Pigeon 'Field Craft'

firebrand

I love pigeon shooting even though I'm not that good at it.My shooting isnt too bad but my 'Field craft' needs improving.(Where to set up in a field,How to 'read' the pigeons way to enter the field)

I always shoot on my own so I'm not able to learn from someone else.

Can you suggest a good book that particularly covers these aspects of pigeon shooting in some detail?

Thanks

I love pigeon shooting even though I'm not that good at it.My shooting isnt too bad but my 'Field craft' needs improving.(Where to set up in a field,How to 'read' the pigeons way to enter the field)

Can you suggest a good book that particularly covers these aspects of pigeon shooting in some detail?

Thanks

A good modern book to read is the one by Peter Theobald. An archive copy of Archie Coats book is very interesting.

There is also this...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=peter%20theobald%20pigeon%20shooting&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGEQrAIoADAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.pigeonwatch.co.uk%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F184468-basc-introduction-to-####-course%2F&ei=J0_WTsOkFNHW8QPO1K2SAg&usg=AFQjCNEqW_D7iuT1q9Dr0xXtK3f9QRTQNg

Like the op said, getting out there is a lot of it. However, given so many variables a good reference is helpful. He is local to me so I catch up with him quite a bit.

TEH

A good modern book to read is the one by Peter Theobald. An archive copy of Archie Coats book is very interesting.

There is also this...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=peter%20theobald%20pigeon%20shooting&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGEQrAIoADAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.pigeonwatch.co.uk%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F184468-basc-introduction-to-####-course%2F&ei=J0_WTsOkFNHW8QPO1K2SAg&usg=AFQjCNEqW_D7iuT1q9Dr0xXtK3f9QRTQNg

Like the op said, getting out there is a lot of it. However, given so many variables a good reference is helpful. He is local to me so I catch up with him quite a bit.

TEH

A good DVD set is the Pigeon shooting dvd from www.shootingandmore.com (Could be .co.uk) which is available quite cheaply, sometimes secondhand on evil bay too. Shows lots of stuff and is quite informative for beginners :good:

Bought a set of them for my mate for Christmas. I think you can get them in a one and two disc set, get the two disc set, better value for money.

Edited by Redditch

As has already been said,experience/time in the field is the best way to learn,even if you have set up in the wrong place you will have observed where it is they are flying over for future outings and as the year goes by you should of noted what they were feeding on and when.the rest is up to your shooting skill and experimenting with patterns...............just saved you buying a book :lol: see if someone local can offer a trip out or invite them on yours :good: you may end up with a shooting partner :yes:

John batley,pigeon shooting is a book i would recomend.

Your eyes are the only thing to trust mate.

One thing i learned very early on is, you will spend a hell of a lot more time watching pigeons than you will shooting them.

Every area of the country is different, every field is different, every tree is different and every pigeon is different add in to that the variables such as flight lines, woodland location, wind direction, wind speed, temperature, weather conditions ie. snow, ice, frost, fog, mist, rain, hail, time of year, light conditions, crop, time of day etc. etc. etc. and i dont believe a book could even scratch the surface.

As for decoy "patterns" its a load of crapp in my opinion, ive never seen pigeons feeding in "patterns"??? i realise they are designed by someone to lure the birds to a specific "killing zone" but i just dont agree.

I bet if you asked 10 pigeon shooters for advice you would get 10 different answers?!

Sometimes a rotary, flapper, bouncers will work and other days they wont.

My simple advice would be:

Watch were theyre coming from (flight lines)

Watch where they want to be (favoured fields)

Try and get under them where they want to be, with the wind on your back and try different patterns and different bits of kit and you'll figure out what works, but most important of all: if it aint working, change! and if they aint coming in, move!

Im no expert and is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Edited by carpentermark

One thing i learned very early on is, you will spend a hell of a lot more time watching pigeons than you will shooting them.

Every area of the country is different, every field is different, every tree is different and every pigeon is different add in to that the variables such as flight lines, woodland location, wind direction, wind speed, temperature, weather conditions ie. snow, ice, frost, fog, mist, rain, hail, time of year, light conditions, crop, time of day etc. etc. etc. and i dont believe a book could even scratch the surface.

As for decoy "patterns" its a load of crapp in my opinion, ive never seen pigeons feeding in "patterns"??? i realise they are designed by someone to lure the birds to a specific "killing zone" but i just dont agree.

I bet if you asked 10 pigeon shooters for advice you would get 10 different answers?!

