I'm Quitting!

Frenchieboy

Why wait another week frenchie?

You have done it before and you can do it again. You know that they are killing you so theres no time like the present. DONT PUT IT OFF- YOUR JUST MAKING AN EXCUSE TO KEEP SMOKING FOR ANOTHER WEEK......

Best of luck !!!!!!

Edited by peek-at

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should find by the time you reach your "quit day" that you actually don't feel like a smoke if the champix is doing its job. At least that's how I felt. The only real side effect I had was VERY vivid dreams! So vivid that they are more like real memories now but it was well worth it. The best of luck and I will be following this one.

good luck with the champix mate, i was like the previous post but suffered extremely violent nightmares and had to stop them (one episode happened offshore woke up feeling like i had'nt had a wink of sleep, the guy who has the cabin next door to me came over and asked if i was ok, as i had woken him a few times shouting, screaming and punching the bulkhead. said he did'nt want to come in because he was ******** himself.) so now im on the patches step 3 handling it a lot better. but never stop trying mate

To all you would be quitters out there, prepair yourself mentaly and then waite 'til you get a stinking cold or the Flu. Thats how I quit, I felt that c**p that I went through the withdrawl and cold turkey in the 2-3 weeks that I had the Flu and went back to work a non smoker.

Good luck to all would be quitters.

Paladin

the very best of luck to you pete i know my self how hard it is to quit i have failed twice now dont listen to all the negative fools on here if you want to try and stop again then go for it

i find it very hard as my wife smokes my mates smoke my work mates smoke but i will stop and stop soon

best of luck pete

atb andy

First of all, thanks to those that have posted messages of support! :good:

I am at the end of day 6 of the Champix treatment and I have only smoked 6 ciggies today which is a real achievement in my eyes. OK, I can hear some of you saying 2If you can cut down that much then why bother smoking at all", and I totally agree with you! That is why I am going to try to have my first smoke free day tomorrow by changing my morning routine as that is the "danger period" for me! Rather than get up, having a quick wash and then settle down to a brew (which is always accompanied by a ciggie) it will be just a glass of orange juice followed straight after by taking Merlin out for a good 2 to 3 mile road walk and filling my lungs with some fresh(?) Lancashire air instead of smoke.

Hopefully the change of routine will do the trick and put me a couple of days ahead of my originally planned "Quit Day"! :yes::yes::yes:

As for the money I will be saving, all of it (and a bit more) is already spoken for because I am sending in for a variation to have a .22 WMR and a Section 1 (12G) Semi-Auto Shotgun added to my FAC. The .22 Magnum is going to replace my 17HMR which I already have an almost certain buyer lined up for so the money for that is already sorted but I am going to have to find the pennies for the S1 Shotgun - That gives me something to aim for (No pun intended)! By my working I will be saving in the region of around £25.00+ per week so I should be able to get it sorted for around Easter time!

I will update in a few days time to let you know how things are going.

Once again, thanks for the support guys! :good:

giving up is just a goal to set your self,its easy as long as your prepared to fight and win! i gave up 3 years ago,and i could gladly have a fill of bacca right now,but i don't because i made my mind up not to smoke,its all in the mind-you just need to train the bad habbit away.

I quit new years after 12 years of 10 a day and I found chewing gum was the key for me. Everytime I wanted a smoke I had a chewy, the physical movement of chewing seemed to take my mind off smoking plus I now have the mintiest breath around. Its all in the mind and as soon as you can convince yourself you don't need them you will feel so much better for it. Mentally and physically. it's just tough to break the cycle.

Anyway all the best mate and good luck.

Good luck and keep going, dont give in.

18 years ago I stopped smoking my roll ups and have never looked back. Something that might help is change your routines instead of sitting in the same chair sit in another, after your meal dont go for a smoke, go do something else. These simple things may help.

It's worth a try. Keep going, kind regards, Singlemalt. :good:

Edited by Singlemalt

OK Guys, I'm quite (No - Not quite, I'm VERY) pleased with myself! I had originally set my "quit date" for today (Wednesday) but in actual fact I am just starting my 3rd day of being smoke free. I'm not going to say that it has been easy cos I still get quite a lot of cravings and I have had to radically change my daily routing around completely. Whenever I get a strong craving I stick a Halls Mentholyptus in my gob and suck on that - It tends to take the craving away but it makes a cup of tea taste awful!

Some people said on here that I ought to just go "cold turkey" and quit just like that because if I had enough will power and determination it would be the only way. I agree that this would have been one way to do it but it was not a way that I would have felt comfortable doing it that way, everyone to their own I surpose! I much prefered to have the support and advice of a councillor who could help (And bully me if need be) and check with the co2 meter to make sure that I wasn't cheating or telling porkies.

Anyway, I am getting there but I realise that the "danger time" is not over yet and I need to keep focussed on why I have quit and make sure that I do not allow myself to slip backwards again.

