Rabbits during the day

Spara Dritto

You may get lucky with the odd couple popping out. It will give you a good opportunity to practise fieldcraft and recognising signs of activity. Now doubt there will be corvids and pigeons about so you will still get practise shooting live quarry. Take what ever you can get mate.

I've just got another farm now which is brilliant. So will make it in the morning first thing, have you guys got any advice with stalking and where best to look for rabbits?

hi beretta,

i'd take the offer of daytime shooting it could be his way of getting to know you as he'll see you about and maybe feel more comfortable about letting out at night.

as for rabbits during the day i have best look in and around the woods on my land, but i guess everywhere is different, get down and spend a day observing mate or chat with the farmer about where he notices them most in the day if there's nowt about see if he needs a hand with anything.

a walkabout with the shotgun/rifle has got to be better than sitting at home even if you don't see much.

atb gary

If it were me i'd get there as early as possible a couple of times WITHOUT your gun and just some binocs. find out where the rabbits' warrens are first and spend a bit of time just watching them from cover and seeing how the behave and when they feed. If you're pretty sure you know exactly where they will be, there's less chance of blundering into the area accidentally and scaring any possible day time foragers! do you know the guy who shoots in the dawn/dusk times? they might be able to help? The Veggie patch might just tempt them to have a forage during the day!

I drove past a field yesterday that had half a dozen grazing in the morning sun. It was about 8am. If i see them tomorrow, im going to stop and leave a card. You never know when you are going to see them. It depends on the location, and how often people shoot there. If its a regular shoot, id say slim to none, but you never know.

Go at dawn or ideally dusk....during the day a total waste of time.If lots then lamping soon after dark best time.

What a load of rubbish. No 2 grounds are the same, some bags from my ground shot with rifle though not shotgun.

this time of year you are wasting your time in the spring and summer months can be a good day out with a nice bag at the end of it

There are still plenty about this time of year on my ground.

You may get lucky with the odd couple popping out. It will give you a good opportunity to practise fieldcraft and recognising signs of activity. Now doubt there will be corvids and pigeons about so you will still get practise shooting live quarry. Take what ever you can get mate.

Again it all depends on the population you have on your ground.

A few bags from my ground all shot during the day.

P5212825.jpgP8222496.jpgP8152486.jpg

And a few with the shotgun during the day.

P7102842-1.jpg

Go at dawn or ideally dusk....during the day a total waste of time.If lots then lamping soon after dark best time.

That's not strictly true. It might be the case in a few places but I can go out on several of my permissions during the daytime and either sit our and "snipe" a few or stalk up to and shoot three or four in a mornings or afternoons session - even at this time of the year.

On a new permission the hardest thing is to initially find the burrows. When you have done that it is just a matter of finding some natural cover (Within range of the burrows according to what type of gun you are using) where you can lay in wait and do a bit of "sniping"! The alternative is to really brush up on your field craft and stalk/walk them up.

The biggest problem with rabbits in the daytime is that they are much more wary and that they have a better chance of seeing you before you get within range. A moderated rifle (.22LR or my favourite a 17HMR) is best (In my opinion) for daytime rabbit shooting! One shot from a shotgun is likely to put them down below ground for wuite a while.

As has been suggested, if you can find the burrows you might also get some reasonable sport with a shotgun and ferrets!

Those people that say that they don't see rabbits out in the daytime are quite likely to be lacking in fieldcraft skills or observational powers!

I see them days, nights dusk and dawn. However: we don't have many round here so it takes time & persistance. Slow & quiet!!!

Walk the hedges to find the holes in the grass to see where they live. If you walk about 6-10ft out from the hedge you will have a decent perspective on the dents they make. I've found that this is also a good distance to be looking for their droppings.

Keep an eye out for patches of short grass too as this can indicate a favoured spot, close to a burrow.

Look for buzzards loitering/circling particular areas - they do it for a reason!

Walk on the down-wind sides of hedges, they like to have scent warning them of hidden predators.

Let the farmer know that you are out there and keen! If you do get a rabbit, offer him first dibs on it.

I see them days, nights dusk and dawn. However: we don't have many round here so it takes time & persistance. Slow & quiet!!!

Walk the hedges to find the holes in the grass to see where they live. If you walk about 6-10ft out from the hedge you will have a decent perspective on the dents they make. I've found that this is also a good distance to be looking for their droppings.

Keep an eye out for patches of short grass too as this can indicate a favoured spot, close to a burrow.

Look for buzzards loitering/circling particular areas - they do it for a reason!

Walk on the down-wind sides of hedges, they like to have scent warning them of hidden predators.

Let the farmer know that you are out there and keen! If you do get a rabbit, offer him first dibs on it.

