Shotgun licence revocation.

Smog On Tyne

I'm with you on this Nick, might as well not renew my membership if non-members are going to get the benefits, think I'll jack the old RAC in as well, I'm sure they'll come out to me if I'm in need :hmm:

Whilst on the face of it Smog on the Tyne has been hard done by and on that basis should get his cert back sooner rather than later, but still don't see why BASC should help other than perhaps some "over the phone" advice or if the case is worth pursuing because they feel the case is unusual enough to help the paying membership in the future.

Potter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just playing devils advocate, but why should BASC help if you're not a member?

Surely you'd want cover/insurance in place before you get a shotgun not after.

because the ment to be pro active in protecting our sport.

so if they nip this in the bud asap then its not going to happen to anybody eles. the blokes not suffering from mental health issues. this is just the police making a farce of themselves and causing trouble. if basc arnt pro active in this im taking my subs money elsewhere.

get someone to pick the guns up asap they get damaged in police safes, you shouldn't of let them take the cartridges at all, you dont need a licence to hold cartridges only to buy them. and write a letter of complaint, addressed to chief of police, put your side of the argument over marriage counselling is not mental health, go see your dr get something written down, write your circumstances at the time.

The grounds on which a shotgun certificate may be revoked are different from those for the revocation of a firearm certificate. The grounds for revocation of a shotgun certificate are satisfied if the chief constable is satisfied either:

a. that the certificate holder is prohibited from possessing a shotgun; or

b. that the certificate holder cannot be permitted to possess a shotgun without danger to public safety or the peace.

What is a prohibited person?

A person who has been sentenced to imprisonment, detention or corrective training for a term of three years or more, is permanently prohibited from having any firearms or ammunition in their possession. This means for life and includes all firearms, even air weapons.

A person sentenced to imprisonment, detention or corrective training for a period of over three months but less than three years is prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition for five years from date of release.

From what you've said you're not a prohibited person, and don't pose a danger to the public or the peace.

It's the chief constable who authorises a revocation. If I was you I'd write to him and ask for his reasons for the revocation - get something in writing, before taking it any further.

Indeed I would join online NOW as you will be a member today! and that's the day it happened and your choice to join BASC/SACS/CPSA/NGO etc.

Revocation is technically a more serious issue than them not granting an application in the first place. Keep records of all correspondence and keep calm, It may be following investigations into the Taxi Drivers they have decided to err on the side of caution and revoke everything they think they can possibly get away with.

I would also write to James Marchington.

It's a tough one for us as a member we want to believe your whiter than white and deserving of a cert, but I've never met met you and have no idea if you are or not. Good luck and hope it works out well for you.

If you didn`t declare it which it seems like you didn`t that`s a sure fire way to annoy the police, i think if you had declared it then it wouldn`t have been a problem, although on the flip side who would have declared marriage counseling as depression?

Also isn`t it slightly worrying they issued a licence before the checks from the doctor came back

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

Feel sorry for you chap, but i've been through all the Relate and counselling ********. Firstly it has nothing to do with your GP and is totally confidential in any case. And there's absolutely no reason to tell your FEO about it, marriage breakdown doesn't suggest personality disorder.....unless of course it was suggested by your GP because you had your missus against the wall with a knife to her throat??

Not saying that's what happened chap but if you want any real advice you're going to have to come clean, at least to any lawyer/association that might be trying to help you.

I agree with people saying why should BASC help a non member.

I have nothing to hide, the cops who took my gun away were going to another 8 houses to take guns away so I am not the only one getting a surprise today. Suppose this is part of the fallout from the bloke in Peterlee .

My youngest son was being diagnosed at the time with Autism and the stress's associated with this but a big strain on my marriage, our social worker referred us to the doctor for help, That's why we went to the doctors I admit to being a shouter but that's it no sign of domestic violence or anything I was brought up different to that.

Feel sorry for you chap, but i've been through all the Relate and counselling ********. Firstly it has nothing to do with your GP and is totally confidential in any case. And there's absolutely no reason to tell your FEO about it, marriage breakdown doesn't suggest personality disorder.....unless of course it was suggested by your GP because you had your missus against the wall with a knife to her throat??

