Is This Breaking The Law

sitsinhedges

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the gun is in a case no and you can prove where you are going problem, open the case its "Armed Trespas" which is a criminal offence rather than a civil offence of normal trespass mind you if you could approach the land by other ways I myself would

Deershooter :good:

Why would you go another way or the long way round when you commit no offences by walking the footpath?

Shooters need to stop worrying about upseting people when all they are doing is carrying out lawful pursuits.

Life can always be dificult I didnt say I would walk a long way round it is normally best to avoid confrontation .You might be in the right but some people have no idea of the law and might cause trouble, on renewal the police firearms department have notification every time you have had dealing with the police

Deershooter

If the gun is in a case no and you can prove where you are going problem, open the case its "Armed Trespas"

Perhaps with air rifle or section 1 gun but with a section 2 shotgun it is not Armed trespass. Only becomes an offence when loaded.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/shotgun-code-of-practice.cfm

It is an offence to be in possession of a loaded shotgun in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

No legal requirement to slip a shotgun when walking to from permission :good: Good idea though

Edited by HDAV

Perhaps with air rifle or section 1 gun but with a section 2 shotgun it is not Armed trespass. Only becomes an offence when loaded.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/shotgun-code-of-practice.cfm

No legal requirement to slip a shotgun when walking to from permission :good: Good idea though

I've always thought that odd really, I can walk in a public area with an uncovered shotgun and, so long as it is unloaded, I am totally within the law. However, the police are bound to lock up anyone attempting to exercise this with the offensive weapons act or similar?

I've always thought that odd really, I can walk in a public area with an uncovered shotgun and, so long as it is unloaded, I am totally within the law. However, the police are bound to lock up anyone attempting to exercise this with the offensive weapons act or similar?

Are you sure? I think your're wrong, i'm pretty sure it has to be in a slip.

To the OP, you should be fine with it in a slip on a public footpath, as long as it's in a slip you're fine

To the OP, you should be fine with it in a slip on a public footpath, as long as it's in a slip you're fine

I may well be wrong yes, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere and it stuck in my mind because I thought it odd. I'm sure someone will correct me soon though! :good:

You are wrong the gun does not have to be in a slip in public but should not be loaded.

I am always walking the lanes with the gun and dog going to and from my land.

Its just air rifles need to be covered.

1968 Firearms Act........ http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.E+W+S.A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F45(a)a loaded shot gun, .

(b )an air weapon (whether loaded or not), .

(c )any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or .

(d)an imitation firearm.]

no mention of being covered or not.

20 Trespassing with firearm.E+W+S.

(1)A person commits an offence if, while he has a firearm [F47or imitation firearm] with him, he enters or is in any building or part of a building as a trespasser and without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him). .

(2)A person commits an offence if, while he has a firearm [F47or imitation firearm] with him, he enters or is on any land as a trespasser and without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him). .

(3)In subsection (2) of this section the expression “land” includes land covered with water.

HW682

I have never seen anyone walking to or from a shop with a un-slipped gun unless they came out with a lot of money.

Hmm, I may have done just that, but you wouldn't have seen it as these folding 410's can't be seen under my coat!

Slightly off from the original post, so I do apologise but is there any problem with shotgun cleaning and practicing gun-mount in your own garden...? :unsure:

I don't think so, except that you may end up getting pinned down by the armed response unit after reports from a neighbour/passer by of a lunatic with a gun!

It does seem then that indeed you can have an uncovered shotgun in a public place, and if I'm walking between fields that I'm shooting on then I only need to remove the cartridges when I'm crossing over the 'public place'.

I like having a folding .410, no need for a slip, just stick it under my coat...

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, the details are important, I have PERFECTLY LEGALLY shot in a Council owned PUBLIC PARK, with the full blessing, and at the request of the Council. And the park was open, there is more detail of course, but that is much worse than simply having an unsleeved gun in public. :good::good:

I guess its a question of ho much hassle you want from the police; and any excuse to consider your licence, for what 20 second, putting it into a slip

I don't take a slip out, I take a dog, gun, cartridges and game bag. I commit no offences and if the police want to speak to me about it then let them. I am doing nothing wrong, have nothing to hide and there is nothing they can do to me.

Some of you are paranoid.