pigeons in tree with shotgun?

tomhw100

unsporting  

140 members have voted

1. 1. do you shoot pigeons sitting in tree's with shotgun?

• yes
    • no
    • only if they have been chipped

hi chaps

just a thought....wondered what you lot do,i personally don't unless they've been chipped. We are talking about shotguns here remember not air guns!. and i know some of you have to etc etc because of the farmer,i just personally don't as i think its to easy and unsporting. on the other hand crows and magpies i do because they are *******!

your views gentlemen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but only in the name of crop protection. Not happy about it or proud of it but pest control is pest control. It also helps to keep other birds from joining them in the trees.

Usually try to scare them out of the tree first and then take a shot at them but sometimes they don't budge without wasting a shell.

yes every time just same as shooting small rabbits , killin fox cubs,its not really sporting killing a fox at 50 yards with a .308 full on sniper rifle but we all do it dead is dead job done its pest control fella the numbers are what the farmers want not if its a sporting shot or not if your that bothered your doing the wrong hobby :yes:

Edited by swiss.tony

yes every time just same as shooting small rabbits , killin fox cubs,its not really sporting killing a fox at 50 yards with a .308 full on sniper rifle but we all do it dead is dead job done its pest control fella the numbers are what the farmers want not if its a sporting shot or not if your that bothered your doing the wrong hobby :yes:

erm i don't remember saying i was bothered :hmm: ,i just said i personally don't do it i shoot them as they take out...it i can. I pest control over thousands of acres and I've never actually had a farmer moan about pigeons- because we control them and we don't have to shoot them in the trees simple. I don't think I'm doing the wrong hobby mate. :hmm: you have to agree it is a bit of a cheap shot though...and i don't shoot minuscule bunnies no bigger than my fist either but if you do thats your choice!

Edited by tomhw100

I don't wait for pigeons to land before i shoot them, but if they do, they get shot. Not a cheap shot at all.

Saying that, when a pigeon lands on it's own in the decoys, i will scare it and shoot it as it goes away. Different if it lands in a tree, you may not get a shot at it exiting.

Edited by motty

erm i don't remember saying i was bothered :hmm: ,i just said i personally don't do it i shoot them as they take out...it i can. I pest control over thousands of acres and I've never actually had a farmer moan about pigeons- because we control them and we don't have to shoot them in the trees simple. I don't think I'm doing the wrong hobby mate. :hmm: you have to agree it is a bit of a cheap shot though...and i don't shoot minuscule bunnies no bigger than my fist either but if you do thats your choice!

OK so how come you shoot magpies and crows in trees because there *** holes your words not mine but you dont shoot pigeons explain please ?

OK so how come you shoot magpies and crows in trees because there *** holes your words not mine but you dont shoot pigeons explain please ?

i know they are my words because i wrote them mate! :yes: -because i have more respect for pigeons than i do crows and magpies which kill other songbirds,game birds,steal eggs etc etc. on game shoots these birds do more damage than pigeons(if you don't include crop damage). Everyone knows crows and magpies are harder quarry to control than pigeons also,and a missed chance at a crow/magpie is a lot worse than letting one wood pigeon escape IN MY EYES.like i said i respect your views and they are right...i'm just fortunate enough to not have to shoot all pigeons that land in trees,to satisfy all the farmers that we vermin control for...when roost shooting you don't wait for them to land before you shoot them do you? :P

Well, I've never seen a "pigeon sitting in a tree with a shotgun" But I can guarantee i'd drop it if i did. :yes:

Sitting, flying, wandering about they all taste the same and don't eat any more crops.

if they are sitting 10 yards away in a tree and you shoot them with a tight choke they wouldn't taste the same mmmmmmm a slight hint of lead :lol:

You can if the shot presents itself, but you shouldn't pass on an opportunity just because you may consider it unsporting.

'How many did you shoot today'

'None, I let them go as they were all to easy'

Won't exactly wash will it.

haha i do get your point...and id shoot them before they landed...anyway its just my opinion which I'm entitled to...seems like I've ruffled a few peoples feathers though!?

Edited by tomhw100

if they are sitting 10 yards away in a tree and you shoot them with a tight choke they wouldn't taste the same mmmmmmm a slight hint of lead :lol:

True, but I don't remember anyone mentioning a distance. Anyway, I've shot plenty at 10 yards flying round the back of the pattern. I don't see the difference??

True, but I don't remember anyone mentioning a distance. Anyway, I've shot plenty at 10 yards flying round the back of the pattern. I don't see the difference??

i know i was only joking....i reckon a a shot a 10 yards with tight chokes would be more concentrated if the target was still-as if shooting a pattern board whereas if it were flying you would loose some of your spread and also as its flying you have more chance of missing.

I think "sporting" comes into play on game shoots and even waterfowl, you wouldn't shoot a pheasant on the ground or a duck on the water! But pest control is different and my view is every bird should get shot given the shot is safe.

I don't think anyone who has said they don't shoot them in trees would let it go if the farmer was standing there due to principles.

I think "sporting" comes into play on game shoots and even waterfowl, you wouldn't shoot a pheasant on the ground or a duck on the water! But pest control is different and my view is every bird should get shot given the shot is safe.

I don't think anyone who has said they don't shoot them in trees would let it go if the farmer was standing there due to principles.

i have done.... and I'm in a position where the farmers won't get no one else so in that way I'm lucky. i think you can still be sporting whilst pest controlling but thats just me like I've said I'm in fortunate enough position to be able to pest control efficiently and keep the farmers happy. I remember a few years back a small holding owner asked me and my mate to sort some rabbits out as they were digging holes and one of his horses broke its leg and his hay field was decimated...we near enough wiped out the whole population of rabbits in two outings...he was grateful but on the other hand a little upset as there was NO rabbits left. so i don't think all farmers are the same.