how much to fit a recoil pad?

Sco77w

Ive just call and of the RFDs I use to see how much it will cost to have a recoil pad fitted but he couldn't tell me as the gun smith isn't in today.

Who's hade one fitted and what did it cost (for the fitting only).

Ive done a bit of a search on here and found "how to" info but want it doing properly, not my usual cack handed attempt with electrical tape covering up my f&@k up.

i fitted 2 to shotguns last week , the users came with the recoil pads they wanted fitting and i charged them £20 each.

I,m in the wrong job (if i had one that is)

bob.

Not really as £75 includes the pad which are £25-50. £20 isn't bad bob (I guess you have zero overheads and aren't paying VAT, NI, business rates, insurance etc

What gun is it for I believe kick-eez make them for certain standard stocks look at Avalon guns online you will see a list for fit or grind to fit in different colours and thicknesses I could be wrong as I have been wrong in the past.

The pad is for my Onyx. The gun is 22 years old and I don't know if its been altered in its lifetime. What I may do is take off the existing one and take it to the shop and see if there is anything suitable that'll fit.

Why not fit one of these http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/Beretta-Recoil-Pads.html just give them a call to see if they will fit your gun. I bought one of the Gel-Tek ones when I had my 686E. They just screwed on as they were already the right size for the Beretta stock.

Should be fine with one of the above mate as the Onyx is listed as compatible (smaller size - which will be the field versions) http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=421589

Edited by barrie0

I removed the pad from my gun and took it in to euro gun to see if anything off the shelf would fit. They had some beretta pads where you screw some buttom type things to your wood work put the pad in place over them and slide in a clip to hold them in place. They would fit but they didn't have one thick enough. At least I now know I can get one that won't need working on.

Thanks to those that offered help.

• 1 year later...

I've looked around today and both places said pretty much the same, I also looked at just fitting a browning inflex 2 pad to my current stock with no alterations. Im not sure how it would take though with the butt plate being concave. For £25 it might be worth a go!

My smith shortened the stock and fitted a microcell pad to my wife's lanber for £50

Which gunsmith did you use, I'm assuming its one in Derby. I got this MK 70 from the country man of Derby

I've looked around today and both places said pretty much the same, I also looked at just fitting a browning inflex 2 pad to my current stock with no alterations. Im not sure how it would take though with the butt plate being concave. For £25 it might be worth a go!

Which gunsmith did you use, I'm assuming its one in Derby. I got this MK 70 from the country man of Derby

Simon at Doveridge gun repairs, his workshop is at Doveridge clay sports club !!!!

Edited by jmoz82