Always sore when you lose one

WGD

We had our old family pet PTS on Friday, she never did any work in the field - which was never her intended vocation - but this was compounded due to having broken her leg as a pup and so she was prematurely arthritic.

A chocolate lab, which was a dog my wife had always wanted, she was with us for 11 happy years. Always there, always happy and the best companion around people and children anyone could wish for.

Last week the effects of her long term medication took their toll on her stomach and the balance between keeping her joint pain at bay and the damage to her stomach could no longer be maintained without compromising her quality of life so we, bravely I think, took the toughest decision anyone who has ever owned and respected a dog has to take. She went for a walk on Friday morning, had her morning feed and was PTS very comfortably later that morning.

RIP old girl.

post-10075-0-56243300-1333396372.jpg

Sad news at your loss. I hope this poem brings you some comfort.

IN MEMORY OF THOSE WE HAVE LOVED AND LOST :-

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

It's a hard decision to make and those that are not dog orientated will not understand the bond we make with our dogs. My dog will take all my deepest thoughts and secrets to the grave due to me talking to him on our adventures. I have so much respect loyalty and love for my canine mate if he decided tomorrow to not want to go shooting it would not bother me as I get so much from him in other ways. Chin up chap you did the right thing

so sorry to hear about your loss it takes a good person to let his dog go when the time comes. i had to do it to my lab kim after 17 years it was the worst thing i have ever had to do in my life but it was the best thing for her do yourself a big favour and get another it will never replace her because they are all different in there ways but it will help the loss

that poem got me to its the first time i have read it and still after 3 years it got me.rob

so sorry to hear about your loss it takes a good person to let his dog go when the time comes. i had to do it to my lab kim after 17 years it was the worst thing i have ever had to do in my life but it was the best thing for her do yourself a big favour and get another it will never replace her because they are all different in there ways but it will help the loss

that poem got me to its the first time i have read it and still after 3 years it got me.rob

That poem's a choker alright!!!!

I've got other dogs, all working dogs now, each are special in their own way but this one was a pure companion to me, my wife and kids. She is sadly missed but I'd rather have the memories now than not to have enjoyed the good times we had. :good: