which 4x4

roadkill

Right the time has come where i need my own shooting truck .

I have about 7000 to spend but it must fit in to my busy life . It needs to be family friendly as i'm always running about after the kids , would also like one that is good on mpg as i do about 300miles a week. Would really like one that is cheapish to run

What models should i be looking for ?

I will be watching responses closely, im thinking of doing the same, either that or get a quad and leave it at my permission.

Schmoo.

quad sounds good but my kids get in the way lol , I want to get rid of the family car and have a truck for both the family and shooting but i need a cheap running truck as i do quite a bit of millage each week and don't really want to be uping my fuel bills as they already hit over 50 a week

Well it sounds like you're looking for the Holy Grail.

£7k will get you a nice bus but what do you call good fuel economy? and be prepared to stump up for the road tax on newer 4x4s.

I had a few, 2x 300TDI Discoverys, a 3 door Shogun, a Nissan Navara (D40) and now have a TD5 Discovery and the best return for fuel is between 30-35 MPG The TD5 does about 25.

I'm thinking newish rav4 I've heard there not too juicy, and could probably pick a pretty decent one up at that price.

What about a KIA version ? Not too clued up on these tho, but am sure you won't be doing major offroading, simply to get in and out a field. I personally would go family car. And buy a cheap wrecker for taking in fields, no worries about scratching and devaluing too much then

30+ mpg is good for me as im already running a 2ltr turbo d with is round that end just don't want anything lower , I wont be going off roading as such and no scrapping through hedges so should stay quite tidy . The reason for the truck is so i can use it as a shooting platform . ( slightly higher than a car ) At the minute i'm going round in my friends ford ranger but these are far to fuel happy

Im not into the off road scene, so excuse my ignorance on this, I would imagine the land rover to be one of the best seeing that the military use them.

I have seen lpg range rovers or other big gas gusslers going for less than your budget in lpg but I have no idea what they are like off road, im lucky I only need one as a comuter for me to and fro from work and as a shooting wagon, I too do about 300 miles to and from work. But cant afford to drop below 45mpg that I get now from my car.

For me it looks like its going to be shankes pony for shooting, for now.

Schmoo.

Mercedes ML430 is perfect for you, luxurious everything electric, 7 seats and family friendly, goes like a rocket, good enough off road. Funny enough i have one for sale at the moment for about 2k :yp: , convert it to lpg for about £1500 to get the equivalent to 35ish mpg out of it. Spend the remaining 3.5k on a new gun for your self.

Or i got my freelander for sale as well at the moment right in your budget about 6.5k, top spec hse model, navy blue, big sunroof for lamping out of. We get about 33-39mpg out of it.

By the way i am not a car dealer we just found out i have a baby due in october so all the toys have got to go to fund the new house.

Edited by ferguson_tom

Suzuki Grand Vitara is a good choice. It's very good off road and more than adequate when the family need it, comfortable too. Mine is a 1.9 diesel and giving is me high 30’s to the gallon. Should be able to pick up a very decent one in your price range.

this is a good recomendation if you're after a smaller 4x4, far more reliable than the freelander option and won't bankrupt you on fuel.

I've an L200 which would fit in your bracket and thats 28-30mpg depending how much off road it does, just check the road tax if you're looking at newer 4x4's

nissan x trail 2.2 diesel mine is a family motor in the week (runing kids&grandkids around work ect)then at weekend my wagon for shooting fishing skip runs wot ever drop back seats down loads of room for me and my shooting buddy and gear plus optional 2 our 4 wheel drive when needed :good: :good: :good:

alternator, clutch . Tyres would be high i would think but i do know a man in that area who could sort me out with a deal

NO idea TBH all jap cars are more expensive on parts and so are 4x4 so compared to a focus probably a lot more.....

http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/index.php?sh=search&make=10&model=RAV4%202000-06&cap=&prevo=&hidden_make=&s=15&vehicle_iid=1551

Alternator £200

Track Rod end £23

alternator, clutch . Tyres would be high i would think but i do know a man in that area who could sort me out with a deal

Clutch at a dealer will cost over a grand, its a big job,

Tyres arnt as bad as you would think

Everything else can be sourced of ebay,

:shaun: