Giving shooting a bad name

LordAJ

Tell me, do any of you drive your vehicle in excess of the speed limit?

Yes I do but just because I have been caught doesn't make it legal.

As for having a speed limit outside a school at 3AM come on get real, what are the authorities meant to do, go around everyday changing signs depending on the time of day :good:

I think that enough people have told you what is the harm in a bunch of lads shooting form a car with an air rifle, yet you refuse to accept it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Firing a weapon from a vehicle, whilst on a public access road is illegal, dangerous and should be reported to the Police.

RB, at the beginning I could half see what you were getting at, but as the thread has progressed, your justification for your stance has rather gone off the track and where the relevance of speed limits outside schools at 3 am comes from, rather escapes me.

If you personally wouldn't contact the Police, because you didn't want to get involved, or you didn't think it was a matter serious enough, thats your perogative.

Most gun owners, being very aware how dangerous (and intimidating from the Public's point of view) any weapon can be, would probably disagree with you.

Quote: Most gun owners, being very aware how dangerous (and intimidating from the Public's point of view) any weapon can be, would probably disagree with you.

My point is what if there was no one there to be intimidated?

The speed thingy was to point out we all break the law sometimes, and that people rarely get hurt as a result. How would you like it if someone called the police to report you speeding?

the flaw in your argument is "what if", you cant make calculated risks when there are guns involved. a mistake can cost a life. if you really adopt a similar philosophy to your shooting then you are a danger to yourself and others.

from what was said in the initial post, it would seem that those lads were only there at night to avoid getting caught, rather than avoid causing damage or harm to others.

Tell me, do any of you drive your vehicle in excess of the speed limit? Some laws are just stupid, like having a speed limit outside a school. At first glance you would think I`m stupid for stating that. When you look deeper though, what`s the point of a speed limit out side a school at 3 o`clock in the morning?

Just try to see it from both sides, is what I`m saying. I did not say I agree with lads hanging out the window of a car with an air rifle, Just what`s the harm in it for discussion perposes.

well just maybe there could be a we lass or lad out sleep walking to school while sleeping at od ours some people get up and walk dogs take in the air its not imposible for people to be anywhere at any time so no i think its rite for speed limits in built up areas mate good greef yuo make me feel like a saint

ps yes i think youre very stupid :good:

Ok then, what about the speed limit on the motorway at 3 o`clock in the morning? This was introduced back in the 50`s. How would you like it if some old **** reported you for speeding down the motorway at 85 MPH and the police pulled you? Just because the old **** thought you were breaking the law.

and was LordAJ threatened?

i would be rather cross but i would have brought it on myself. you cannot compare the two though, shooting is under threat constantly, and its ****** like the ones described here who are the nails sealing legitimate shooting's coffin. if you defend them, you are no better than them.

Ok then, what about the speed limit on the motorway at 3 o`clock in the morning? This was introduced back in the 50`s. How would you like it if some old **** reported you for speeding down the motorway at 85 MPH and the police pulled you? Just because the old **** thought you were breaking the law.

and was LordAJ threatened?

it's easy mate , don't break the law and nobody will report you , speaking as a proffesional driver i don't break speed limits whatever the time of day .

Quote: from what was said in the initial post, it would seem that those lads were only there at night to avoid getting caught, rather than avoid causing damage or harm to others.

Paulos,

Perhaps they were there because the rabbits only come out at night :good:

No RB... i was not threatened by the youths, but if somebody who was not involved with shooting had seen them i am sure that they would have felt intimidated.

As for your other posts on this topic it is clear that you have no concept about shooting in the public eye, or for acting responsably with a gun!!

I cannot belive that you would even bother to argue on the opposite side to this disscusion!

LordAJ

Moderators,

this stuff is all semantic gobbledegook and it belongs in a Philosophy Forum.

Please KILL this Thread. :good:

kind regards,

the Lizard

P.S. - R.B., It brings only a little comfort to anticipate your imminent demise into digital oblivion. Bye !!

[copy to Moderators]

I think the relevance of speeding at 03.00, be it school area or motorway relates to the original post's wording about "late at night"? There's different levels of law breaking; say theft of several thousands of pounds - or shop lifting... both stealing, but...?

At least it was late at night - I'm not saying it ok to do it - just much less serious than shooting windows/streetlamps /passing cars etc.

I'm late for work ttfn

you boys are being a bit harsh on rb he did try to make his point politely to start with even if he may have been a little misguided also you would do well to remember poaching is also armed trespass and i do believe that some people on here openley gloat about being poachers without a grumble from some of you.Not that i believe it is on the same level as the gun out of the car window stunt but in the eyes of the law who knows,one last point lg you implied tell the police they have a gun but forget to mention it is an air weapon ,let me tell you something a lad was shot dead by armed police in a quiet town in cornwall about 5 years ago because the air weapon he was brandishing was mistaken for a firearm so (lg) go and take a reallity check and then engage your brain before posting any more advice.

plinker

If I was driving in my car along a quiet road at night, right next to a permission, or even entering a permission, with no body about and saw a rabbit within the permission, I would probably shoot it. Now if some member of the public saw me and reported it to the police I would be a bit ****** off, especially if the SRV turned up, with me dressed in camo and wearing a balaclava. but I would probably deserve it for taking the risk, but surely that`s up to me to decide?

If I was driving in my car along a quiet road at night, right next to a permission, or even entering a permission, with no body about and saw a rabbit within the permission, I would probably shoot it. Now if some member of the public saw me and reported it to the police I would be a bit ****** off, especially if the SRV turned up, with me dressed in camo and wearing a balaclava. but I would probably deserve it for taking the risk, but surely that`s up to me to decide?

some things are better left unsaid

Highlander,

Quote, take down the vehicle reg and call the bill 'cause if they get away with rabbits next they'll be shooting kids!

I shoot rabbits, are you suggesting that I will be shooting kids next?

come off it you lot, in my opinion,it appears you have all jumped to an irrational conclusion. Reporting them to the police will bring un wanted publicity. ask your self who are they hurting? who is the victim here, other than the bunny. If this was the town centre then I would agree with you, but was the trading estate deserted? maybe no one was there?

I think the law allows an air rifle to be fired within 50 feet of the centre of a highway, if in so doing, does not cause any member of the public using that highway to be detoured or feel threatened? So Lord AJ, if you felt threated and was forced to detour for you own safety, then I would agree with your point of view, however if you thought it was not threatening your personal safety then you may be judging them un fairly.

just my 2 cents worth...

Rabid!!!

I can see SOME of your point there BUT what would you rather have?

A bit of bad press about a group of kids shooting Rabbits in a Housing estate OR the worst case scenario perhaps a Ricochet or even a flyer injuring OR killing a passer by??

Take them out as swiftly as possible while LITTLE harm is done rather than waiting for the preverbial excrement to hit the fan :lol:

Leaving them because they are doing (no harm :good: ) is NO way to think when it comes to the illegal use of a Airgun or any OTHER form of Weapon when it comes to that matter as it will only take 1 little mistake to turn into a tragedy.

If a tragedy can be averted for the sake of 4 little Brainless nemetodes being lifted by an ARU while they are on one of their Missions then i would rather see that than a poor bystander OR child injured perhaps killed by these MORONS playing the fool.

Weigh the pro's and con's and YES it will show shooting in bad press perhaps BUT i would rather it be Bunnies that made the headlines than another child :)

LG