Not saying that's what happened chap but if you want any real advice you're going to have to come clean, at least to any lawyer/association that might be trying to help you.

i agree sounds a bit odd to me.

the cops who came out had a load of letters so I am not the last today

the cops who took my gun away were going to another 8 houses to take guns away

I am a little surprised they told you how many people were having their SGCs revoked or did they let you count the letters?

You suffered from stress, admit to be a "shouter" - is there anything else that might assist?

I am a little surprised they told you how many people were having their SGCs revoked or did they let you count the letters?

You suffered from stress, admit to be a "shouter" - is there anything else that might assist?

Nothing else mate the cop told us there was another 8 and he pulled letters out of an envelope to give me mine

hmmm, well if it turns out to be some new 'policy' that could be a bit worrying...............just can't see where it could have come from.

Couldn't agree more.

I met up with the FLO this morning for a good hour, and he didn't mention any 'policy changes'

The rules seem unclear if this case is genuine, and doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest :no:

I wonder what they'l pull out of the hat next?

I wonder what they'l pull out of the hat next?

that's why we need the BASC, there is the law, there is the Home office guidance, then there is the cheif constable they have the final say but aren't above the law. Peterlee was a tragedy and questions have to asked of the procedures that left someone with a history of domestic violence with FAC and or SGC and for whatever reason they seem convinced that the solution lies in the records GP's hold!

I'm just playing devils advocate, but why should BASC help if you're not a member?Surely you'd want cover/insurance in place before you get a shotgun not after.

I'm with you on this Nick, might as well not renew my membership if non-members are going to get the benefits, think I'll jack the old RAC in as well, I'm sure they'll come out to me if I'm in need :hmm:

Whilst on the face of it Smog on the Tyne has been hard done by and on that basis should get his cert back sooner rather than later, but still don't see why BASC should help other than perhaps some "over the phone" advice or if the case is worth pursuing because they feel the case is unusual enough to help the paying membership in the future.

Potter

Ive been a member of BASC for years never had any help from them, I wouldn't mind them using my contribution to help out any shooter under these circumstances. :yes:

because the ment to be pro active in protecting our sport.

so if they nip this in the bud asap then its not going to happen to anybody eles. the blokes not suffering from mental health issues. this is just the police making a farce of themselves and causing trouble. if basc arnt pro active in this im taking my subs money elsewhere.

get someone to pick the guns up asap they get damaged in police safes, you shouldn't of let them take the cartridges at all, you dont need a licence to hold cartridges only to buy them. and write a letter of complaint, addressed to chief of police, put your side of the argument over marriage counselling is not mental health, go see your dr get something written down, write your circumstances at the time.

Well said Joe. :good:

Northumbria police issued the licence without the doctors report,

My youngest son was being diagnosed at the time with Autism and the stress's associated with this but a big strain on my marriage, our social worker referred us to the doctor for help, That's why we went to the doctors I admit to being a shouter but that's it no sign of domestic violence or anything I was brought up different to that.

Looks like you need to have a word with your doctor.

It looks like his/her letter has swayed the decision of the police.

I believe, if memory serves me correctly, that most revocations happen when there are "marriage problems".

Also bear in mind, that the new guidelines being suggested by the ACPO where licensing managers will be required to notify GP's when a grant/renewal of a SGC/FAC has been actioned has already been implemented by some licensing managers.

If I was the OP I would be speaking to my GP requesting a copy of the report sent to firearms licensing and also a copy of my medical records. Only when these are to hand can robust action be taken.

It's next to impossible to know what's going on without a really detailed story. Even then I for one am not a lawyer, I have no idea of the legal side of it other than that I think this sounds a bit unreasonable given the info you have already posted.

I wish you all the best with it but can't really offer any solid advice unfortunately. :/

Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act should get the job done, but don't build your hopes up. If the GP has said something damning, he / she is unlikely to retract because you ask / demand.

The Police are still faced with the original reason for revocation, which won't just go away.

The best thing you could do in my opinion is to gather the paper trail that lead to this revocation, so the letter from the GP, an explianation from the CoP, contacting your firearsm department and any other paperwork that could be aquired then challenge the revocation if you want to/can afford it. It seems very odd that you should have recieved it only to have it revoced a week later. In the worst case situation, the Police have failed in thier job, as if they view you as unsuitable to keep shotguns they have supplied you with the means to easily aquire one and ammunition regardless and put the public in danger.

However, from what you've said, I honestly cant see why your licence has been revoked.

I'd also be getting your gun moved to a friend or RFD too.