Never knew such things existed...

Paul T

Just watched Kyska's post with the F16 afterburner test and as usual got distracted with other Youtube vids and found these things....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxLuShpaKrQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4RezmEpqM&feature=related

All the RC planes I've seen buzzed around like a demented hornet, propeller driven and poorly controlled by a single bloke in a cagoule. A mate has just been bought an RC buggy by his missus I looked at it and thought 'Why??' I guess I just never really got the whole RC thing, but even I have to admit these jets are superb :yes: .

Do I want one? Yeah, I could seriously fancy building and flying a real jet :yes:. Has anyone any experience of RC jets? Are they subject to any regs? And are we talking several hundred quid or several thousand?

Cheers

Watched these jet like boats once that were placed in a lake with a cable attached to a rod in the middle of the lake. The guys would start these things and would simply let them go and boy did they move, they would drive round in circles at incredible speeds till the fuel was out.

Incredible to watch how fast these things were.

I imagine those jet airplanes cost thousands, and surely you must need some sort of licence before flying?

Can't say I'd like one anywhere near me, they must be lethal in the wrong hands!

you don't need a license as such but you do need a competency cert,and need to be third-party insured, don't worry your perfectly safe, the wrong hands would never get them off the ground (or started up for that matter)

KW

I knew someone who was trying to build an RC plane that would reach some height previously unrecorded in RC plane realms. It worked off a jet turbine driving a propelor, like the big russian planes did. Never did find out if he succeeded or not. I do know his first attempt blew up or something though. :hmm:

don't do helicopters but love nitro monster trucks

A mate of mine used to have a jet RC plane, but much smaller than the ones above... Maybe 4ft in length. Great sound they make!

I've recently got a couple of RC buggies, and they're great fun - Attach a tiny camera, and you get some interesting footage.

what buggies do you have?

post-27122-0-19044600-1321209912.jpg