iv resently been given some slugs for 12 g reloading. i have loaded some up but the slugs dont seem to fit down the barrel. are they safe? :hmm:

Do you have slug and it's use defined on your firearms certificate?

Edited by huffhuff

Unless you have a sec 1 cert ... . Think anything with 6 or less pellets in over a certain size is section 1 ammo.

Re slugs...do they travel in a sabot to allow for the choking,unless its a rifled barrel .No doubt someone knows on this forum for sure

If they are not held on a FAC be very careful because you would be breaking the law. If they are held on FAC you would be advised to ask someone for help who has actually reloaded these slugs before.

What are you gonna be using them for, id have thought they can be very dangerous.

have you got a slug barrel to shoot them through?

You don't necessarily need a rifled barrel. It depends on what gun he has, the type and size of choke used and which slug he's using.

The real question is does he have slug (S1 ammo) on his FAC (assuming he has one of those too).

Now I'm no reloader, but he seems to be asking some seemingly basic questions so I'd be more concerned about that.

Edited by huffhuff

iv resently been given some slugs for 12 g reloading. i have loaded some up but the slugs dont seem to fit down the barrel. are they safe? :hmm:

without being patronizing , please do not reload these slugs , as said before use them for fishing or the like , there is a strong chance of IF you get this wrong you are gonna do your self and any one around you some real or fatal harm .

you know it makes sense , if your unsure the rule of thumb is dont do it and walk away alive .

stay safe

adi

Perhaps everyone should stop jumping on him without checking the facts first, for all we know he have have a FAC with an allowance for slugs.

I can't really answer the question as don't have any experience of slugs, however if they don't fit through the end of the barrel I'd be rather worried and would ask someone who knows more about it, probably from a reloading book, or perhaps a RFD might be able to advise. It might be that you're choke is too tight perhaps?

And as I understand it, you don't need a rifled barrel, as some slugs are rifled themselves for smooth barrels, while other slugs are smooth for rifled barrels. It's just a matter having either a rifled barrel OR rifled slug.

Guest cookoff013

just buy a reloading book.

less dangerous, exept papercuts.

ig he buys a reloading book on slugs it will tell him how to do it. yes slugs are tight in the bore sometimes. some cant be pushed down a barrel. but firing these with 2000+ ftlbs is going to make it down the barrel.

the original poster should just buy a book, i did many moons ago and it has been a joy to read.

You don't necessarily need a rifled barrel. It depends on what gun he has, the type and size of choke used and which slug he's using.

The real question is does he have slug (S1 ammo) on his FAC (assuming he has one of those too).

Now I'm no reloader, but he seems to be asking some seemingly basic questions so I'd be more concerned about that.

i have seen some slugs with rifling on the slug.

There is no such thing as a 'rifled' slug in the sense that it is actual rifling designed to impart spin, this is a simple marketing ploy. :sly: The fins on some slugs (right hand slug below) are there solely to allow for compression when fired through a multi-choke gun. Although i have seen a finned slug go through a full choke i personally wouldn't recommend using them in any more than 1/2 (modified). If you're using non-finned slugs i wouldn't go over 1/4 (Improved cylinder). In any case you will normally find accuracy increases the more open the choke you us is. :yes:

shotgun-slugs-rear.jpg

Simple possession of the slugs is not an offence unless they're specifically designed to expand on impact, exactly the same a rifle ammo. He would only be in trouble once he made them up into live cartridges. (If he didn't have an appropriately conditioned FAC).

You cannot put a rifled barrel onto a semi or pump-action shotgun legally in this country as that would make it a Section 5 firearm (as under UK legislation it would become a full-bore semi/pump rifle). Putting one on an O/U or SbS would make it a Section 1 gun, but as far as i'm aware you have to use sabot ammunition with a rifled barrel which, again, as far as i'm aware is Section 5 (prohibited). So there's no real point arguing about something that isn't going to happen :blink:

Although i've never tried it myself (as slug ammo is too damn expensive to cut apart to fanny about with), i would be surprised if the slugs would just drop straight through the barrel, but as others have said, it doesn't sound like the OP knows what he's doing so should get some training before messing around with them.

ATB

Mark

There is no such thing as a 'rifled' slug in the sense that it is actual rifling designed to impart spin, this is a simple marketing ploy. :sly: The fins on some slugs (right hand slug below) are there solely to allow for compression when fired through a multi-choke gun. Although i have seen a finned slug go through a full choke i personally wouldn't recommend using them in any more than 1/2 (modified). If you're using non-finned slugs i wouldn't go over 1/4 (Improved cylinder). In any case you will normally find accuracy increases the more open the choke you us is. :yes:

shotgun-slugs-rear.jpg

Simple possession of the slugs is not an offence unless they're specifically designed to expand on impact, exactly the same a rifle ammo. He would only be in trouble once he made them up into live cartridges. (If he didn't have an appropriately conditioned FAC).

You cannot put a rifled barrel onto a semi or pump-action shotgun legally in this country as that would make it a Section 5 firearm (as under UK legislation it would become a full-bore semi/pump rifle). Putting one on an O/U or SbS would make it a Section 1 gun, but as far as i'm aware you have to use sabot ammunition with a rifled barrel which, again, as far as i'm aware is Section 5 (prohibited). So there's no real point arguing about something that isn't going to happen :blink:

Although i've never tried it myself (as slug ammo is too damn expensive to cut apart to fanny about with), i would be surprised if the slugs would just drop straight through the barrel, but as others have said, it doesn't sound like the OP knows what he's doing so should get some training before messing around with them.

ATB

Mark

shotgun-slugs-rear.jpg

ATB

Mark

i wouldnt want to be hit by one :no: