help, Duck shooting

M.I.A

Ive just returned from a dusk shoot on the ducks (mallard)

Today they have been flying very high, so what carts will i be best to get?

I fired at a duck at around 30 yards, the lowest of the day with rc hp steel, 32g no3 shot and it didnt even flinch :/ shot connected well! I do not rate these carts ive used some on the crows and they have never given me a clean kill.

Would bb be ok to use for the high ones? But would they do too much damage on the lower ones?

Thanks

My gun is 3" chambered and hp steel proof

Edited by M.I.A

If the bird didn't even flinch,are you sure the shot 'connected well'? I use gamebore super steel 3's in my 70mm chambered 101 through 1/2 choke and those seem to do the trick very well. I don't shoot at high duck,but my nephew can bring down the high ones with his 3.5" chambered Benelli.Perhaps that's the way to go.

Thanks for the replys, dont take the "didnt even flinch" bit to seriously :lol: , it just didnt drop :(

Would bb be over kill perhaps?

Thanks

:good: Sorry,didn't mean anything by it.Have never used BB so can't really say.Have brought down(dead)Greylags with steel 3's,but they weren't high.Someone with more experience of HIGH duck shooting may be able to help.

If you are going to use steel for high duck use a good after choke of .700 ( full lead choke ) a 36 gr load of no 3 or 40 gr no 2 shot and a 3 or 3.5 inch shell. That combination will kill any 50 yard duck that flies if you hit them fair and square. If you are using a 70mm chamberd gun go for Hevi shot or Tungstun matrix pellets in no 6 or 5 , or Bismuth no 4, but they are expensive.

While I would idealy use bigger shot sizes I killed a greylag cleanly this morning at what others estimated at 55 yards using 36gr gamebore mammoths ( unknowingly put the wrong shell in the chamber ). If they will kill a goose at such range they will certantly kill a duck.

Edited by anser2

I fired at a duck at around 30 yards, the lowest of the day with rc hp steel, 32g no3 shot and it didnt even flinch :/ shot connected well! I do not rate these carts ive used some on the crows and they have never given me a clean kill.

Would bb be ok to use for the high ones? But would they do too much damage on the lower ones?

Thanks

i have been using RC 32G 3S all season with no problems, i have had some great clean kills with them up to 40 yards only ..

through a 1/4 choke , i did some testing with various steel loads before the season started and i found the RC HP steel 32g were the best through my gun (AL391)....

36gramme no3 tungsten or bismouth. Shot a widgeon on the solway mid october, flat shot over the sand. 56 yards with tungsten. Shot at a 25 yard pigeon with steel 4's, brought it down, just, and with 6 hits to the body. PROOF!!!

What exactly is that proof of?

What exactly is that proof of?

i have seen many wildfowlers shooting at wildfowl out of range with steel then they blame it on the steel cartridges when the fault is down to them and there judging of distance , if they only took the time to test these different steel loads then!! they will find out that it is very effective at the correct distance ...

our wildfowling club runs its own clay ground through the summer for our members and friends, also some public , now dare i say this.... but ... you will find the lads who are really dedicated to the sport of wildfowling trying out different steel loads , some home loads , some factory loads , at different distances and shoot it all through the summer .. that's why we get good results with the correct steel load and shooting at the correct distance .....

also lets not forget its the wildfowlers field craft that plays the biggest part of getting wildfowl close enough to get the cleanest kill for the quarry and not wound it .....

WW :good:

Thanks

Its nowt to do with the shells mate, either you didn't hit it good or the 30ys was way underestimated. Forget about high duck the skill is in getting them in close through good fieldcraft then shooting them in the front end not the rear :good:

Guest cookoff013

If you are going to use steel for high duck use a good after choke of .700 ( full lead choke ) a 36 gr load of no 3 or 40 gr no 2 shot and a 3 or 3.5 inch shell. That combination will kill any 50 yard duck that flies if you hit them fair and square. If you are using a 70mm chamberd gun go for Hevi shot or Tungstun matrix pellets in no 6 or 5 , or Bismuth no 4, but they are expensive.

While I would idealy use bigger shot sizes I killed a greylag cleanly this morning at what others estimated at 55 yards using 36gr gamebore mammoths ( unknowingly put the wrong shell in the chamber ). If they will kill a goose at such range they will certantly kill a duck.

well this post is very important so i`d repost / reply to it.

i`d recomend up to #2s aswell.

shoot faster steel shells. comercial shells are slow. also the average shooter who doesnt know about steel ballistics and steel loadsings will allways compare steel to lead. 5 steel isnt suitable as an all rounder duck cartridge like lead5 is. dont have a heart attack or panic because there is a 2 on the side of the shell. even light steel loads have "magnum" ballistics ie progressively slow powders. the sooner you guys learn that the better you`ll shoot. true US #2 is quite a universal shotsize, can be used on smaller geese, and big /small duck.

ideal for waterfowl.

steel and lead are so different forget comparing them.

#2s work. and work well at 1500fps.

in america, it is common for homeloaders to load 7/8oz loads of #2 for shooting decoyed birds.

• 2 months later...