Both eyes open or not....?

N1ck8

I have been closing my left eye for a few months since taking up shooting again. But I have been told by some people at a local clay shoot that I would be much better if I had both eyes open, well on average I get 25 to late 30's on a 50 sporting. As some of these guys are hitting 18's to early 20's and have been shooting for far longer than they have worked on there beer guts im not that interested in there comments.

I am a very competitive person and have competed at a few sports, no prizes for second in my mind. So if you are going to give someone tips you better have the skills to pay the bills.

I am interested in peoples opinion on this matter.

To me if I open both eyes it looks blurred.

Cheers

If the clay looks blurred then perhaps you should see an optician first,and then consult a GOOD coach who can sort out any eye dominance issues.Shooting with both eyes open is the desired method for sporting shooting,but not necessarily always possible for those with eye dominance problems.

Also check out your eye dominance most of us have a master eye this doesn't line up with the master hand all the time, I for example am Right handed but left eye dominant so i shoot left handed otherwise i have to close my left eye and its much harder to judge the speed of the target, for Trap i.e going away birds its less critical but for sporting/crossing/skeet having 2 eyes gives you the best chance.

You may find that with both eyes open you see 2 barrels or the side of the barrels this would indicate a master eye issue, search for "eye dominance" for loads of threads

ok cheers, so how can i tell which eye is dominant?

Also check out your eye dominance most of us have a master eye this doesn't line up with the master hand all the time, I for example am Right handed but left eye dominant so i shoot left handed otherwise i have to close my left eye and its much harder to judge the speed of the target, for Trap i.e going away birds its less critical but for sporting/crossing/skeet having 2 eyes gives you the best chance.

You may find that with both eyes open you see 2 barrels or the side of the barrels this would indicate a master eye issue, search for "eye dominance" for loads of threads

If the clay looks blurred then perhaps you should see an optician first,and then consult a GOOD coach who can sort out any eye dominance issues.Shooting with both eyes open is the desired method for sporting shooting,but not necessarily always possible for those with eye dominance problems.

I have my eyes tested alot for medical at work as i drive 200ft tower cranes :)

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/shooting/eye-dominance-test.cfm

CD works well star at a distant object through the hole in the middle and draw back from out stretched arms to face.

Top man this helps..

so im right eye dom and right handed. so its saying i need to open both eyes.

Well im out tomorrow if the rain goes to tap some pigeons so they will either have a great afternoon laughing at me or ill be dropping them :)

So it would appear that the comments and advice from those with a rather large waist line were right all along then.

They were wrong :)

I have both eyes open for skeet but close one for both sporting and dtl.

Are you right handed and right dom?

its all about eye dominance, if your right handed and right eye dominant then yes try shoot with both eyes open, if you left eye dominant then you will struggle with them both open, as you dominant eye wont be looking down the rib.

lee

Unless of course you shoot left handed :lol:

iv just done the test and it seems im centre , now i think about it i always close one eye but then im used to rifle an scope , im a lefty

In that case try some tape over the none aligned eye to stop it taking over but prevent you loosing all peripheral vision as you would closing an eye

Not as simple for me im afraid...

Generally my right eye is the dominant one and on short quick crossers my right eye remains dominant because my brain doesn't have the time to think, so keeping both eye's open aint a problem...however on high long crossing targets where i may have the gun mounted for longer my left eye fights for dominance and sometimes wins so on this type of birds i squint my left eye and really concentrate on the target and this generally does the trick...thank fully Carl Bloxham spotted this in my shooting and taught me what to do...now my world is beautiful... :lol:

big mistake... i am actually left eye dom and right handed..

I had done the test using my right arm :(

so ill be closing the left eye as normal

The result should be the same whichever hand you use. I you are right handed/right eye Dom then open both and make sure you look at the clay, not the rib. The rib/bead should not be in crisp focus; the clay should.