diesel to veg oil

Blobby

just bought a diesel xtrail and want to know about running it on veg oil, a friend runs his landy and merc on neat veg oil and doesnt seem to have any problems, I've been told I need to buy a special kit and add ethenol, others say add white spirit, any ideas, cheers. :unsure:

just bought a diesel xtrail and want to know about running it on veg oil, a friend runs his landy and merc on neat veg oil and doesnt seem to have any problems, I've been told I need to buy a special kit and add ethenol, others say add white spirit, any ideas, cheers. :unsure:

i just filter it and mix half/half diesel. i also add leftover 2 stroke mix when its cold (can't give you a ratio) dont use too much. Probably get someone on saying dont put petrol in your diesel/oil but its worked for me. Check that your xtrail is ok to run on WVO as some cars will not.

Wouldn't trust an Xtrail………

You're talking about making proper bio by adding methanol and potassium something or other to split the fats and then you filter them off to leave you with something closer to normal derv

If you want to run it just cut the mix with 5% petrol

You have to watch the fuel filter on these, they clog very easily with veg oil and if its the DCI model they are NOT cheap

i used to mix 20 litres of diesel to five litres of veg oil

Saw the fuel filter after a while and decided it wasnt worth the saving,

Mind you that was veg oil shop bought, dunno about proper filtered mixed stuff

unless you have a bio fuel set up then i doubt its worth the risk

:shaun:

i used to make bio diesel and would strongly suggest doing it properly do your research first, dont just go filtering oil then putting it in with diesel

the amount of soap in old fat is unreal and although you car will work fine for probably thousands of miles your slowly killing the engine with soap build up. just filtering it

does not remove the soap content it only removes debris

buy or build bio diesel processor will be your first step

Some engines wont take the thickness of oil without thinning down first. If its anything like the daf lorries that run on linseed oil, the drivers have to turn back on diesel 5 miles from home, or they wont beable to start on Linseed. :cool1:

Put it this way……..I wouldn't unless I trusted the car

I trust my old landrover to run on it as long as the glow plugs are working however its agricultural, the Xtrail is a new style urban cruiser/semi 4x4, compare it to say the gaylander which doesn't run on veg cos the engines too delicate and fancy

The vehicles i have used WVO/diesel mix in as follows: series 3 land rover, opel kadet, vauxhal astra x 2, P plate disco, volvo 440 m plate and at the mo an 1996 pajero. My only failure was a hilux surf which didn't like it and went straight to an engine management alarm. All these are older vehicles and i would do some reserch before putting oil mixes into a newer car. :good:

You wanna use veg oil in a new car do this, if not buy a 300tdi landrover (theres one in the FS section for a good price) and run it on SVO cut with 5% derv in summer, 50/50 in autumn and straight derv in winter…..always good to throw in 5L of petrol to help out too.

http://www.biodiesel-fuel.co.uk/how-to-make-biodiesel/

If you want to try for more MPG you can always add a little 2-stroke into the derv rather than using veg oil, not the same effect but it works a bit

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but...

I have been looking at wolfveg web site (worth a read), they convert the car - 2 tanks and pre-heaters etc,

http://www.dieselveg.com/recommendations.htm

Can you still pick used oil up from restaurants? I've heard they can get cash for it now. not sure there is enough saving to use new veg oil?

New oil works out at about £1-£1.30 p/l used oil will work out something much lower

They usually have to pay to get it removed so you should get it free for the most part, you can also blend in used motoroil to old diesels as the 300 for example will run off of it once strained of metal fragments, best bet is to simply ask your local chippy or a place you know uses the deep fryer a lot

do not run any common rail diesel engine on anything other than pump fuel. i work in the trade and cant begin to count the number of injectors/fuel pumps i have had to replace because of vrg oil/bio diesel. its just not worth it when you find out how much injectors are.

I have just bought a biodiesel plant for making my own diesel to make commuting to work cheaper. I have a mazda 6 2.0td 03 plate which is going to be the test bed for the fuel on modern diesels and see how long the engine lasts. The car needs some expensive work over the next year or so and was probably going to scrap it anyway so not great loss if the worse happens. My friend also has a disco 300tdi which were are going to run on as well.

I bought the plant from a good friend of mine and had a long discussion with him about the compatibility and he is sure the mazda will be fine as long as we make the bio to a high standard, with a bit of care and attention you can get the bio up to the same quality as forecourt fuel. The main problem with modern diesels is the DPF filter which were fitted from 2004 onwards these clogg up and need replacing, luckily my mazda does not have one but it is something you can just remove and bypass.

I get my oil from a few local restaurants.

Edited by ferguson_tom

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a Rover 600 on a 2 tank system (i.e. get engine warm on diesel then switch to veg oil, then shut down on diesel again) this prevents the injector getting waxy & give easier starting. It did 45k before it killed the injector pump. The used veg oil (even new stuff) is pretty acidic and perished the rubber seals. I relplaced the injector pump from ebay and away it went again. cutting the veg oil with desiel is always a good way to go, ratio depends on the set up. Never tried running the new generation of high pressure diesels on veg oil, common sense tell me they just wont have the tolerance for it the older diesel engines do !