Buying a secondhand landy

pin

DO NOT DO IT...if you want to know how useless landies are talk with pavman :yes: he's still be sinking if I'd left him there :lol: and sometimes I wish I had!

On a more serious note...if you've only £1000 to spend why not buy a quad. Even if you've a long way to travel to shoot you can always hitch up a trailer to your normal car.

sorry to jump in peeps. :)

Highlander

Would it be possible to get a reasonable road legal quad for about a grand? If so got any handy sites? I only ask coz I have been sort of looking for a 4x4 and I recon a quad would be better for me than a truck but have not seen any (other than really cheap imports that look like they would snap if they went over a pebble) for the sort of money being talked about here.

£1000 will buy you a dog of a Landrover with a dog of a petrol engine that does @15mpg

Get a fourtrack IMHO 2.8 diesel and reliability as long as not totally abused. Look out for rust and gearbox problems but other than that they go forever. We had an ultimately abused Trak that had worked for an off road centre and though it needed a little work its still going now and keeps sailing through MOT's

I've a newer independant now but thats the best 3K I've spent done about 30K in it in the last 2 years with no problems at all. Theres lots of choice out there and commercial versions available as well.

You'll get @28mpg and a vehicle that will actually do 70 mph which is a pipe dream in an older landie :no:

17miles per gallon at £4.65 a gallon soon adds up.

I've had both landys and japs and for the money I'd go for a Suzuki jeep, cheap insurance and tax, only had 2 faults with mine, hole in petrol tank £80, and blocked crankcase breather. Got 30mpg on a run.

Rob

For a grand, I would go for the best 200TDi Disco you can find, because any car you buy for that money is going to need repairs, so you might as well choose the cheapest to repair.

Besides that, who wants to drive a part time 4x4, jap pedal car? :no::D:lol:

Hi Pin,

I bought a Series 3 (1983) last year for 1500 GDP, just sailed through MOT, parts cheap (replaced fuel hose 9 quid) , fun to drive and "play with" for the hobby engineers. Having said that, there has been no need to "play with it" very much in the last year.

Petrol (2.25), does ( 16 -18 mpg, really)

Maybe I was lucky, but if you want fun, they aren' t fast, then go for the landy.

Malcolm

A grand? :good: Then don't go landy. A grand will get you a driveway filling hulk that will easily swallow another grand to get anywhere near decent and reliable whilst still being at best a 50 mph shed. Even a wreck of a of a toyota hilux pickup will do all the landy can, last longer and get you to the shoot above walking pace 9 times out of 10 !! Don't go there unless you're a teenager or some kind of mechanical pervert who enjoys fiddling every week with mechanical odd balls . You'll learn :good:

A grand? :good: Then don't go landy. A grand will get you a driveway filling hulk that will easily swallow another grand to get anywhere near decent and reliable whilst still being at best a 50 mph shed. Even a wreck of a of a toyota hilux pickup will do all the landy can, last longer and get you to the shoot above walking pace 9 times out of 10 !! Don't go there unless you're a teenager or some kind of mechanical pervert who enjoys fiddling every week with mechanical odd balls . You'll learn :good:

just how wrong can you be :lol:?

my series 2a is 42years old. just how many jap motors will last this time :lol:??

See, I know someone who bought an ex army petrol which he's had a while (paid a lot less than a grand for it) and its tip top.

I can't decide if he's just been in the right place at the right time or what.

Thanks for all the replies, some excelent advice in there, I just need to make some sense of it. No criticism of any of the replies, but I am just as undecided as I was in the first place. One the one hand I could release some more cash and buy newer, solving some of the problems, on the other hand there is matey who has one which is a right gem and it cost him next to nothing :good:

I have had Lanrovers now for years,

I currently own 3 including my shooting bus Discovery TDi which cost £650.

a further £100 and it passed another mot, is that cheap motoring?

