-3 decoys, you just want the rook/crow to come and have a look, not necessarily to land.

When shooting only over crow decoys, I am quite surprised at the amount of pigeons that will happily come into land with the decoys, but when only using pigeon decoys, the rooks/crows rarely even come to have a look (the jackdaws do).

• 2 months later...

I tend to place crows to the side of the pattern for instance on a fence post of top of the hedge :) can be good for giving the decoyin birds convidence in playin ball I've found

Confidence *

The theory that crows in a pattern wll give pigeons confidence is a load of rubbish. If you want to shoot pigeons then use pigeon decoys, if crows are what you're after add some crow decoys.

theres an old man i know who 80 odd , and stll shoots 5 days aweek [ if birds about], he always puts 6 dead crows out with his pigeon decoy patten,

he been shooting near on 70 years so i guess this theory isnt a load of rubbish

Edited by browning n spaniel

theres an old man i know who 80 odd , and stll shoots 5 days aweek [ if birds about], he always puts 6 dead crows out with his pigeon decoy patten,

it can work because you always get a few crows passing or just having a nosey when your pigeon shooting so a few crow deeks or how many you want to use set out about 30 yards away and to one side of the pigeons deeks works done it loads of times and shot both pigeons and crows on the day, don,t do it all that often now but used to do it a lot years ago

Edited by yickdaz

it can work because you always get a few crows passing or just having a nosey when your pigeon shooting so a few crow deeks or how many you want to use set out about 30 yards away and to one side of the pigeons deeks works done it loads of times and shot both pigeons and crows on the day, don,t do it all that often now but used to do it a lot years ago

i hate crow commimg anywhere near me or my pattern, all they do is keep squalking which winds me up, and im just too tight to waste 23p on a cartridge to shoot um :lol:

Edited by browning n spaniel

I have always used them closer to the hide and not in with the pigeons. if on a tight budget black 60 denier tights over the top of a bit of black pipe cut to shape works. got tights from wife before anyone asks!

wanna be carefull with that you will get members asking for your missus tights :lol::lol:

The theory that crows in a pattern wll give pigeons confidence is a load of rubbish. If you want to shoot pigeons then use pigeon decoys, if crows are what you're after add some crow decoys.

Quite....

Carrion crows chase there own off a bit of food let alone sit side by side with a pigeon! They will drift over a pattern to see what they can scavenge, but invariably give it a wide birth, I will shoot them given the chance, usually I flick on to the ¾ choke if I see one in the distance and sit very still, then wack it if I can.

Fair play to the corvid shooters not my cup of tea as there is very little return on them, however if the pigeons keep up there acorn feast it might well be very tempted.... :crazy:

TEH

I've put crow decoys next to my pigeon decoys before. This isn't because i think it gives pigeons confidence- that's rubbish- but because i can also decoy a crow or two.