Excellent advice. I met the farmer today who is, may I add, a true gent. He has allowed me to shoot over his hundreds of acres - woodlands - ponds - around vegetable patches (beans, cabbage, lettuce, sprouts etc) and around barn sheds. He also said I could remove pigeons with the shottie when they come in as these cause a big problem too. I can shoot 7 days a week, night or day. Give him a call to let him know and I'm let lose!

I went around the land and found some excellent spots that are littered with rabbits so will start off with the air rifle and hopefully make a dent!

I also offered my services when ever he needs me which he said would be brilliant as he was looking for a spare pair of hands as it's family run land and not enough workers.

All in all an excellent day!

Wish me luck!

What a load of rubbish. No 2 grounds are the same, some bags from my ground shot with rifle though not shotgun.

There are still plenty about this time of year on my ground.

Again it all depends on the population you have on your ground.

A few bags from my ground all shot during the day.

P5212825.jpgP8222496.jpgP8152486.jpg

And a few with the shotgun during the day.

P7102842-1.jpg

Be fair, the lower shots are full of half growns it looks pretty much like summer in all those shots! You wont generally see many Rabbits here during the middle of the day especially from mid october time but every place is different. Although if the Rabbits spend the day in cover rather than underground a spaniel or two can produce fine sport to the shotgun

If there are warrens i should certainly go with Ferrets and yes it sounds like you will be watched and given more in time if you prove effective and responsible.

Just to show that you can and do find a few rabbits out feeding during the day time I have done a short video with a few on it.

Don't let anyone convince you that the rabbits do not come out in daylight mate, and if they do try to tell them to have a look at this! :yes:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/187472-rabbits-during-the-daytime/page__pid__1588928#entry1588928

First day out Tmz. Up at 5.45 leave mine at 6.10 and will get there for 6.30. Get set up and ready for sun rise about 7am. I'd be happy for even 1 rabbit. Exciting times! lol.

Already made a pellet pouch and shooting sticks and everything is packed.

Thanks for the vid french!

I saw one on my permission at 11 2 days ago but It shot off just as I saw it, it was about 50m away too :|.

I have a feeling thats going to be the story of the day for me tmz...

Sunrise is 7:39, so it will start getting light at about 7:00

You will have some moon, depending on cloud cover, so get yourself camo'd up properly.

Check your wind direction.

Jump up and down with your kit on to see if you rattle (and sort it!).

Don't trink too much tea/coffe!

Enjoy.

Sorry I mistook sun rise for sun light as I was up early today. Sounds right though. I guess I expect to see rabbits at about 7.15 onwards?

Can I shoot with my back right next to bushes that back onto someone else’s property? Is there any law as to how far I should be from someone else’s property? I'm sure I can be right on my boundary, but I thought I'd check.

I know about main roads and public foot paths law...

Sorry I mistook sun rise for sun light as I was up early today. Sounds right though. I guess I expect to see rabbits at about 7.15 onwards?

Can I shoot with my back right next to bushes that back onto someone else’s property? Is there any law as to how far I should be from someone else’s property? I'm sure I can be right on my boundary, but I thought I'd check.

Not aware of any laws like that. The places I shoot back onto other peoples fields or houses as well. The only problem ive ever had is a nosey neighbour whose house overlooked one of my fields seeing me wandering about my permission and thinking im some sort of nut case with a gun. Luckily they decided to call up the land owner first rather than phone the police and the land owner confirmed I was okay.

Rabbits are different from permission to permission. One of the places I go only go during the day (mainly cos its next to a main road and I think using the lamp at night may distract drivers), and ive have had no end, especially in summer when they tend to like sunbathing.

The key thing is to find their burrows and workout where the best shooting places are. A sure sign as to where the bunnies hang out is to look out for their droppings. I tend to look out for places I can hide and pace out to various landmarks so I know what sort of distances everything is.

Dawn and Dusk can generally be thought of as lasting about 45 minutes before and after sunrise & sunset, but the rabbits (as stated above) don't often play fair. In one field they may be sunbathers, in the next they may only come out in the pitch black.

They are a prey species and they know it. You will have to work hard to knock them off.

As far as the legalities go I'm sure that (paths and roads withstanding) you can shoot right up to the fencing boundary of your permission - just make sure nothing leaves it though!

I got my first one just as the sun was coming up behind me, with frost on the ground and a gentle breeze blowing left to right. My stomach was cold and wet from the 5 minutes of belly shuffling it took to get in range, but boy was it worth it!

Have a read up on 'p1ssing' (how to empty their bladder), gutting, skining and cooking them too - it's an added incentive :yes: