Got my first deer with a bow.

Dr_Scholl

You said it better than I ever could.

I probably should've clarified earlier, but it wasn't a true gut shot. The arrow hit the actual stomach and part of the liver, the latter was probably why it bled out as fast as it did and I missed the intestines entirely. Nothing was putrid when we gutted it. I was surprised how clean it was.

I have been shooting deer for many years and still suffer from buck fever . Before people condem they should try shooting a bow from the confines of a high seat . It can be more than awkward with a rifle let alone drawing a bow and getting an accurate shot off .

Harnser .

Bruno...maybe not American tribes but remember the English Longbow was a feared weapon for centuries.

Too much is given away today in the name of progress.

Each chip we allow to be taken is a little bit closer to the final goal of no hunting whatsoever which is why I will always support things such as fox hunting even though I do not do it myself.

Sometimes when we bend over backwards to appear to be compliant, all we do is present our balls for a better kicking.

If its that difficult,Harnser,and live quarry is involved then why do it? Whats next?shooting by sound?backwards thru our legs?-just dont see the point.As for someone suggesting that the Americans protect their heritage by bow hunting-which tribe of white man was that then?

Yanks are just somewhat different to us, deer I've mixed views on but they also use bows on large dangerous game up to and including elephants. The bleeding out argument is fine but personally I'll stick to something that is a bit quicker.

I thought everyone would have learned their lesson by now....

Posts like this just bring all the 'hollier than though, never pulled a shot, respect for your quarry' brigade out of the woodwork!...

Personally, I wouldn't bother posting..

Well done though! :yes:

Yanks are just somewhat different to us, deer I've mixed views on but they also use bows on large dangerous game up to and including elephants. The bleeding out argument is fine but personally I'll stick to something that is a bit quicker.

Our deer season is set up differently than yours too. When it scomes to deer and black bear, we have an archery season, muzzle loading (black powder) season, and a regular firearms season.

The county I hunt in has no muzzle loading season, so you either use a bow or you don't hunt until mid November.

I thought everyone would have learned their lesson by now....

Posts like this just bring all the 'hollier than though, never pulled a shot, respect for your quarry' brigade out of the woodwork!...

Personally, I wouldn't bother posting..

Well done though! :yes:

I do tend to agree with your comments, but as long as its their opinion, thats fine.

If they start to try to convince you to agree with them, thats the time to ignore them. :yes:

Bruno...maybe not American tribes but remember the English Longbow was a feared weapon for centuries.

Too much is given away today in the name of progress.

Each chip we allow to be taken is a little bit closer to the final goal of no hunting whatsoever which is why I will always support things such as fox hunting even though I do not do it myself.

Sometimes when we bend over backwards to appear to be compliant, all we do is present our balls for a better kicking.

To play devils advocate for a moment, the longbow wasn't designed for hunting, it was used to kill french troops at long distances and they didn't need accuracy or clean kills, they just wanted to cause damage.

I'd love to have a go using bows but not for hunting - I'm not judging, it's just an opinion.

To play devils advocate for a moment, the longbow wasn't designed for hunting, it was used to kill french troops at long distances and they didn't need accuracy or clean kills, they just wanted to cause damage.

I'd love to have a go using bows but not for hunting - I'm not judging, it's just an opinion.

I beg to differ , the bow and broad head arrows have been used for hundreds ,if not thousands of years for shooting game and the broad head arrow was indeed designed for shooting large game . Arrows are a bit like rifle bullets ,designed for different jobs .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I beg to differ , the bow and broad head arrows have been used for hundreds ,if not thousands of years for shooting game and the broad head arrow was indeed designed for shooting large game . Arrows are a bit like rifle bullets ,designed for different jobs .

Harnser .

I'm sure you are right, I was lead to believe that English Longbows were used for long ranges and smaller bows for accuracy and maneuverability when game hunting, but as much of what I 'know' is from overly dramatized history programs and wikipedia, I'm always ready to stand corrected.

ATB.

You said it better than I ever could.

I probably should've clarified earlier, but it wasn't a true gut shot. The arrow hit the actual stomach and part of the liver, the latter was probably why it bled out as fast as it did and I missed the intestines entirely. Nothing was putrid when we gutted it. I was surprised how clean it was.

I stand corrected ;)