Finally, for those who thought or said that I couldn't or wouldn't be able to quit, all I can say is that you really do not know me well enough, if I say that I am going to do something and I "get the bit between my teeth" I will not give up until either I have seen it through or it sees me off! So all I have to say to the "knockers is - "na-na-na-na-nah"! :lol::lol::lol:

p.s. I sent my variation form off yesterday for the .22WMR and the Section 1 Shotgun so I now really need to start putting the money by that I would have been spending on tobacco to fund things!

i quit 14 or so years ago and i still crave a smoke now when i get a whiff, its hard, really hard, but stick to your guns ( :oops: ) and think positive

er..... where can i get this champix??? if it gives you vivid dreams like matey was saying then..well.. you know where im going with this :P

OK Guys, I'm quite (No - Not quite, I'm VERY) pleased with myself! I had originally set my "quit date" for today (Wednesday) but in actual fact I am just starting my 3rd day of being smoke free. I'm not going to say that it has been easy cos I still get quite a lot of cravings and I have had to radically change my daily routing around completely. Whenever I get a strong craving I stick a Halls Mentholyptus in my gob and suck on that - It tends to take the craving away but it makes a cup of tea taste awful!

Some people said on here that I ought to just go "cold turkey" and quit just like that because if I had enough will power and determination it would be the only way. I agree that this would have been one way to do it but it was not a way that I would have felt comfortable doing it that way, everyone to their own I surpose! I much prefered to have the support and advice of a councillor who could help (And bully me if need be) and check with the co2 meter to make sure that I wasn't cheating or telling porkies.

Anyway, I am getting there but I realise that the "danger time" is not over yet and I need to keep focussed on why I have quit and make sure that I do not allow myself to slip backwards again.

Finally, for those who thought or said that I couldn't or wouldn't be able to quit, all I can say is that you really do not know me well enough, if I say that I am going to do something and I "get the bit between my teeth" I will not give up until either I have seen it through or it sees me off! So all I have to say to the "knockers is - "na-na-na-na-nah"! :lol::lol::lol:

p.s. I sent my variation form off yesterday for the .22WMR and the Section 1 Shotgun so I now really need to start putting the money by that I would have been spending on tobacco to fund things!

Never understand this one, I gave up just over 6 years ago, I was a 20 a day man, now let's not get into serious detail and lets assume the price was £4 a pack a day average (probably more), over 6 years.

£4 x 365 days = £1460

£1460 x 6 Years = £8760

£8760 I wish I knew where it was? I think you are right, if you want to see it you MUST put it away, or it just seems to disappear! :hmm::hmm:

Edited by Dekers

Good luck with it.

I stopped last July and I think the urge to smoke has just about gone now, but only just. It surprised me just how long the urge remained. Maybe the fact it has been a habit for nearly 40 years had summat to do with it.

I stopped because I didn't want to die from it and cause my grandchildren to miss out on having a Grandad. Admirable reason you may say, well I think so too but I don't have any grand children. :lol:

For my next trick I am going to try and lose enough weight so I can see my willy again. :blush:

you're no failure, you realise you've wondered off the track and you're trying to get back, keep trying and you'll get there one day, its all or nothing though, the patches worked for me 10 years ago and now im just getting rid of the extra weight, good luck :good:

Never understand this one, I gave up just over 6 years ago, I was a 20 a day man, now let's not get into serious detail and lets assume the price was £4 a pack a day average (probably more), over 6 years.

£4 x 365 days = £1460

£1460 x 6 Years = £8760

£8760 I wish I knew where it was? I think you are right, if you want to see it you MUST put it away, or it just seems to disappear! :hmm::hmm:

You are quite right there Dekers! If you don't put the money that you would have spent on 'bacco away you are not likely to see it or realise just how much you have saved! (It also helps if you don't tell the wife where you've hidden it :lol::lol::lol:)

It's almost a week now and have saved myself over £20 - It soon mounts up! :yes:

p.s. It really drives home just how much smoking does cost when you put it on paper as you just have - Over just one year it is enough for a pretty darned good rifle and scope!

the Champix pill worked for me :good: given up for nearly 3 years now. good luck mate ...

ps do you get weird dreams on the champix pill...? or was it just me :crazy:

No mate, it wasn't just you. Weird dreams is one of the most common side effects of Champix, and I have had a few really weird ones.

"Foxy Bingo" - What would Mrs F do without me? No doubt have a much "quieter and more peaceful life"! :lol::lol::lol:

I used to put £25 a week away after I stopped smoking . In no time at all I had myself the semi auto I wanted . You have to set yourself goals

The most important thing to remember is that it only takes one fag to get back on the ladder and have to go through all this detox again .

I gave up 4 years ago after smoking 30 a day for over 20 years . Its not hard quitting it's staying quit that's difficult . There are still times now when I think I could just have one but I ain't going down that road again

I think it makes you realise when you smell someone who's just smoked a fag how bad you used to stink .

Good luck Frenchie and keep it up