fox scope for £600

Archie-fox

Hi Guys

i know im lighting the touch paper hear but ive got a S&B 8x56 on my 223.

but i feel its just a little under power as some of my shots are 200 meters and in the scope the fox looks tiny so im not going to take a wild shot at a tiny target..

so im only shooting out to 150 ish and letting the longer shots go...now i know some of you will say call them in further ect but i think i need to upgrade a little as it would suite my needs...

what should i look at for around £600??

Regards

Rich :good:

Edited by archie1234

8x is fine, I have scopes that go up to 24 yet most of the time when foxing especially at night I shoot at 8x. This allows as much light through as your eye can manage and gives a nice big field of view, one of the delights of smaller calibre's is watching the bullets arrival, move to say 14x and you just wont see it. The only times I use more mag is when I am daylight target shooting. Last fox I shot was almost 300 yards, a Nightforce NP2DD ret at 8x was all that was needed.

If you must change scopes then look for a used Ziess, S&B or maybe Swaro, 2nd focal plane reticule if possible. The gunshop in Tain (McCloiuds?) has a good online list as do York Guns sometimes.

A

Archie you wont go wrong with a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50,alot of experienced guns, now have commented on the clarity of the optics and would certainly suit your needs.

have a look at the reviews a good optic at that price

I agree - for the money (or even more) they are very good, and with a cracking zoom range that suits many uses :good:

8x is fine, I have scopes that go up to 24 yet most of the time when foxing especially at night I shoot at 8x.

I, like many others on here have moved on from fixed magnification x7 or x8 optics to variable offerings for foxing work.

Trying to shoot a fox laying flat at 200 yards under a lamp in a field of OSR with only x7 or x8 can be somewhat of a challenge, and you will find a lower powered scope lacking.

I'd suggest to the OP to try both sides of the coin, before parting with his cash - but for me, I won't ever go back to fixed mag on my foxing setup.

Hi Rich,

I have a Zeiss 3-12x50 Duralyt on my .243. Cracking scope for the money and will come within your budget if you shop about. Either that or like an earlier post said, a Meopta. I would definately have a look at the Duralyt though.

Would probably suit your needs exactly :good:

ATB,

Pat

Hi Guys

i know im lighting the touch paper hear but ive got a S&B 8x56 on my 223.

but i feel its just a little under power as some of my shots are 200 meters and in the scope the fox looks tiny so im not going to take a wild shot at a tiny target..

so im only shooting out to 150 ish and letting the longer shots go...now i know some of you will say call them in further ect but i think i need to upgrade a little as it would suite my needs...

what should i look at for around £600??

Regards

Rich :good:

Scopes are far to personal to call, there are as many opinions as there are scopes.

When you find what you want, give me a shout and I will happily discuss taking your 8x56 S&B off your hands!

:yes::good:

German, Hungarian, 25mm or 30mm, illuminated or not, reticle, age, condition, etc, a little more info would be helpful. :yes::good:

It's Hungarian classic 30mm 6 months old un marked with sunshade and covers...is say 100% clean scope...Not illuminated.

Edited by archie1234

I went through the same thing scope wise getting an id at 200 yards is difficult at 8 mag and the target is very small. Yes you can go bigger on the lamp but all it does is makes foxes far more likely to run. Having gone from an 8x56 to a swaro 6-24 x 50 there is no comparrison and being decent glass you can wind it up if needed. Best advice is ignore new and mcleods are very good, retail 2nd hand on the pv i've got is very similar to your budget. l

the S&B is the best scope ive ever had but i just need a bit more mag...its just a personal choice but its what i need..

im thinking of a zeiss 3-9x50...any views on this modle ??

rich.

Rich if your looking at a 3-9x power scope-that extra 1x power is not gonna make that much difference over your 8x power S&B scope.

I use a S&B 3-12x50 and my mag setting is mainly set on 10x.

Hi,

I put a Bushnell Banner Dawn & Dusk 6 -18 x 50 on my triple for Foxing and cant fault it, good clear optics under the lamp at night and goo low light visability.. all for less than £300 :good:

I run it on 10 x mag and have taken foxes out to a measured 320 yards with it so cant fault it. :good: