semi auto or pump for a rough gun

Edward

Hi

I am looking at getting a new rough gun with a synthetic stock, but I was wondering should I get a semi auto or a pump?

Now I have a semi auto before and it was great I really regret selling it, but it was fussy on some cartridges, so as I will probably go for the same make would a pump be less fussy?

Thanks

Ed

I use a pump for nearly everything, it doesn't matter what length or weight cartridge I've used in it I've never had a problem, obviously it doesn't need any gas or recoil to operate it.

That said, there are many people with semi's who say that their gun will take anything, except sometimes short 65mm cases, so I'm sure you can find a semi if you want that will do fine.

Pumps can be quite good fun to shoot, they can be a good option.

the one thing i really liked and miss about the pump compaired to a semi was being able to have the slide half back when it was loaded, a bit like a broken but loaded side by side, its safe till a bird comes over then all you have to do is shut it. with a semi its not as easy, its either loaded or not. hope this makes sense :eh:

One of my fav pumps are the Winchesters, on firing the bolt release releases as normal but because of the sring loaded rotary bolt head the action opens by itself aided I believe by the remaining pressure of the last shot. All you have to do is shut it. Very quick action!

U.

Is that a Remington in the photo? Or a Weatherby?

One of my fav pumps are the Winchesters, on firing the bolt release releases as normal but because of the sring loaded rotary bolt head the action opens by itself aided I believe by the remaining pressure of the last shot. All you have to do is shut it. Very quick action!

U.

totaly agree with that, i shot olympic skeet with my 120 for a laugh sometimes and admititly it was not as fast as an over and under but there wasnt much in it. i bought a remington pump and could not get on with it at all because with the winchester i held back gently on the fore end and it seemed to cycle itself almost but with the remi any backward preasure on the fore end and it would stick, wish i still had my 120.

totaly agree with that, i shot olympic skeet with my 120 for a laugh sometimes and admititly it was not as fast as an over and under but there wasnt much in it. i bought a remington pump and could not get on with it at all because with the winchester i held back gently on the fore end and it seemed to cycle itself almost but with the remi any backward preasure on the fore end and it would stick, wish i still had my 120.

The bolt release on a 870 is pretty easy to slick up, it is a shame however some need slicking and some are perfect from the go. I am impressed you used one, brill :good:

U.

It's a Rem 870 express in 20g, wood stripped and stained and oil finnished. The action has been smoothed to slick it up.

Looks stunning mate, wouldn't mind that in my cabinet.

I must say I am surprised so many pro pumps are out there.

I seriously considered buying one fas a first shotgun, but was almost bullied by various gun dealers into buying an O/U.

Nice to see that they are popular as well as being successful in the field :good:

Never had a pump it looks to much like hard work to me. Go auto

Seriously friend they are simple machines with much less to go wrong. They are usually slimmer than an auto and lighter. Tend to not throw the empties to far. Crossing fences and ditches is easy, the hand seems to just fall on the bolt release and with no spring pressure on the bolt and sliding it open gently the chambered round is removed very quietly.

It's a personal choice thing but hey I love auto's to :yes:

U.