Pigeon Shooting with Sporter

Spiderdude

One of the reasons for selling my Silver Pigeon is that it is a sporter & I'm also worried about damaging it if I took it out into the field.

My questions are;

Does anyone else regularly use a sporter for field shooting?

Do people use guns valued at over a grand for field shooting and if you do are you not worried about damage?

One of the reasons for selling my Silver Pigeon is that it is a sporter & I'm also worried about damaging it if I took it out into the field.

My questions are;

Does anyone else regularly use a sporter for field shooting?

Do people use guns valued at over a grand for field shooting and if you do are you not worried about damage?

I used my 323 grade 3 for all my shooting, I paid £1200 (new) for it 21 years ago, it’s just how you look after them. I would say it is worth around £700/800, so good value over 21 years. However having a nice gun wont make you hit everything.....but they will last and hold there money.

TEH

I use a Lanber sporter for rough shooting, personally i rather to shoot with the sporter than the Lanber Field and i dont know to why, but i shoot better with the Sporter as a bonus. But now i use the Hatsan for most of my shooting as it's my rough gun so i dont really care so much about it as if i dink or scratch it really doesnt matter as it has a Synthetic stocked and ideal for rough shooting.

I don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference what gun you use for "rough shooting" as long as you get on well with it and enjoy using it. If you shoot well with your sporter on clays then why not use it for rough or droven shooting? The important thing is to make sure that you give it the care, attention and proper cleaning each tome you have fininshed with it. Remember the old saying which is so true ;

Look after your tools and they will look after you!

Most importantly of all - Enjoy your sport!

I sold my silver pigeon after 18 months cos i kept knocking it. I then bought a side by side for £500 and then another for £100. In all ive had four guns two brand new and two oldies. You know what, if i did it again i would have just bought the £100 gun, it shoots great and its so easy to rub em down and stain them. I only shoot rough and clay and it is perfect. Just opinions!! Do what you want.

You sound so much like I was. The last two guns I have baught have had rack marks on them, for the main reason not wanting to mark an a1 stock! so much more enjoyment out of using a tool than looking at it. We all want to have the best looking guns but the enjoyment is using them, glad you kept the Beretta, now get out and use it and enjoy it.

atvb Paul.