Garden Foxes

PigeonEater

Hi

I keep birds in the garden, chickens and kings etc. The other week i needed to nip out and couldnt get all the birds in and i wasnt out long anyway so i thought its ok i'll leave the door open. Got back and it was like a scene from a war movie. Blood, feathers and dead birds everywhere. The ****** had eaten all the eggs out of the nests and all the young, and looks to have just killed and played with the rest.

The next night i sat out, and when Mr Fox returned, i cornered him in the coop, grabbed him by the scruff on the neck and slit his throat. He died instantly and did not suffer. The next few nights nothing, and then another in the now converted chicken coop/fox trap. This time i spied a neighbour watching me so i let it go.

I cant find the legal implication to this anywhere. The foxes are trapped and dispatched quickly. Am i allowed to do this in my back garden? I also have an open ticket, am i allowed to shoot them?

its legal but best done out of eyesight. Not sure I'd get as close to scruffing and throat slitting but certainly speedy despatch is the name of the game. As for shooting then yes its legal with an open ticket if you can do it safely with the relevant conditions on your ticket for foxes. But as to whether its a wise idea depends on your neighbours and specific garden

**** grabbing it round the scruff hat of to ya mate lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha it was in the coop and when i went in it jumped onto a hutch in the corner. It was ****in **** scared and only a smallish bitch. From grabbin it to cuttin it cant be more than a few seconds. I just grabbed it round the back with one hand and before the fox knew what was happenin the deed had be done. Bled like frick though!

The next night i sat out, and when Mr Fox returned, i cornered him in the coop, grabbed him by the scruff on the neck and slit his throat. He died instantly and did not suffer. The next few nights nothing, and then another in the now converted chicken coop/fox trap. This time i spied a neighbour watching me so i let it go.

Blimey, I don't hear of many people doing that!

With your open certificate you can shoot it in your garden, provided the usual rules are complied with - the bullet must not leave your boundary (which is obvious from a safety point of view anyway) and the firearm used must be conditioned for fox.

Depending on your location you need to be very careful though. I'd suggest a moderated .22lr if it's an option, as anything larger will make noise and could be a problem - it really is down to where you are. Discharging a .243 in a garden could cause a bit of panic in some places, so be careful what you use!

Also be careful about being seen, some people might be frightened if they see someone shooting in a garden/from a window, or an anti might have a go. Either way could cause huge problems, so whatever you do be careful.

I've been thinking about this for a while Im still living with the parents and I only have a SGC but would a moderated .410 be quiet enough from a blank point range they've taken 4 or 5 chickens 2 of our ducks and a turkey on all different situations I no theres a few around my area as there is in most but I see at least 2 or 3 every week with out fail either in the garden or just walking down the road late at night any advice on this? With out turning into Rambo like PigeonEater :oops:

"I've been thinking about this for a while Im still living with the parents and I only have a SGC but would a moderated .410 be quiet enough from a blank point range"

I've used mine in our garden on occasion(40yds to nearest neighbour) without problem but choice of cartridge is everything noise wise..410 is effective for humane despatch with only light load if you are talking point blank range shooting of a trapped fox,if it isn't trapped forget the .410.Personally I would use a cage trap & dispose elsewhere.

This was my last garden visitor(sadly deceased).

post-3485-0-05311800-1336497174.jpg

I've been thinking about this for a while Im still living with the parents and I only have a SGC but would a moderated .410 be quiet enough from a blank point range they've taken 4 or 5 chickens 2 of our ducks and a turkey on all different situations I no theres a few around my area as there is in most but I see at least 2 or 3 every week with out fail either in the garden or just walking down the road late at night any advice on this? With out turning into Rambo like PigeonEater :oops:

more than enough honestly you would be suprised, my dog once grabbed a muntjac and had wounded it a fair bit, I was out with the .410 at the time and decided to finish it with it, It blew a hole through its head and muntjac are sturdy animals

more than enough honestly you would be suprised, my dog once grabbed a muntjac and had wounded it a fair bit, I was out with the .410 at the time and decided to finish it with it, It blew a hole through its head and muntjac are sturdy animals

were you hunting this muntjack?!? I hope you were otherwise your as bad as the irresponsible dog owners who villify us for humanely dispatching injured deer.

so you are indeed, just another idiot with a gun....

Not an idiot with a gun, I responsibly but the dying animal out of its misery.

If anything I am an idiot with a dog but I had just got that dog from a rescue home

and so did not know the dog had hyper killing instinct!

I hope you enjoyed ripping into people you think you are superior too.

I dont think im superior to anyone, but when some irresponsible dog owner callously talks about how his dog grabbed and injured a deer so seriously he had to shoot it, and then instead of answering the question (albeit a frustration fueled one) with a proper response comes out with some drivel about sipping his cocktails, then yes you deserve both barrels. And then you say you "responsibly put the dying animal out of it misery". If you were being responsible you wouldnt have been in that position in the first place. I take no joy in "ripping into people" and cannot belive that no one else see's this the way i do.