Horse Name Needed

Paul T

Esteemed Members of PW,

I'm not normally stuck for names for any of our stock, but we've just bought a new horse and both Mrs T and I are completely flummoxed for a suitable name.

He's a 3 year old T/B gelding, dark bay colour. He has raced, but due to a either a syndicate split or the business folding (can't remember which) he came up for sale and I bought him. He's not going to be raced, but will be used for eventing and hunting.

Name needs to be something short without an 'o' sound in it (we use stop, trot and halt as commands which could sound similar) and be fairly soft sounding.

Help appreciated gents (and ladies)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geezer.

There was a big Irish cob called Geezer at the yard where we kept our pointer. The lady who ran the yard wouldn't allow his name above his stable door as she thought it lowered the tone :lol: I thought it was a suitably fitting name as he was an out and out geezer.

Whenever we get a new animal in the family we live with them for a bit before we give them a name. Gives you a chance to see what their personality traits are, something usually suggests itself. The downside is they usually get a stupid nickname in the meantime which sometimes sticks. I am too embarrassed to give examples, other than the one we nicked from somewhere else, a donkey called Hotey. Donkey Hotey. Geddit?

There was a racehorse once called Norfolk Enchants, I remember them discussing it on Radio 5 and it was ages before one of the presenters clicked and they all cracked up. I believe the jockey club eventually banned the name. I just googled it and apparently Wayne Rooney had the same idea, he was also prevented from using Hoof Hearted for the same reason...

You need something with distinctive vowel sounds, that carries a long way. The Aussies teach people to shout FaaaarCaaaaall ( Far-Call) if they're lost in the outback because the sounds are easy to make loudly and carry a long way. How about Karrah or Farrah ?

Funny I hear that from the wife when I ask what can I have.

ATB figgy

You need something with distinctive vowel sounds, that carries a long way. The Aussies teach people to shout FaaaarCaaaaall ( Far-Call) if they're lost in the outback because the sounds are easy to make loudly and carry a long way. How about Karrah or Farrah ?

Liking Farrah at the moment - never had any animal called that and it ticks all the boxes. Unless anyone else comes up with a better one, Farrah it will be. Thanks mate.

He arrives on Sunday aft so no pics atm.