Storing your guns at an RFD whilst on holiday?

I'm away shortly for a few weeks and for part of that time our house will be completely empty. I'm thinking of asking my RFD if they will store my rifles and shotguns for me. Anybody done it before and if so roughly how much are we talking per week? Is it priced per item or just a weekly price regardless of total rifles/shotguns taken in? Also should I let my local FAO know of where they are or don't I need to? Never had to store them elsewhere before so excuse any ignorance on the subject.

Would like to know a rough idea prior to calling if possible.

Cheers. :good:

Why store them anywhere other than your normal gun cabinet, are you regularly burgled or expecting to be burgled ?

What has your FEO got to do with you going on holiday for a couple of weeks, it isn't as if you are going away for six months is it !

Why store them anywhere other than your normal gun cabinet, are you regularly burgled or expecting to be burgled ?

What has your FEO got to do with you going on holiday for a couple of weeks, it isn't as if you are going away for six months is it !

Guessing you were typing just as I posted above.

I asked about the FAO because as I said initially...I don't know if you have to notify them they aren't stored at their usual place or not. Hence asking.

I know there isn't but we have had 2 burglaries on our road this week and one attempted last week. Just a bit concerned that our house will be a target if it's seen empty for a period of time.

OK, you have a point. Can a mate not take your shotguns and put the rifles In at a local shop to be sold as customers guns, but put them up for daft money and withdraw them from sale when you come home, thus , free storage.

if you would feel safer sticking them with an RFD then go for it :good:

I was quoted £20 pw storage for 5 guns :good:

:good:

Cheers for that. Yeah I would feel safer knowing they are stored elsewhere considering recent issues here.

OK, you have a point. Can a mate not take your shotguns and put the rifles In at a local shop to be sold as customers guns, but put them up for daft money and withdraw them from sale when you come home, thus , free storage.

My mate could only hold my shotguns for a few days though without having to mess around with paperwork stating they were on loan though but I like your thinking of the overpriced sales. :lol:

Be aware the onus is on you to take all reasonable precautions. Under these circumstances i certainly would put them with an RFD. I did this myself for a period once during building works it wasn't much but not all RFD's will do it as it takes shelf space and can put thier insurance up.

Do any of your guns need work at the moment ? while you are away could be the ideal time to get any work done. The smith will like this as it becomes a job that can be fitted in as and when over the next few weeks- Its probable that you can work storage of your other guns into the deal! Otherwise expect to pay between £2 and £5 per gun per week.

I put my 2 shotguns & 22 rimfire in storage with a local gunshop when I went on holiday for 4 weeks last year, gave me piece of mind while I was out of the country, also a bloke round the corner had just had a gun stolen while he was on a weekend break. The cost was £2.50 per gun per week, he logged the serial numbers in a book gave me a receipt, that simple

• 9 years later...
23 hours ago, Stevecz said:

What about if you work over seas and frequently go away for a week or two ?

He may be sorted by now! Nevertheless, to answer your question, many folk work away quite frequently and simply leave their guns locked up at home. I don’t know of it ever being an issue. 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

He may be sorted by now! Nevertheless, to answer your question, many folk work away quite frequently and simply leave their guns locked up at home. I don’t know of it ever being an issue. 

As Scully says, loads of people leave their weapons locked up.

Security is the owners responsibility, so don't advertise that weapons are left in the house.