16ft lb air rifle modification ??

utectok

Ok I recently replaced the broken spring on my old HW35 and thought id try a box section spring turns out its useless and made the gun so inaccurate 5" groups at 25 yrds! So just put in a new original one sorted now. I was discussing this with a friend and he said........ I can turn your gun into a 16ft lb gun (isn't that illegal says I !). Firstly I shall not be doing this so don't get excited! But I think he was talking nosense anyway. He said you cut 2" off the spring and pack the piston with washers of the correct diameter to add weight then you drill the port out to 5.5mm. What I'm interested in is the physics would this produce more or less muzzle energy?

Just in case you forgot this is only a thread for discussing the theoretical physics I shall NOT be modifying my gun which is just fine as it is ;)

Edited by utectok

I be leave the transfer port mod would render the gun useless as you would loose any cusion effect from the fireing cycle so the piston will slam into the end of the cylinder ..I had some work done on an 80k this involved transfer port rework and it was tapperd a couple of other things were done and yes the spring was cut back to bring the gun to a legal limit the plus side less cocking effort less recoil lovely gun made better...

Edited by BSA-airgunner

I figured it was bull but was interested anyway I'm sure there is all kinds of tuning u can do if your an engineer and have a chrono personally I'm happy if it shoots straight ;) I'm pleased with the spring I fitted though the old one was broken in two places but I guess the gun is about 30 yrs old !

Ok I recently replaced the broken spring on my old HW35 and thought id try a box section spring turns out its useless and made the gun so inaccurate 5" groups at 25 yrds! So just put in a new original one sorted now. I was discussing this with a friend and he said........ I can turn your gun into a 16ft lb gun (isn't that illegal says I !). Firstly I shall not be doing this so don't get excited! But I think he was talking nosense anyway. He said you cut 2" off the spring and pack the piston with washers of the correct diameter to add weight then you drill the port out to 5.5mm. What I'm interested in is the physics would this produce more or less muzzle energy?

Just in case you forgot this is only a thread for discussing the theoretical physics I shall NOT be modifying my gun which is just fine as it is ;)

There is a transfer port modification that will increase the power output on all weirauchs, especially the hw80, but that's not it. It's quite possible to achieve 22 ft lbs from the hw80 with simple mods but if you don't know what you are doing, you are more likely to ruin your gun. Obviously you wouldn't attempt this without an fac and a slot for airguns. That would be naughty. :no:

Having not shot this gun allot since I was a kid what tips would u give to shoot accurately I read that springers need special handling? I'm getting better but still a bit inconsistent.

The whole thing that springers need special handling is overrated there is no discernible difference between me shooting my air wolf or my 97. Just shoot with soft hands

yes, there not a point and shoot gun like the pcp :lol:

i find you dont need to hold it too tight, also dont try using a tripod or resting it on anything.

recoil will throw all your groupings to pot.

my lad cant shoot my hw95 but he can pick up a mates s200 and hit anything he aims at, there is more skill required to shoot a spring gun im sure

its not worth ruining your gun if your not entirely sure what your doing even with an fac slot - and for the sake of 4 ftlb? not to mention it been illegal without fac. just use your gun and enjoy it for what it is, which is an hw35 and a verry nice gun as it is! :good:

The hw80 was the fac king, the hw35 was made to shoot at legal limits and won early target shooting awards because of it.

stick a bog standard spring in it

had a very naughty hw80 in my younger days after messing with the port and spring. :blush:

i had a HW95 many years ago that i put a standard 12ftlb venom stage 1 kit in to that created a very smooth ( action ) but very sharp to fire 17ftlb :blush: unbelivable with such a small swept volume action , but there you go..

2 coils off and it was just under 12ftlb and supersmooth :yes: