Shotgun licence revocation.

Smog On Tyne

our social worker referred us to the doctor for help, That's why we went to the doctors I admit to being a shouter but that's it no sign of domestic violence or anything I was brought up different to that.

mayby its because social sevices are involved and your doctor :hmm:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Detail is important, but nobody here can answer this one anyway.

One point just the same, has your SGC actually been formerly revoked, or have they just removed everything pending further investigation, there is a big difference, and if it has been revoked you should be in possession of formal detailed reasons why!

I think I would side with the Police on this one. They have taken a battering lately and they are just being diligent. If you go to court and the judge says it's ok for you to have SGC, the Police are in the clear as it is not their decision.

I doubt if you will succeed, sell the gun and ammo and see if they will let you be a guest at a local club.

I think I would side with the Police on this one. They have taken a battering lately and they are just being diligent. If you go to court and the judge says it's ok for you to have SGC, the Police are in the clear as it is not their decision.

I doubt if you will succeed, sell the gun and ammo and see if they will let you be a guest at a local club.

Having had a revocation the OP is barred from borrowing a gun.

Edited by CharlieT

Ive just found out about this and let me tell you now. Ive known phil (smog on the tyne) for over 10 years now and ive never met a more honest trustwortthy sound bloke,this is shocking news as i know how much he wanted his license as he comes shootin with me regualy.

As he says the company we work for is massive and does background checks on all their employees and phil is above squeaky clean. Weve all had bad patches with our wifes and phil went down the path of marriage guidence to prove how much his wife meant to him. Now that doesnt mean hes got mental issues does it

All he wants to do is take up shooting , enjoy the sport and like me be part of this shooting community who provide vast knowledge and support, i for one will do whatever i can to help phil get his gun back so he get back to enjoying his hobby

Thanks

I have heard of people going through a current marital break up getting their tickets pulled but this has been precautionary and temporary. Usually associated with the fact that the man is no longer living at the address where the guns are registered.

It does imply an unstable marriage and I do know that referees get leaned upon on the subject of family background. Are you sure this came from the doctor and not a referee?

I have heard of people going through a current marital break up getting their tickets pulled but this has been precautionary and temporary. Usually associated with the fact that the man is no longer living at the address where the guns are registered.

It does imply an unstable marriage and I do know that referees get leaned upon on the subject of family background. Are you sure this came from the doctor and not a referee?

The game keeper above is my referee

I am not suggesting in any way that this is the case here but I distinctly remember being asked by the FEO at interview if I had a stable marriage. He specifically asked if I had ever been unfaithful or thought my wife had and just generally if we were happy and even what we planned for our anniversary.

I told him I would answer but that I was also aware he could not legally ask the question he was asking or rather, I was under no obligation to answer....we had no such problems with our marriage however so I did not particularly mind.

I pressed him as to why he was asking and basically he was under instructions to identify any potential circumstance where there is even a remote possibility for the use of a firearm in domestic violence. I did understand his reasoning. Ultimately, even whilst it is not the exact letter of the law to do so, the police take the consequences when something like Peterlee happens.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that police forces have gone through records again and picked out ANYONE with reports of domestic issues, no matter how minor. Then proceded to revoke all certificates as a precaution whilst they investigate further. I have a strong suspicion that you will get your certificate back. Lets not be so quick to call it injustice. The police afterall, do ultimately bare the responsibility in the eyes of the public if they miss a potential red flag.

Personally, instead of going the legal route immediately and antagonizing the situation, I would write a letter to the Chief Constable expressing concern as to the manner of the revocation and explaining that, if marriage counselling was the reason for the revocation, could they elaborate as to why marriage problems driven over concerns for your sons well being, would be a valid reason for determining your suitability for firearms certificates. CC the FEO by name.

Of course, if you write such a letter and receive no reply or an unsatisfactory reply, take it further. I would caution against using this board if you go the legal route, it is public and as such may jeopardise your case if it went to court.

Good luck either way, you seem like a decent chap.

Edited by notsosureshot

Detail is important, but nobody here can answer this one anyway.

One point just the same, has your SGC actually been formerly revoked, or have they just removed everything pending further investigation, there is a big difference, and if it has been revoked you should be in possession of formal detailed reasons why!

and this.

Just a though but are you still married to the same woman now...or did it eventually break down. If your still married and your wife is happy enough and hasn't been put under the patio :look: then surely that says something in your favour

Ive just found out about this and let me tell you now. Ive known phil (smog on the tyne) for over 10 years now and ive never met a more honest trustwortthy sound bloke,this is shocking news as i know how much he wanted his license as he comes shootin with me regualy.

As he says the company we work for is massive and does background checks on all their employees and phil is above squeaky clean. Weve all had bad patches with our wifes and phil went down the path of marriage guidence to prove how much his wife meant to him. Now that doesnt mean hes got mental issues does it

All he wants to do is take up shooting , enjoy the sport and like me be part of this shooting community who provide vast knowledge and support, i for one will do whatever i can to help phil get his gun back so he get back to enjoying his hobby

Thanks

Well, if it turns out to be the reason he's had his guns seized that's a bloody sad state of affairs.......

Why should we have to put up with this ****. I assume they took the knives out of your kitchen drawer too etc etc :rolleyes:

Point taken and yes, you are correct, however, the police require general public support to operate effectively so need to be seen to do something strong on such sensitive issues.

There are two sides to every coin. As shooters, we do need to co-operate with the police which includes giving them a break from time to time. They are only trying to do a job afterall. It makes sense for shooters to remain as supportive as possible of the police, they are not the enemy of shooting, not in general. Anti-police sentiment helps nobody.

