4x4 and fuel costs

darren m

As a carry on from the cost of fuel thread

i like to know which is the cheapest 4x4 to run

at the mo i have my 3.0 trooper and wife as a disco and yes we do need them for firstly work ( trailer pulling ) , horses trailer pulling , and shoot access.

like every one else one my need to go and need to have a rethink on cheaper to run 4x4's

cheers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably something like the Jimny or even the newer freelanders. IIRC they can do around 40MPG, which is pretty good really.

None of the trooper/disco sized 4x4's are going to do better MPG than any other make/model IMO. They're all sub-35MPG.

My disco 1 did 30, my Disco 3 does 30, my mates 2.8TD shogun does 30, another mates D40 Navara does 32 at a push, our work Hilux does 30-ish.

Not sure what the smaller 4x4's do (Rav4, Vitara, older freelander) or things like the Q5 which has the same Haldex 4x4 system as the freelander/tiguan and *may* be suitable.

I often think about this with my 20-25mpg Jeep... sure, she's thirsty but the 4x4 market is **** and so I recon between what I'd lose on her and have to find for a more economical machine that would do the same job we'd be looking at around the 10k mark.... That's an awful lot of miles I'd have to cover to get my £10k back, even if it doubled the MPG it would take 30,760 miles to make my money back!!! I'll keep the Jeep!

Edited by Vipa

We have just traded in a fiat 500 (55mpg) for a freelander TD4 on 53 after much discussion with friends who have them they reckon 40 on a run is possible and about 35-37 day to day running. Will let you know how we get on when pick it up on saturday. My dads old trooper does about 24mpg, saying that the new pick ups namely the vw amarnok (or something like that) reckon 35-40 is achevable.=

Our newer shape L200 warrior does quite well on fuel compared to the V6 Grand vitara the wife had last.

The V6 used to average 20-25mpg. The L200 does a hell of alot better. The pic below is an average reading not a second by second one.

Sorry but I do not believe that you have an L200 Warrior that will average 50+ MPG, if you really think you do you should sell it as the most fuel efficient double cab on the market. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Luckyshot

Sorry but I do not believe that you have an L200 Warrior that will average 50+ MPG, if you really think you do you should sell it as the most fuel efficient double cab on the market. :lol::lol::lol:

As I said, that's an average figure and not a mile by mile figure. It also shows an average speed too. :rolleyes:

Round town we tend to show 29-34mpg. I also don't drive it like a div. Having had points in the past and no longer in a major rush anywhere I tend to drive economically rather than to get there for a set time. Normally stick to 65- 70 on a motorway and 55-65 on A roads.

My Trooper 3.0 was doing 30 mpg round town, no problem, just driving smoothly, it would go down to 25 mph in 4th at idle speed.

Now fitted 33x12.5" Mudders so its a bit worse now, but the change in gearing means the engine revs have dropped a bit, so improving things once cruising.....still getting 28 mpg round town, don't think any other similar sized 4x4 will be significantly different, just get the one you like the most! :good:

I have a just over year old L200 barbarian with 21k on the clock.

Full tank usually gets about 350miles pretty much regardless of how I drive; averages around 25mpg most of the time.

I have read about people getting much more but they must be driving at 50-60mph on motorway all the time.

Round town they are shocking as they are on boost most of the time.

Disco 3, 80ltr tank (17.59gal) average range 430 miles, divided by 17.59 = 24.44mpg.... Not too bad for a 2.8 ton vehicle...And that's not hanging around either, and my commute is 90% b roads.

On a long run it would be 28-30mpg I would think...

Edited by gixer1

I've got a Disco 2 TD5 Auto. In a year and almost 20k miles it has averaged 24.92 mpg based on all driving conditions. It was very sluggish to begin with and in June this year I took it to Slovenia, but before I went my garage remapped it with the Autologic upgrade and that transformed the car completely. I did 2100 miles on the trip and it averaged 27.42mpg but that was all motorway miles at a steady 70mph. The trouble is now with the extra performance I tend to drive it that bit quicker than before.