Staffy for shooting sports?

graysclassics

Hi peeps, Strange one this. I had to let my Springer go a year or so ago, she was only 2 but as mad as a box of rocks, I could cope but it was the dog or the wife. (the wife is still here) I have had springers before and our last one "muppet" was totally off her trolley unless she got walked 10 miles per day - literally!

I have just taken in a Blue Staff bitch - due to some ahole chucking her out on the street to starve.

I do miss being accompanied by a dog on my days on the farm, although I do have the use of a chocolate Lab (lazy sod but loves to swim) the question is: Would a Staff be any use to say track a fox etc? You know the sort of occasions when you think - I'm sure I hit that fox but then can't find it in the dark?

Does anyone have any experience with Staffs for shooting sports?

A mate of mine i shoot with has a staffie who has been out with us - he stays nice and close, but doesnt like cover, wont retreave and has no sense of smell - but he is a nice little companion to have along and is well behaved. I'm sure he could be taught to retreave etc but he's really just a well mannered pet.

I suppose it's what you want out of a shooting dog?

I guess in time all dogs can be tought. But it will depend on the dogs age. I have been to a shoot and one of the beaters has a boarder collie that was very good, and we have all seen many different shapes and sizes or terriors on many shoots.

The Staffs i have met to my thinking are not the brightest of dogs, and obviously bread for a different sport not the shooting field. So they have not been breed to have a good nose or soft mouth. But it you are only after some company in the field go for it. What's the worse that can happen.

Ditch the wife, get another springer :good: (Not meant in a jovial way :lol: )

Trust me - I had thought about it. Although she went to a family that had a springer and a cocker and the springer died so she has a companion to run ragged now so is a happy bunny. The cocker is due for a heart attack....lol

I guess in time all dogs can be tought. But it will depend on the dogs age. I have been to a shoot and one of the beaters has a boarder collie that was very good, and we have all seen many different shapes and sizes or terriors on many shoots.

The Staffs i have met to my thinking are not the brightest of dogs, and obviously bread for a different sport not the shooting field. So they have not been breed to have a good nose or soft mouth. But it you are only after some company in the field go for it. What's the worse that can happen.

Exactly, there is only one way to find out right.... thanks peeps.

A mate of mine i shoot with has a staffie who has been out with us - he stays nice and close, but doesnt like cover, wont retreave and has no sense of smell - but he is a nice little companion to have along and is well behaved. I'm sure he could be taught to retreave etc but he's really just a well mannered pet.

I suppose it's what you want out of a shooting dog?

No sense of smell, wont work cover or retreive - so as useful as a chocolate tea-pot then....! Still being well mannered and not a total schitzo will make a nice change....

Anything is possible.

I used to take mine ferreting years ago, she did ok.

I know of a fella that hunted foxes with a rescue bull terrier.

Trouble with us English is we like to use dogs for one purpose.

A retriever for retrieving a spaniel for flushing ect...

Im europe a gun dog can be chasing boar one day and fetching ducks of a pond the next.

Just do it, If the dog enjoys it it will work :good:

Anything is possible.

I used to take mine ferreting years ago, she did ok.

I know of a fella that hunted foxes with a rescue bull terrier.

Trouble with us English is we like to use dogs for one purpose.

A retriever for retrieving a spaniel for flushing ect...

Im europe a gun dog can be chasing boar one day and fetching ducks of a pond the next.

Just do it, If the dog enjoys it it will work :good:

Good advice, thanks guys...

Used to take my wife's Staff out taught it to retrieve which it did quite well but was hard mouthed never could fix that. Not a great sense of smell though.

We say a dog has a poor sense of smell in actual fact any dogs nose is between 1000 and 100,000 more sensitive than ours, Its a sense we can't imagine at those levels.

The key is your average staffie is not trained or encouraged to find game with its nose and may run over a pheasant that sat tight, given the right oppotunities and training as i said before anything is possible.

Imagine a FTC spaniel searching for drugs or a drug dog searching for a woodcock.

Neither would achieve much but both are equally caperble

Edited by Daveo26

Hi peeps, Strange one this. I had to let my Springer go a year or so ago, she was only 2 but as mad as a box of rocks, I could cope but it was the dog or the wife. (the wife is still here) I have had springers before and our last one "muppet" was totally off her trolley unless she got walked 10 miles per day - literally!

I have just taken in a Blue Staff bitch - due to some ahole chucking her out on the street to starve.

I do miss being accompanied by a dog on my days on the farm, although I do have the use of a chocolate Lab (lazy sod but loves to swim) the question is: Would a Staff be any use to say track a fox etc? You know the sort of occasions when you think - I'm sure I hit that fox but then can't find it in the dark?

Does anyone have any experience with Staffs for shooting sports?

There is an old saying horses for curses spingers have been bred for 100s of years to be used as hunt- retrieve . staff/bull dogs where all bred for the pit. (Rat, dog, bull)

If you do get a springer or cocker channel its energy in to training and work and you should not have a problem.

Edited by Actionpigeons

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree.

Why waste your time with a totally unsuitable breed when you can get one that is breed for the job.

I had one that was bred for the job, but frankly was bloody useless as a gun dog and as mental as a crack cocaine addict on new years eve.... my first springer although not mental was not a great gun-dog although a darned sight better than the last one... all dogs were bred from wolves in the first place so there might be one strand of DNA that makes her a good hunter... even if she can't retrieve she will be good company in the hide...

I worked a staffy for 10 years before age caught up with her. She would ferret really well and marked live warrens easy enough and was outstanding at flushing rabbits from cover for the lurcher to chase, she was as good as any spaniel I've seen going through cover. The problems were I don't think she used her nose in cover much, as she loved to charge through it regardless of if anything was in there or not.

She was an ace dog, I loved her company. As has been said before, there are better suited dogs for the job; but if your intent on keeping the dog, why not give it a go!

• 3 months later...

This question has always been in the back of my mind as well.

I have a long legged, or Irish Staff as some call them.

But she absolutely hates fireworks so I'm guessing a shotgun blast would be out of the question.

She retrieves well, but handing things over is a challenge.

I've got a staffie, they are very clever dogs and easy to train, as they are always keen to please. They are hard mouthed, but they will flush, they may not go right into the bushes but they flush plenty. No point shooting everything that moves. There is something about the staffie, they do bond with you and are very loyal. Lovely dogs just a few idiots have spoilt the breeds reputation.

This question has always been in the back of my mind as well.

I have a long legged, or Irish Staff as some call them.

But she absolutely hates fireworks so I'm guessing a shotgun blast would be out of the question.

She retrieves well, but handing things over is a challenge.

garyb's advice applies and I'm assuming you know your description is the get out clause applied to pit bulls by general idiots who parade them and continue to try and own them.

garyb's advice applies and I'm assuming you know your description is the get out clause applied to pit bulls by general idiots who parade them and continue to try and own them.

Utter ********.

Irish staff is the name given to any kind of bully type dog with a bit of leg to it.