What cartridge?

dodeer

Sam, I use similar to you, with the exception of using plastic wads - sorry for those that find this shocking  :D

The reason for this is I've yet to find a fibre wad cartridge with an effective shot cup which, I feel, helps maintain the shot pattern.  :angry:

I'd change tomorrow if anyone knows of a fibre cartridge with a satisfactory shot cup.  :D  :angry:

Fired through a Silver Pigeon, usually 1/4 and 1/2 chokes (multi)   :angry:

I use Express Supergame 32 gram & 36 gram 6s and occasionally 5s. I use the heavy loads due to the lack of recoil from my auto.

I use 1/2 or 3/4 choke for 90% of my pigeon shooting and sometimes full choke when theres no wind.

Unfortunetly supergame are a plastic wad, but as mentioned by pigeon pieman I have yet to find a fibre load that provides a pattern as good as plastic.

Regarding 7 1/2 shot, I have used them in the past, but would never go back to them having shot 6s for the last 16 years.

Winchester Trap 200 were available back then and they were superb I even used them for pheasants. When they were no longer available I went down to 6 shot.

Im sorry if ive upset anyone over the plastic wad thing. I just think they look a mess but its really upto personal opinon. The fibre wad cartridges i like are Eley VIP 30 g 6 fibre,

Viri Choc 32 g 5 fibre,

Winchester GB 30 g 6 fibre.

If i was to use plastic wads i would use Hull pigeon photo boidegrable or Eley VIP biodegrable.

I've just scanned through the prices of the bio degradable cartridges.  They are between 20 and 30% more expensive  :D

That said, I have made a conscious decision to buy this type from now on, then I get to keep my precious shot cup!  Probably phsycological but necessary  :*)

It'll be a belated New Year resolution and one less person for the antis of our sport to use to support their protests  :angry:  :angry:

Might even try to 'exchange' the unused plastics I have in the safe   :angry:  :D

if any use to you sam i use s&b super trap in a 32g load for roost shooting and for all decoy work i use superfelt game , same make in 30g , and expect to pay a hundred pound a thousand maybe less..and choke is fixed 3/4 and full through a trap gun .......and have done for the last couple of decades,

also if its anythink to go by a man called peter swhertds from london who i think shoots more pigeons in a year than anyone shoots a trap gun with 3/4 and full but uses winchester western in fives for everythink, as does jim albourne,,

bit heavy for me but i have shared a hide with peter and i could not question his methods,,,

good luck and remember its a learning curve and you will find your own methods and half the fun is finding your own combinations

Hawk best pigeon 32g. Just started using 1/2 choke.( not noticed any difference yet, but the pigeon seem a bit thin on the ground).

Supergame: give that gun a clean! :angry:  Blue Diamond realy smacks the bolt backwards on my Benelli. The only load that has ever refused to cycle was some extra light very subsonic experimental loads I made (but they still killed pigeon).

I allso use clear pigeon 6 30g, express pigeon special 6 30g, and various home loads about 1200ft/s 32g 6 shot.(7 when I have some)

My auto certainly doesn't need a clean. Takes half an hour to clean everytime its been out. I don't normally use blue diamonds. They are absolute rat power.

Normally i shoot Winchester Westerns through my 391, but they are hard to come by so I'm on Express Supergame 32 and 36 gram 6s.  

I just don't go in for lighter loads. The heavier loads performance speaks for itself.  Jim Albone has the right idea on cartridges, his performances speaks volumes when it comes to clean kills.

What do you use for pigeons? I tend to use Express Pigeon specials 30 g 6 fibre as im enviromentaly friendly. I find these good through my cylinder choked lanber 12 bore.

How much do you expect to pay for your cartridges?

Does anyone use 71/2 carts as a lot of people do?

I HAVE BEEN USING ELEY HAWK BEST 61/2 32GRAMS ALL WINTER I HAVE SHOT VERY WELL I FOUND THAT I COULD TAKE

BIRDS TO 45YARDS CONSISTENTLY WERE I HAVE BEEN

USING HULL SPECIAL PIGEON 6 32GRAMS I SHOT BAD

MAYBE IT IS JUST ME BUT I THINK IF YOU FIND A GOOD CARTRIDGE STAY WITH IT.I HAVE USED 71/2 SHOT BEFORE

I FOUND THAT ANY BIRDS COMING TO THE COYS YOU COULD

JUST AIM AT THEM AND GET THEM BUT ANY BIRDS BETWEEN

30-45YARDS I FOUND HARD TO HIT.

While decoying today I dropped down from my usual winter cartridge 36 gram Express supergame 6s to 32 gram 6s.  I have certainly no regrets and was able to kill birds cleanly out to 50 yards with half or 3/4 choke.

Regarding the use of 71/2 shot for pigeons,  they are fine for very close range work up to 30 yards.  But beyond 30 yards you will not be certain of clean kills.

Rob the reason you struggled on the longer birds with 71/2 will probably be down to wind blowing your pattern.

I used clear pigeon for years till the rep gave me some white gold to try, I went and set up shop at a newly drilled field 3 parks away from the housel, within 2 hours I had 55 pigeons and 45 corvids, he also gave me blue diamond made by gamebore were utter **** was hitting them but they would give a shake and fly and away, second barrel with the white gold bowled them over at great distances, bril for an oz load.

cheers