I also found that I needed to keep at least one spare (preferably 2) in the case of LD. :no:

Suppose you can tell I'd much rather drive a Hilux? Drive where a mountain goat won't go.

my 1990 disco 2.5tdi cost me £600 it needed a rear box £35.00 sterring box seal £15 and a drive shaft seal £5 to go through the mot its great i had a vitara before now i can hold a small party in it (except the radio is ****) there are bargains out there to be had not everything thats cheap is knackerd just look very carefully at what you are buying or get somone who knows about cars to check it over before you part with your cash!

The problem I have with old landys is they remind me of "Only fools and horses" where trigger is given an award for having the same broom for X years and tells the crowd it`s only had 3 new shanks and 4 heads.

It`s the same with landys of a certain age,it`s 40 years old but 99% replaced/welded/rivetted/glued parts.

:no::no::no:

The problem I have with old landys is they remind me of "Only fools and horses" where trigger is given an award for having the same broom for X years and tells the crowd it`s only had 3 new shanks and 4 heads.

It`s the same with landys of a certain age,it`s 40 years old but 99% replaced/welded/rivetted/glued parts.

Says the man who drives from Scotland to Bisley in a car borrowed from his hairdresser.

Go for a landy, you may regret it, you may not. but if you don't get one you will always wonder.

I have a 1997 Disco and love it, Parts are cheap and readily available and anyone will work on them. Buy something japanese and take out a second mortgage for parts and servicing.

Cheers

Martin

Let's make a distinction here, landy series 1, 2, 3 great hobby cars and perfect in the field but about as much use as an iron lung in a cross channel swimming contest if you ever need to use one as more than a stubble stomper or have over 50 miles to travel in one go. The Disco's do it all (I've got a 300TDi with only 49k on the clock) as do the defenders but are still British at the end of the day and will require rebuilding and tinkering with to keep the gremlins at bay. I also bought a shed of a hilux pickup, battered to hell but apart from two tyres oil/filters and a blown headlamp bulb in two years of 'careless' use it has not missed a beat in all weathers. Now the bloody 'pampered' disco is another story and I've got the bills to prove it......... :no:

• 2 months later...
I have about a grand to buy myself some shooting transport. Having looked about and seen what others have managed to get for about this money I think it has to be an old landy.

But I know nothing about them, really, so is there any particular type I should avoid (engine/year/anything). I know how engines work and am reasonably mechanically minded.

Any recommendations from the landy experts out there?

Did you get sorted mate?

WB

Nah not yet, I have never been so poor in all my life. Just got robbed blind on the service for my car yesterday so thats put me further back :lol:

Grr :lol: I could easily bang it on one of about 10 credit cards, but those are what's made me poor so I think I will wait :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with all that's been said. With Landrover you love them or hate them, I've had series Land rovers for over 10 years now and I'm on my 6th, could not live without one.

I'm also in Hertfordshire, if you are looking at any local to me then let me know and I'll pop along with you. But at £1000 expect that work will needed if not now in the future.

Cheers

Cheers for the offer mate, that's exactly what I needed I think. I am reasonable with engines and general mechanics but as to "common problems" and things to watch out for on these, I have no idea.

Might well take you up on that when I find some dabloons :lol:

They are easy to work on i have just done the swivels on my 90. oh yes and the front off side brake calliper.

0 to 60 in about 5 minutes that is if at all. But i love it :no:

One thing join your local owners club. Mine in Aylesbury is only £15 a year but you can get help from the other members plus we get 10% discount from some local part suppliers as well spend a 150 quid on parts and you get your money back

landies, i love em

im on i think my 15th now, had series 2-3 and lightweights a Discovery TD5

several classic Range Rovers and now have a full on V8 winch challenge road legal off roader and a 4.0 Discovery ES.

maybe worth looking about for a Discovery 1, seen them for about a grand and also theres plenty of early Range Rovers for that money. V8's are cheaper to buy nicer to drive than a 2.5 petrol series Landie and not much mpg between them (both terrible) if you come across a clean Discovery 1 200TDI then buy that.

as with all Land Rovers its the rust thats the problem, chassis and bulkhead etc, chassis can be patched up and most have been at some time or other, rusty outriggers and x-members arnt much of an issue to fix but a rottern Bulkhead is a major stripdown to replace, if your not sure what your looking at take someone with you, what ever you buy expect to spend some money on it..

cheers