sloe gin

holly

Tried all of ours last night too, put loads less sugar in this year and they all need a good drop more so added another couple of ounces. Did quite a few different brands of gin / vodka this year, here's the early verdict...

Aldi Vodka - rough and a bit like antifreeze

Aldi Gin - got a harsh edge and not much flavour

Gordons Gin - deeper flavour and not too harsh

Bombay Saphire - smooth and very tasty, lots of different flavours going on.

Whoever says use any old cheap spirit is talking ****, Bombay Saphire all the way next year.

I used lidl castleay own gin and it's turned out nice but next year I will probably use gordons

ive used the castleay for the last 3 yrs ,this year i did the same also a ltr and half of gordons will give that a sample this evening and report back :good:

ive used the castleay for the last 3 yrs ,this year i did the same also a ltr and half of gordons will give that a sample this evening and report back :good:

I will be intrigued to hear what it tastes like. Next year I will be making a lot more. I have already drunk a bottle of blackberry whisky I made with a friend that was very nice :yes:

Just had a right bonus! Although I've got 4 litres of this years on the go, I picked my sloes late so it won't be ready for Christmas :( I drank, or gave away the last of last year a while ago, so faced the awful prospect of a sloe gin free Christmas :o :no:

Anyhow, digging through the dusty bottles of aniseed flavoured drain cleaner from forgotten holidays and undrinkable green coloured alcoholic "gifts" from people who clearly dislike me, I stumbled upon a 2 year old litre bottle, 3/4 full of sloe gin! :yahoo::drinks:

How long do you leave it on the berries for before you rack it off?

3 months minimum, no longer than 6 for me.

Anyhow, digging through the dusty bottles of aniseed flavoured drain cleaner from forgotten holidays and undrinkable green coloured alcoholic "gifts" from people who clearly dislike me, I stumbled upon a 2 year old litre bottle, 3/4 full of sloe gin! :yahoo::drinks:

You know you're welcome at our house any time right? ;):D

Technically sloe gin should not be made with gin because the gin is already flavoured with Juniper berrys before you start. The closest thing to neat unflavoured spirit is vodka and the sloes should provide the flavour. But what the heck! whatever floats your boat and your taste buds.

In the original concept gin is just a generic name for spirit, the flavourings are an option. Many things have been used to flavour gin, Juniper is favourite but sloes, strawberrys, elderberrys, and plums etc have all been used in the past.

Tried all of ours last night too, put loads less sugar in this year and they all need a good drop more so added another couple of ounces. Did quite a few different brands of gin / vodka this year, here's the early verdict...

Aldi Vodka - rough and a bit like antifreeze

Aldi Gin - got a harsh edge and not much flavour

Gordons Gin - deeper flavour and not too harsh

Bombay Saphire - smooth and very tasty, lots of different flavours going on.

Whoever says use any old cheap spirit is talking ****, Bombay Saphire all the way next year.

mines made with gin from "the small batch gin company"

been on the go 12 months and will be bottled next week and the sloes will be pitted and mixed with melted dark chocolate..... :drool:

:shaun:

Wound into a bottle of coffee and vanilla vodka with a couple of friends and managed to lose most of Sunday !!!!!

Although we did polish off about 8 or 9 bottles of wine first, and there was only 4 of us.

Strained the "early" batch of sloe gin in the week and it was a bit ripe !!! The elderberry gin and blackberry vodka hits tha spot a treat.

Looking forward to the really cold days now so i can crack the chilli and vanilla vodka out !