Just About to Start Ferreting

handlebar2

The cheapest.

They all do the same job.

Afraid to say I disagree.

A standard rabbit/guinea pig hutch often isn't very well constructed and a bored ferret will waste no time in breaking out and escaping! It will either need to be re-inforced or a more suitable cage made.

Don't worry about the ferreting side of things for now as they are only babies and won't be ready until the autumn at the earliest to work. Most people have stopped ferreting until the autumn now anyway as there are lots of young rabbits and nettles about! That gives you plenty of time to save up for nets, a ferret finder, a good spade and get to know your ferrets and tame them not to bite your hand when down a rabbit hole!

If you have any other questions then fire away!

FM

Edited by Ferret Master

There are lots of places you can get a ferret carry box, game and country fairs are an ideal place because lots of sellers in one place will be prepared to do a deal.

As has been said above, a normal cheap hutch might not be strong enough to stop a mischievous ferret escaping. Look for something quite strong and easy to clean as they can make a lot of mess. A proper shed and fence place might do stronger hutches than some pet shops.

As for nets, you can get them from all sorts of places. There are lots of shops and Internet stores that do them for about the same price. Again, country fairs are another good place because you can see the quality.

Good luck with the kits, remember to give them plenty of time so they get used to being handled. The best working ferret is one you can trust with your hand in a tunnel!

I have a 3 compartment box you can have if any one is traveling south from the northeast

Come on all of you sure we can sort this lad out we have all been there and like they say what goes around comes around :good:

:good: I'll see if I have any spare nets for him :yes:

Well done :good: don't you feel better knowing you have helped get some youngster started into this sport of ours :good:

:yes: I regularly take newbies out with the running dogs, terriers, ferreting, shooting and fishing and it does put a smile on your face helping people out :) although I have plenty of permission and work part time as a pest controller so have the land and I'm out nearly every day :D

:yes: I regularly take newbies out with the running dogs, terriers, ferreting, shooting and fishing and it does put a smile on your face helping people out :) although I have plenty of permission and work part time as a pest controller so have the land and I'm out nearly every day :D

Brilliant if there were more people with this attitude it would make a great site better :good:

Ps: I could do with some more nets and some ferreting :blink:

Only joking ;) .............. Or am I ;):hmm:

I use the cheapest nets poss. I take loads, i popped a general post up then followed it with a PM, or else we will have another thread de-railed into a slagging match.

The cheapest 4z nylon nets are often false economy as well if you are ferreting hedges due to how easily they tangle and pick up debris.

Don't see how posting one thing then PM'ing another would prevent something turning into a slanging match though? I don't see why there ever would need to be one? :huh:

FM

I fully agree which is why I was posting good advice, not de-railing the thread and not slagging anyone off. :rolleyes:

Still disagree on the net front though, if you are using heavy duty purse nets they simply don't rip. Although ferreting kit is something to worry about at a later date anyway, will be months before he's working them anyway. I'm sure there will be someone near to him on here who will be able to show him the ropes at a later date when the kits have grown up. :good:

FM

I have a 3 compartment box you can have if any one is traveling south from the northeast

Come on all of you sure we can sort this lad out we have all been there and like they say what goes around comes around :good:

That is a better reply than one of the others wanting £20.00!!!

I have some spare nets if you want...check with your Dad and drop me a pm and i will sort out some for you to make a start with this winter...

TEH

I fully agree which is why I was posting good advice, not de-railing the thread and not slagging anyone off. :rolleyes:

Still disagree on the net front though, if you are using heavy duty purse nets they simply don't rip. Although ferreting kit is something to worry about at a later date anyway, will be months before he's working them anyway. I'm sure there will be someone near to him on here who will be able to show him the ropes at a later date when the kits have grown up. :good:

FM

Quite.......6oz nets...just keep a check on them and deal with any nicks etc...

TEH

You could always make your own nets!It's cheap and once you've done a couple is a doddle;all your mates will be well impressed,and you can make them whatever size you like.DIBBRO do a good little guide if you can get a copy,or give net making a google.You can get kits which include everything you need;rings,hemp,needles,drawcords and even a 'square' which determines the mesh size.

Failing this get yourself along(with an adult preferably)to a GOOD game fair this Summer,and along to the PUGS and DRUMMERS display,and seek out anyone who smells like a ferret,with a few teeth missing and a Deerstalker hat.If he also calls you 'marra' and has big bushy whiskers,and is from Whitehaven,then he's called Stan,and he'll sort you out!

In the meantime handle your kittens as often as possible,and if you get stuck as regards making your own nets,PM me and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT:See someone else has offered re' nets while I was typing,but offer still stands.

Edited by Scully

Thank you to everyone that has posted on this thread I know my son is always well chuffed to read the new comments :thanks:

Good luck to him mate :good:

From what granddad said on another thread he's well into his country sports and outdoor activities.. He will be putting Ray Mears to shame in no time :yes: