defender 90 or disco 3

binman

rite, iv got 10k to spend on a new car, my choices are a defender 90 or a disco 3, one day i want a disco 3 for more comfort, the next i want the defender as it will be better off road, althought when i say off road i mean driving round the farm shooting.so i dont need a hard core off road vehicle, but i dont want to be banging the bottom of a disco if there not great for ground clearance, so i guess im asking for people with either a disco or a defender to see how they get on, and if there are any problems with either of the 2, any coments greatfully recieved as spending 10k i want to make the right decision.

regards. steve

As an every day vehicle as well then Disco all the way unless you don't mind roughing it. They're plenty capable enough off road and if you do a lot of on road miles I'd stay well away from a Defender! As a toy that won't be driven far the Defender is an amazing experience though, there's no other 4x4 like it. :good:

Hello there ive had both, loved my defender, a bit tight if your using it for lamping though it's a bit hard to swing the rifle round. Mine wasn't brilliant on long journeys as it was a g reg as it struggled to do 70 but if your using it for short journeys they're great! My disco 3 was a night mare, loved it at first then the problems started mine was the hse so had all the electrics, first the height suspension sensors went then the reverse sensors then the battery and 6 grand later I had to sell it as I was scared to drive it. I may have just bought bad uns but that's just my experience I'm sure others will have bought really good discos, if it was me and I was buying a 4x4 just for shooting I'd buy a good fourtrak as they run forever and pocket the rest, good luck anyway.

D3 and D4 are easily as capable as a Defender 90 - you just drive them differently off-road. Ground clearance on D3 is superb at the flick of a lever. If it then grounds on anything it will go into extended and super extended mode.

As a shooting only vehicle I would probably go with a 90. As an alrounder Disco all day long.

Which ever you go for spend £7k and save £3k to get through next MOT!

I saw a mint Disco 2 Saturday left hooker looked like it just rolled off the line 4.0 V8 had a spare wheel cover from brittish virgin islands! On uk plates someone paid alot to ship it back....... Must have been a good one.....

I have a Defender 90 , mate has a Disco 3.. Mine gets me wherever I want to go. Its basic , no frills but reliable. Mates Disco has been in the garage being fixed almost monthly. He is scared to put dead stuff in it cos it will spoil the interior, or go too far from the road cos the paintwork might get scuffed. If its just for a shooting wagon get a Defender...if you want comfort get a Disco ( make sure you get a long warranty though cos the repair bills will be expensive)

Edited by ozzy518

or a very good jap 4x4 ;)

seriously though 10K will get you a decent defender and the newer ones aren't as bad on longer journeys. D3's well everyone I know has found them a nice to drive but expensive to maintain option.

A facelift D2 will save you some money, do everything you want it to off road and provide comfort in which to do it :good:

Defenders are great cars, but unless it's sole use will be for shooting and or off-road, then I personally wouldn't take that option as I like my luxury too much.

Hi there.

Horses for courses as said above. I currently have a Disco 1 300tdi ES and a 1969 Series 2a SWB.

The Disco is standard apart from a good set of BFG's. Both get used for shooting but the Disco will go anywhere you would want to very easily indeed. I have 22 acres of woodland to play in and in the past have sped many years doing off road competitions, both RTV and CCV. A standard Disco is very competent.

The Series is pure hardcore, a true off roader. I've had Defenders in the past too and although far improved from the Series in terms of ease to drive off road, they are still very basic, but have loads of character, you will love it, other drivers wave when passing and will retain its value far better than a Disco will. If kept in good condition, well looked after you should still see quite a chunk of your initial investment retained should you come to sell.

Kind regards

Jonathan

If you like gingham skirts, Justin Bieber or have a longing to accessorize everything buy the Disco. If you prefer wearing trousers, fancied Blondie when you were younger and have never considered a 'man bag' as a viable everyday clothing option buy the 'Fender.

Sensible, well thought out advice.

Disco 3 all day long - it will do everything a knobender will do offroad on the same set of tyres, it'll carry 7 in comfort, do over a ton if required on a motorway, pull 3.5ton legally and double that if required illegaly, it'll look as good crossing mountains as it will driving in the city and they have a good crach test rating (if you ignore the "hit a pedestrian" category (which to be honest is way down my list as I am more concerned about the people inside the car)

make no mistake - you will need to spend money on it though, and it'll eat bottom arm bushes and wheel bearings at a rate you won't belive - but if you keep it maintained you'll love it. and i know for a fact most jap 4x4's and 90's also get a fortune spent on them - thats just 4x4's to be honest.

it'll also pull the backend off the knob ender if required - don't believe me? just look at the figures for yourself.

Regards,

Gixer

well blow me if i want to be spending alsorts of money of a disco 3 and having alsorts of problems, defonder it is then, i did fancy one of them over the disco really, it is really just for shooting and as a second car when the wife is out in the XC90, well im now on the look out for a nice defender, what sort of reg and millage can i look for for that kind of money, anthing i should be looking out for,

thanks, steve

i dont do may miles or go very far, i buy cars now more with my shooting in mind, and iv always wanted a defender,choices choices choices.

That said a defender it is then........ no brainer

Disco 3 driver and lover here. Landrover have a test track and the only vehicle that can't get round is the defender. Disco very capable off road.

Hmmmm where is this test track

**** me, must have been lucky then. Drove an old series II for 12 years, and now a Defender 300Tdi for the last two. Never had a breakdown yet. Still as I've said a hundred times to people that spout this ********, treat it like its a tank and never do the basic maintenance or servicing then don't be surprised when it gives up the ghost at an inopportune moment.

I know that the local landy garage spends 90% of its time fixing discos and rangies, especially the new ones. These are vehicles that hardly ever see a muddy field or rutted track.

But there you go, what do I know, 14 years as an owner/ driver isn't enough to form an opinion I guess??????