.17HMR AMMO PROBLEM

I see there was a post on here this time last year but not much response about .17hmr ammo, with heads getting stuck up the barrel.

While reading a Stalking site there is a post with many people now having a problem with Ammo, split cases and heads getting stuck in the barrel.

How many of you have had this sort of problem with the HMR as a large number from the other site have, with the Ammo manufacturers paying for the gun repair there seem to be a serious problem :hmm:

PELTY :good:

There do seem to be quite a few cases that split, and a few bullets getting lodged in barrels.

But I think it should be remembered that there are quite a lot out there, a lot of rounds fired and it is a very powerful round for such a small size, and it's not been round that long.

When you look at all the happy users of this round I think that the percentage that have problems must be very low!

I for one am not put off by these issues and intend to get one when funds allow, I don't think it's that common.

no issues here, the odd split case but doesn't seem to affect anything, heard first hand of one bullet being pulled from a case but thats it. The thing to remember is if its hard to chamber a round then have a look down the barrel. I believe most are when you unload and it leaves the bullet wedged, something you must feel when you go to reload

I use hornaday, once or twice used remmington but cant get them local now, so its Hornaday from mike norrics but when he move i will go to the next nearest supplier which sell winchester ! Unless i by from gamefairs for a good price or am off out to see mike anyway !

Hi i was useing Remington in a CZ and had two heads stuck, it looked like there was no powder in them and it was the primer that put the head out of the case, the only good thing was you couldent chamber another round. Took them back and changed them for blue tips had no more problems. Woodydog.

I've had it with a batch of the ones with the big X on the top (sorry, can't remember the make) but I've had no issues with either Hornady V-Max or Remington although that is likely more down to pure luck. I could manage to chamber another round but after the misfire and the ejected case minus head I packed up and went home to investigate (luckily).

Edited by mick miller

I use Remmington, but don't shoot as often as some of you, so don't use a lot and haven't had a problem as of yet,after reading about this problem i checked all my unfired rounds about 100 and found 7 with split knecks, on one i literally pulled out the head very easily. When i buy my next batch i plan to check all and if there are a lot of splits, e-mail the manufacturer and go from there,as i don't think the retail shop would show a lot of interest. What percentage would be considered unacepptable, is 7% too many ?

Could it be that the powder is getting damp through the split and the powder not getting ignited correctly, on these stuck in the barrel situations ?

I had this with .17 hmr hornady vmax got stuck, so i took the head of anoter cart hand loaded it into the barrel and fired it and the bullet came out :)

Proberly not adviserbly by health. And safty but worked all the same

FS

Are you serious? That's a really stupid thing to do, be thankful you didn't blow the gun up in your face.

I had this with .17 hmr hornady vmax got stuck, so i took the head of anoter cart hand loaded it into the barrel and fired it and the bullet came out :)

Proberly not adviserbly by health. And safty but worked all the same

FS

Oh my god!!!! :o Seriously my friend never ever under any circumstances be tempted to do such a foolish thing ever again.

For heavens sake use a little common sense and use a cleaning rod and gently tap out the obstruction ;) .

If you're unsure about anything then ask for advice on this forum. There is no shame in asking. Nobody upon nobody knows everything.

You really have been very lucky. ;)

ATB,

Pat

Why would it blow up, only got stuck due to original cartrage not going of fully,

and the second cartrage is only doing what it should of originaly done :) and what it was designed to do its not going to blow up the barrel any more than a normal shot going of would?

Fs

The bullet is stuck a little way up the chamber or into the barrel. There is now head space between the powder charge and the base of the bullet. Pressure can now build up in the chamber or barrel. Heed advice or carry on. Like i say you have been lucky.

Admittedly the HMR is not giving out pressures like a c/f rifle does. Take the advice given my friend and use a rod to remove a stuck bullet. Its much safer. :yes: Take care :good:

ATB,

Pat

Another possible scenario is that a cartridge is not igniting at all, then the user ejects the case, leaving the head in the rifling and spilling all the powder out in the ejection process.

I noticed early on that the pin strike on my CZ452 was not the optimum shape or position for reliable ignition. I posted a thread about it somewhere and was recommended the Eley shooters diary for advice. The standard firing pin strike is right on the edge of the cartridge, which apparently wastes pin energy and can lead to unreliable ignition. Some people have been fitting stronger springs and reporting good results, I just re shaped the end of the firing pin to hit slightly further away from the outside edge of the rim and with a rounder profile.

Here's my thread on shootforum showing the shapes.

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15043