That said, I dearly hope for a review of firearms legislation because at the moment, it is unfair on shooters, the public and the police.

Why should we have to put up with this ****. I assume they took the knives out of your kitchen drawer too etc etc :rolleyes:

Because of Ryan (Hungerford), Hamilton (Dunblaine), Bird (Cumbria) and now Atherton (Peterlee). The Police certainly don't want another one of those and with the wonderful gift of hindsight they should/could have removed those 4 individuals guns. Probably wouldn't have stopped the killings, they'd have just used different weapons but at least a large, vocal section of the general populous wouldn't be baying to take our guns off us.

In possibly my naive belief that justice will eventually prevail, I'd rather see someone without their guns for a few weeks/months than switch on the news to another body count and the further fall out that will bring. There is already a significant minority of the public who would have our guns away tomorrow.

Potter

Sorry if this is after the horse has bolted but please send this to your doctor before renewal

Dear Doctor uuuuuuuuu,

I am in the process of applying for the renewal of my Firearm and Shotgun Certificates and it is now a requirement that I give the police the name and address of my Doctor.

It is possible that the police may contact you and ask you to provide factual details of my medical history. The Home Office has advised that that is all they may ask and that is all they have my signed authority for. They may under no circumstances have access to my medical records nor are they to ask you for an opinion on my suitability to possess firearms.

The Home Office has also said that the police should only need to contact Doctors where there are genuine concerns about an applicant’s health and that if there is a charge for supplying the information it must be paid by the police.

Any request to you from the police will inevitably concern confidential, privileged and personal information. I should therefore be most grateful if you would copy to me any report you may make to the police and also keep me informed of the details of any other contact you may have with them concerning my application. Any charges for this aspect will of course be covered by myself.

Yours sincerely,

Deershooter

Because of Ryan (Hungerford), Hamilton (Dunblaine), Bird (Cumbria) and now Atherton (Peterlee). The Police certainly don't want another one of those and with the wonderful gift of hindsight they should/could have removed those 4 individuals guns. Probably wouldn't have stopped the killings, they'd have just used different weapons but at least a large, vocal section of the general populous wouldn't be baying to take our guns off us.

In possibly my naive belief that justice will eventually prevail, I'd rather see someone without their guns for a few weeks/months than switch on the news to another body count and the further fall out that will bring. There is already a significant minority of the public who would have our guns away tomorrow.

Potter

It's where the point of balance occurs though, and episodes such as this make me believe that they are often going much too far 'just in case'.

The fact is that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are perfectly safe and responsible and it's not fair to keep raising the bar because of the occasional nutter.

If you dig deep enough you could probably find a perfectly good reason to ban almost anyone.

It's where the point of balance occurs though, and episodes such as this make me believe that they are often going much too far 'just in case'.

The fact is that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are perfectly safe and responsible and it's not fair to keep raising the bar because of the occasional nutter.

If you dig deep enough you could probably find a perfectly good reason to ban almost anyone.

Yep... If marriage guidance (with no more sinister issues) is seen as evidence of mental health issues then wouldn't be debt, job insecurity, bereavement......... the list of things that could potentially send someone into a depression where they may harm themselves or others is almost endless!

Yep... If marriage guidance (with no more sinister issues) is seen as evidence of mental health issues then wouldn't be debt, job insecurity, bereavement......... the list of things that could potentially send someone into a depression where they may harm themselves or others is almost endless!

Not to mention that shooting can be an outlet that gives respite from the less pleasant stuff that's happening in your life along with a social element that keeps you in contact with your friends.

Sitsinhedges - damn straight. Shooting gets you out and about, it makes you focus on the present and not dwell on issues. So clearly, taking that away from someone in need of rest and repite from stress is s brilliant way to ensure they won't get pushed into doing something stupid...

Seriously, if this turns out to be literally down to marriage counselling 8 years ago, this serious BS And BaSC should be involved as this concerns us all, forget membership this time round, or at least accept the guy joining after the fact. If true, it literally means shooting people cannot access any counselling whatsoever. Is that better, or worse, for public safety?

if i didnt have guns and be able to get outside and go shooting,see the wildlife, feel the fresh air against my face, id get depressed.

i just hate been stuck inside.

it makes you wonder tho.

just how many licence holders WONT go to the DR for depression or other issues. in fear that the one thing that lets them forget about all ther problems is taken away from them?

if i didnt have guns and be able to get outside and go shooting,see the wildlife, feel the fresh air against my face, id get depressed.

i just hate been stuck inside.

it makes you wonder tho.

just how many licence holders WONT go to the DR for depression or other issues. in fear that the one thing that lets them forget about all ther problems is taken away from them?

I was sitting thinking this last night after taking my suit off after attending the third funeral in three weeks but I got out hunting on Saturday and despite my ear being clogged with snow being driven into it and me being unable to speak till my lips thawed out I thought I was having a stroke till oneshot came back to the car with the same symptoms I still felt invigorated on Saturday night. I know most of you know the feeling absolutelly Knackered but sit with a glass and you feel that contented glow. That I would really miss,and you wonder if you didnt have that and you were low would you approach your doctor? :hmm:

It must be common to most police forces now to contact your doctor as i just had a appointment today and i asked if he was contacted by them, he said he was and showed me the letter on the computer attached to my file,

It pretty much said if he knows any medical reason why i should not be granted a shotgun certificate can he please contact them with his reasons, he had wrote "no action neccesary" and put it on my file.

If i was the OP i would talk to my doctor and find out what was said, hope it all works out for you!

Edited by smokinggun