Shotgun licence revocation.

Smog On Tyne

Just had a visit from firearms. They have revoked my licence and removed my gun and ammo.

Reason...... Me and my wife were referred to marriage counciling in 2004 & 2007. Apparently this is classed as mental health issues!!! Only had licence a week had not had chance to join BASC so going to citizens advice tomorrow. Anyone else had similar problems...

Biggest problem is deciding wether to appeal as a guy in sporting gun article mentioned £7000 court costs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a visit from firearms. They have revoked my licence and removed my gun and ammo.

Reason...... Me and my wife were referred to marriage counciling in 2004 & 2007. Apparently this is classed as mental health issues!!! Only had licence a week had not had chance to join BASC so going to citizens advice tomorrow. Anyone else had similar problems...

Biggest problem is deciding wether to appeal as a guy in sporting gun article mentioned £7000 court costs

eh 1 week and you lost it all ready something dont sound rite wood they have not all ready done all there back ground checks on you tell us more details

Yes BASC is your best shot at the moment. They have probably took it away from you because they thought you were hiding/lying about something. If you declared it they would of gave you a yes/no decision before the arrival of the certificate.

But question to the forum aint the FEO supposed to do the checks before they send you the SGC?

Yeah tried have to ring tomorrow no one available

try again and i want to know if they are willing to help or not, did the police take the guns or did a mate come get them of did you rfd them.

and is there anything your not telling us that in 3 pages is going to make us change our minds about you?

Nothing to hide mate, we were told doctors could refer us to marriage counseling instead of paying (at the time we were on bones of our **** money wise). They two cops have removed my gun and 499 cartridges into storage. They remain my property until I appeal or until someone else collects who is a SGC holder.

Am gutted I am a manager of a million pound turnover business dealing with the police on a daily basis. I am even due at Crown Court 27th of this month as a witness for the police against some metal thieves.

I'm just playing devils advocate, but why should BASC help if you're not a member?

Surely you'd want cover/insurance in place before you get a shotgun not after.

Father in law has being shooting 30 years and never had/needed insurance so I was caught in two minds regarding basc

If you are genuinely asking for help / advice etc, I believe that you need to tell us the facts. If you don't tell us the full script, any opinion isn't worth a bean.

Never taken any medication, 2004 I walked into a clinic met two nurses they didn't know why I was there and sent me to relate. 2007 they sent me to another marriage council session. Only went once

You dismiss the medical side of this fairly lightly, but there has to be something serious enough to warrant the removal of your SGC. The scenario you cite above is vague - to be charitable.

Forgive my cynicism, as these threads crop up every now and then. By about page 6, we might be in possession of half the facts.

I would give this http://lewisnedas.co.uk/expertise/firearms-law/ company a call. They will advise you free for 30 minutes.

30 mins free then take your pants down and rape you over the desk about 15 times 100 quid for 30 mins ill guess at it will cost a forture to go court and fight best of saying to hell with them and take up fishing :yes:

The grounds on which a shotgun certificate may be revoked are different from those for the revocation of a firearm certificate. The grounds for revocation of a shotgun certificate are satisfied if the chief constable is satisfied either:

a. that the certificate holder is prohibited from possessing a shotgun; or

b. that the certificate holder cannot be permitted to possess a shotgun without danger to public safety or the peace.

What is a prohibited person?

A person who has been sentenced to imprisonment, detention or corrective training for a term of three years or more, is permanently prohibited from having any firearms or ammunition in their possession. This means for life and includes all firearms, even air weapons.

A person sentenced to imprisonment, detention or corrective training for a period of over three months but less than three years is prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition for five years from date of release.

From what you've said you're not a prohibited person, and don't pose a danger to the public or the peace.

It's the chief constable who authorises a revocation. If I was you I'd write to him and ask for his reasons for the revocation - get something in writing, before taking it any further.

Edited by poontang

I'm just playing devils advocate, but why should BASC help if you're not a member?

Surely you'd want cover/insurance in place before you get a shotgun not after.

I'm with you on this Nick, might as well not renew my membership if non-members are going to get the benefits, think I'll jack the old RAC in as well, I'm sure they'll come out to me if I'm in need :hmm:

Whilst on the face of it Smog on the Tyne has been hard done by and on that basis should get his cert back sooner rather than later, but still don't see why BASC should help other than perhaps some "over the phone" advice or if the case is worth pursuing because they feel the case is unusual enough to help the paying membership in the future.

Potter