BASC Woodpigeon Course (Eastern Region)

PhilR

I tried to get on one of the above courses held a few weeks ago but it was sold out very quickly, so due to the interest shown BASC decided to hold a weekday course and this filled too very quickly. There was a good mix of people, some who hadn't shot a pigeon before and were embarking on pigeon shooting for the first time to seasoned veterans.

It was held at a farm near Chelmsford and hosted by Peter Theobald with Simon Reinhold the Eastern Regional Director, they were ably assisted by our very own The Essex Hunter and SA Shooter who it was nice to meet for the first time.

The day started in Peter's house with a slide presentation and discussion on subjects such as the law and General Licences, quarry identification, shooting safety when in hides, reconnaissance, hide building, pigeon shooting equipment etc and hide discipline.

We then went to an adjacent field and Peter showed us how he set up his hide and decoy pattern using shell decoys and a magnet. After the lunch break we split into two groups, one group shot some crossing clays as singles and pairs seated behind a hide net with Peter explaining forward allowance etc. The others saw the equipment that Simon, himself a committed pigeon shooter and TEH use in the field including their own DIY tricks and tips which gave food for thought, the groups then changed over.

Simon, to his credit mentioned the PW forum to the group as a useful source of information.

It was an interesting day and I'm glad I went, I learnt a few things and satisfied myself that I'm not doing things completely wrong.

I managed to get on the first one as a super sub when someone dropped out - It's a terrific day with lots of tips, tricks and info - Peter talks absolute sense and imparts information well plus Simon's a very good guy once he warms up and has some cracking little tricks up his sleeve - The hide poles and dead bird cardles were awesome in their simplicity and complete and utter usefullness.

And The Essex Hunter is on hand moving and shaking in the background and generally being very helpful

Sounds like you had a good day Phil, I look forward to hearing more about it when we meet up next.

Everyone does things a little different and it is always good to learn and keep an open mind.

Pay up and get on a course, you tight g*t :P . That's why I didn't give specific details away :good:

I tried to get on one of the above courses held a few weeks ago but it was sold out very quickly, so due to the interest shown BASC decided to hold a weekday course and this filled too very quickly. There was a good mix of people, some who hadn't shot a pigeon before and were embarking on pigeon shooting for the first time to seasoned veterans.

It was held at a farm near Chelmsford and hosted by Peter Theobald with Simon Reinhold the Eastern Regional Director, they were ably assisted by our very own The Essex Hunter and SA Shooter who it was nice to meet for the first time.

The day started in Peter's house with a slide presentation and discussion on subjects such as the law and General Licences, quarry identification, shooting safety when in hides, reconnaissance, hide building, pigeon shooting equipment etc and hide discipline.

We then went to an adjacent field and Peter showed us how he set up his hide and decoy pattern using shell decoys and a magnet. After the lunch break we split into two groups, one group shot some crossing clays as singles and pairs seated behind a hide net with Peter explaining forward allowance etc. The others saw the equipment that Simon, himself a committed pigeon shooter and TEH use in the field including their own DIY tricks and tips which gave food for thought, the groups then changed over.

Simon, to his credit mentioned the PW forum to the group as a useful source of information.

It was an interesting day and I'm glad I went, I learnt a few things and satisfied myself that I'm not doing things completely wrong.

Thank you for the comments, as you spoke about there is quite a range of peoples shooting experience.

By the responses every one enjoyed the day and I will pass the comments on to Peter and Simon

TEH

Thanks, you've been a member for a good few years so I guess your not bad at pigeon shooting what did you hope to learn from the course?

Only from 2008, like yourself. I'm not bad at pigeon shooting but not good either. In pigeon shooting, as in life, there's always something new to learn no matter how good you might think you are.

I often wonder if there's something I'm doing wrong, if I did it this way or that way would I have a better day etc? Going on the course allowed me to see what an acknowledged well known pigeon shooter does from when he turns up at the field to set up. My hide and decoy layout are broadly similar to Peter's the main difference is that he places his magnet immediately in front of his hide before the decoys and I've been placing mine to one side or the other of the pattern. Talking to Peter, Simon and The Essex Hunter gave me a valuable insight into their approach.

Before I retired I was required to attend courses yearly for Continued Professional Development purposes, these were to keep me abreast of changes to my line of work, and I regard this course in the same vein.

• 10 months later...

If people are interested in this course then there are 3 mid week courses at the moment: 17th April; 15th May; 12th June.

There is 1 space left on 17th April and they are trying to get enough bookings together to make 15th May and 12th June viable.

If you are interested then please call Anne the Eastern Regional Administrator - number is on 01284 728752 and book yoursefl on the course.