Try and get under them where they want to be, with the wind on your back and try different patterns and different bits of kit and you'll figure out what works, but most important of all: if it aint working, change! and if they aint coming in, move!

Good luck.

Mark. I think a lot of what you say here does make sense to me however,with me,I also want to 'factor in' the local natural cover,as I want to use this if I can and also the position of the sun, (not wanting to look/shoot into it)and im wondering if my thinking here is putting me in the wrong place-too often

Where I am,being the Fens,there isnt a lot of natural cover around many of the fields to use (small bushes/hedges etc) due to the land being so wet.

Would you stick your hide out in 'the open' if that was the right place given the birds flight line in/out of their feeding field?

Thanks

Mark. I think a lot of what you say here does make sense to me however,with me,I also want to 'factor in' the local natural cover,as I want to use this if I can and also the position of the sun, (not wanting to look/shoot into it)and im wondering if my thinking here is putting me in the wrong place-too often

Where I am,being the Fens,there isnt a lot of natural cover around many of the fields to use (small bushes/hedges etc) due to the land being so wet.

Would you stick your hide out in 'the open' if that was the right place given the birds flight line in/out of their feeding field?

Thanks

I have set up in the middle of a stubble field as its where the two flight lines met..aslong as you get your hide right and nice and cammo...

As said before I have learnt more from taking people out and letting them show me than any book/forum can teach you... :good:

Yep a pretty good descriptive of wood pigeon hunting, in a nutshell there ain't no logic to it or the birds.

Are you looking for a shooting partner Mark?

Good luck.

Well said :good:

Thanks

Do not worry about natural cover. Too many people think you need a hedge or tree to set up next to, to blend in - you don't!. I am confident in setting a hide out in the open- even a colour that doesn't match the surroundings - and getting pigeons coming in. That way you can get closer to flightlines.

Use natural cover if you can and the situation calls for it, but think more of flightlines and wind direction etc first.

Do not worry about natural cover. Too many people think you need a hedge or tree to set up next to, to blend in - you don't!. I am confident in setting a hide out in the open- even a colour that doesn't match the surroundings - and getting pigeons coming in. That way you can get closer to flightlines.

Use natural cover if you can and the situation calls for it, but think more of flightlines and wind direction etc first.

Totally agree :good:

Agree with last couple, it isn't so much perfect camo that counts just don't look like a bloke with a gun!

Some days they will do almost anything to get on the ground and seem suicidal but most days they are so spoilt for choice of food they won't be drawn in, they just don't need to feed.

Much better to go where the pigeon problem is than trying to create a problem in a bit of a field just because you happen to be concealed in the hedge.

Thanks

Firstly shooting pigeons this time of year is always tricky and its rare to make a big bag , first thing is of course you need the birds on or going over your permission ,if they are not there you cant shoot them (which is why I have not been for months now ) its more important being where the birds want to be rather than having the sun behind you / wind in your back etc etc.

Yes its perfectly possible just to set up in the middle of a field and get a decent bag.

I have a book by John Humphreys which is good for a beginner , as you are only a few miles from me if you pick it up you can have it FOC, and if you want someone to come and show you the ropes I would be more than happy.

Firstly shooting pigeons this time of year is always tricky and its rare to make a big bag , first thing is of course you need the birds on or going over your permission ,if they are not there you cant shoot them (which is why I have not been for months now ) its more important being where the birds want to be rather than having the sun behind you / wind in your back etc etc.

Yes its perfectly possible just to set up in the middle of a field and get a decent bag.

I have a book by John Humphreys which is good for a beginner , as you are only a few miles from me if you pick it up you can have it FOC, and if you want someone to come and show you the ropes I would be more than happy.

and that is a good offer!!! :good:

You will learn more from bei9ng out with someone that knows what they are doing than reading any book

• 4 months later...

I have set up in the middle of a stubble field as its where the two flight lines met..aslong as you get your hide right and nice and cammo...

As said before I have learnt more from taking people out and letting them show me than any book/forum can teach you... :good:

...... :good:

Pigeon shooting aint rocket science, to have a good day lots of little things have to come together, first thing is to have birds feeding where you can shoot, if theres no birds its usually not worth bothering, if there is birds watch them, find the flightlines, see which way they enter/leave the field, see where in the field they are feeding etc, once you have sussed that the field is worth shooting try to use as much natural cover as possible and remember that pigeons nearly always like to land against the wind, as for patterns just start with the traditional horse shoe and keep swapping about till you get them coming in, bouncers, magnet, flappers, what works one day wont work another, just enjoy being out and experiment, you'll soon get a feel of what to try, :good: