Any help starting a business ?

Lloyd90

Hi guys, just wondering what help you can get when starting up a business these days ?

I know some parts of the Country get grants and so on for help and was just wondering if there is anything available if I decided to go it alone :good:

I am 21 and in South Wales if that makes any difference.

Hi guys, just wondering what help you can get when starting up a business these days ?

I know some parts of the Country get grants and so on for help and was just wondering if there is anything available if I decided to go it alone :good:

You can do some Business StartUp courses through the Employment service,

Some of the banks are very keen to help new startup businesses with things like a years free banking plus lots of input from different experts,

Her Majestys Customs & Excise do courses on things to do with the taxation side of things and VAT

Local courses do various courses on things like book keeping, marketing.

What kind of business?

been a market trader 22 years , ******* hard work :( and they are dieing fast :/

do you have any contacts etc , do you know of any pitches available or oppertunities coming up in the fish industry .

i know several fish men , 2 come straight from grimsby docks , 1 uses a wholesaler nearer to notts ,money can still be made but the right pitch is everything .

dont give up your job to go on the markets unless your 100% sure

My Father is toby on 2

Wow! you learn a new thing everyday - a Toby is the man that collects pitch money. Never knew that. :good:

So, just trying to understand the logic here, bear with me: because your father collects the pitch money off people, you know all there is about selling fish?

My Dad was an accountant before he retired, does that mean I should start up a business as a tree surgeon?

My Father is toby on 2 and knows the tobys on all the other's :good: I been working on em helping him out since I was about 5 lol! Know a few lads doing it already, know its hard work, was just wondering what things were in places to help start up :hmm:

well if you know theres a defo opening for a fish monger , then do some market research .

but you,ll need plenty of fishy knowledge

ok here is my take on it.

there are loads of vacuous business courses teaching you nothing yet earning whatever quango set them up a load of money.

there are no startup grants available or help with premises or rates etc.

your best bet is to just expect no help and do it on your own. start in your bedroom or garage. start small and if your business model works you will succeed.

Back in the late 80s I was Head of Finance in the Valleys region of WDA, Treforest.

Qualified MBA, FCMA and CGMA.

You need a business plan...and banks will not lend a penny without one. Nor will they lend without collateral...your house, as well as assets held by your new firm.

Markets are falling...is it the right time to be starting a business when a recession is looming? Can you really undercut Sainsburys and Tescos? So you must have a competitive advantage. Can you obtain firm repeat orders at a viable contract price? Will your mates really continue to buy off you?

Remember, cash is king in small business.

9 out of 10 new starts fail, last time I checked. It is a hell of a strain running your own business and I've known people to try to top themselves when they fail...they loose the house, the wife ******* off and the family judges you.

A sole trader has to be expert at finance, marketing, production, personnel, legal, etc etc

Good luck.

:unsure:

You will get no financial help from any of the establishment quangos but will be hounded by every smart ar--d cold calling salesman in the land as soon as you register a business. The Council,landlord, Vat man etc will want you to work for them until Friday dinnertime at least.

A bit of good advice is make friends of your customers and make customers of your friends.

Expect a tough first year

You will get no financial help from any of the establishment quangos but will be hounded by every smart ar--d cold calling salesman in the land as soon as you register a business. The Council,landlord, Vat man etc will want you to work for them until Friday dinnertime at least.

???

I think you need TPS!

ok here is my take on it.

there are loads of vacuous business courses teaching you nothing yet earning whatever quango set them up a load of money.

there are no startup grants available or help with premises or rates etc.

your best bet is to just expect no help and do it on your own. start in your bedroom or garage. start small and if your business model works you will succeed.

Don,t start a fishmongers in your bedroom :no: :no:

Are you going to be a ltd company or a (lemon)sole trader :blink: