Shotgun - Advice on Leads

I'm fairly new to shotgun shooting, mainly shot air rifles upto now.

I went out monday evening and was trying to shoot pigeons for the first time on a estate i have permission. You will see from my a prevoius post i was unsuccesful.

My practice shooting as been on clays and the pigeons i was tring to shoot were alot further away than anything i've tried shooting at a clay ground, as its hard ground to decoy on as its just grass but as its surrounded with woods it has lot of intersecting flightline.

I was wondering if anybody had some advice or links to good lead advice, as i'm in the dark on this.

I note that most the advice when decoying is that the kill zone is about 25 yards, where i am shooting to get the birds down to that height is hard as my shooting postion is in a valley and most of the flightline are high flying across the valley hence they are about 60yards i reckon.

I want go back sunday and either set up a clay trap and practice on that if i can simulate the pigeons well enough or try at a few more pigeons.

Either way i think i need to have a play around with my chokes as well. I was hoping that if someone could point me in the right sort of region on shot and choke combination and leads that would be most apporoaite at about the 60yard range.

Daz.

My advice would be, try to take an experienced pigeon shooter along with you. He may be able to show you better ways of getting the pigeon closer, or a better place to shoot them on your permission, or something else.

You may even find that they're not 60 yards away anyway.

Oh, and don't get too involved with the choke/cartridge thing. They'll all drop the bird if you're on it.

get yourself off to a Skeet range and (with no disrespect) leart to shoot there :yes: you will get all the angles at a skeet range that you will come across anywhere either in the field or clay ground (but that's a different story) at the skeet range you will get as much shootin as you'll want and all the practice on the targets you don't get on with,there is no better place to learn how to shoot in the fields than a skeet range. btw I'm a Sportin/Fitasc shooter :good:

I'm fairly new to shotgun shooting, mainly shot air rifles upto now.

<snipped>

I was hoping that if someone could point me in the right sort of region on shot and choke combination and leads that would be most apporoaite at about the 60yard range.

Daz.

You should not be contemplating shooting live quarry at 6o yards for several more years, if ever. I can gaurantee that most people on this site, including me, can not hit 60 yard targets consistently.

As above, get on the clays, get some lessons and do the leg work there. At 60 yards you really need to know what your doing or don't bother. Steer clear of open chokes if shooting the birds past 30 yards as you will get more winged than dead. Closer stuff any shell and choke will do. Best off putting 2 halves in and never taking them out again.

Good luck

at the moment, just shells and a floater.

I know some people don't like them, but I use F.U.D. pigeon decoys. I'd say I shoot birds within 20 yards most of the time, and they seem to be very relaxed walking amongst the F.U.D.s.

I'd say give them a go, or borrow some if you can. I never got pigeons very close using shells tbh.

I have used shells many many times and had them land within a few yards of the hide..they work!

50yard is max range for me, I wouldn't push it any further with the carts I use.

Practise makes me perfect. You should be concentrating on hide and pattern to get them closer

If you can get a whirly/rotary thing, giv that a go, you never know! it might draw a few in close enough.

You don't need them to fully commit to the decoys to have a good day.

If you can get them to just come abit lower 'for a look' you could get some proper shooting!

Edited by TJ91

aye the old lead debate lol well my dad used to practicly give no lead on pigeons where as i may give 3 inch i have a steady swing i can never tell somebody how much lead to give they may have a slow swing or a very vast swing then theres range to youl get your own style eventualy mate get someone to go with you and look behind you or join a clay club for a few pointers theres also some good books to have a glance at if you a boring f####r like me shotgun marksmanship by percy stanbury and g l carlisle old book but will answer many questions you have and also the better shot by ken davies and holland and holland bit more modern. try and get the birds as close as poss if you start your pattern close say 15/20 yard by the time your birds get into killing area they hopefully be 25 to 35 yard away good clean kills again loadsa books and info on this forum or google on subject, 1 little tip i will give you is get yourself a pocket notebook when you 1st start get all the info on all patterns wind directions everything you can lay your hands on and simple sketch it into the notebook wind, hide, = decoy pattern this ect then if you ever in a situation where you thinks *** am i gona do here you got the info with you and happy days the more you do it the less ul need to look at it. if the birds you are after are 6o yard away you need to get em closer mate dont think its fair on the bird taking shots at that range if you not sure you may even hit them and not know and they die later, are you decoying these birds or shooting under flightline if you doin flightline have a quick rece you may find the birds are actualy roosting on your patch and tackle em that way now leaves are droping if not you could always try some lofters to to try n bring em down into range if you trying to decoy em onto something they dont want get on you may be ******* into wind cos theyl gladly keep flying if everything aint hunky dory.

shotguns are short range weapons, you will be confident enough to take some at longer ranges in time, but when your learning its more important ( was for me ) to learn the rhythm of bringing the gun up, staying calm, focusing,and finding the correct lead will come with practice, i found i was giving everything way to much lead when i first started out, but its allot of trial and error, inthe end i bought a box of clays and threw them by hand and made sure i hit them every time. Just to get used to bringing the gun up in a rush and still staying in controll. I didnt take a shot at everything when i was learning just followed it and made sure i was "on target" when i would have pulled the trigger. From shooting air rifles i had trouble with the fact that with a shotgun you have two shots, so for a long time i was just using one barrel but you get used to it, and second shots, when you have less time to think usally, are more difficult depending on each shot but just focus on hitting it first.