What 20g cartridges do you use?

Hi gents

just got myself a 20b and was given a box of gamebore 'pure gold 20' 28g no6 which seem fine so far, when I stock up I want to get some no5s for rabbits and some lighter loads for my mrs to use.

What do you use or what would you suggest?

Atb Gary

Hi gents

just got myself a 20b and was given a box of gamebore 'pure gold 20' 28g no6 which seem fine so far, when I stock up I want to get some no5s for rabbits and some lighter loads for my mrs to use.

What do you use or what would you suggest?

Atb Gary

i have a 20g semi which like the bigger shells so i stick with the pure gold i use 30g 6s on the pigeon and 30g 5s for rabbit and they are great

colin

I use gamebore 21g for the clays then either vip's or RC sipe when it comes to game shooting. My father shoots pure gold in his browning and I have seen him hit some really good distance pheasants with them but he has been using Kent ultimate at the moment when we have been out on the crows to good results. Hope that helps.

I use gamebore 21g for the clays then either vip's or RC sipe when it comes to game shooting. My father shoots pure gold in his browning and I have seen him hit some really good distance pheasants with them but he has been using Kent ultimate at the moment when we have been out on the crows to good results. Hope that helps.

It does mate thank you :good:

My wife uses 24g Eley CT in the semi for clays. Light recoil but only just enough oomph to cycle (occasional misfeed if the weather is v. cold). 25g Grand Prix went through no problem at all and recoil was not a problem. In No. 6 these went well on the pigeons too. Tried sneaking a box of 28g CT in with the 24g but she noticed (sore cheek bone). Cycled well though. Saw some Gamebore 26g shells on the website the other day which I will probably try next.

Sounds like there is plenty of options for me, what about fox loads? Anyone use a 20b on fox regularly and what do you suggest? I like to keep a couple off heavier loads in my pocket just incase.

Gary

gary as you have an o/u can you not put a full choke in one barrel and use some 32g 5s as you will still have nearly all of your shot on mr fox at 25-30 yards and any further than that then a rifle would be a better tool

colin

blimey..... cannot believe all the ins and outs of cartridge types.

What about the cheapest ones.... ? or are you all Olympians?

Maybe I am an amateur but I honestly cannot find much difference in cartridges worth worrying about.

As long as your shot size/distance is about right for the job - you can get used to almost any type.

At the last PW shoot (not the North South one) I had the second highest score with a budget cartridge and an old U/O with tape on it (no not holding it together!).

Maybe the highest score was low or I was lucky. Thunderbird was highest :rolleyes:

Doesn't the OP just want to shoot some vermin? get some No6 shot for the rabbits and larger if you want to shoot fox.

I'm sure I will get some stick for this.... but Gary really don't fret, keep it simple.

Maybe I am an amateur but I honestly cannot find much difference in cartridges worth worrying about.

As long as your shot size/distance is about right for the job - you can get used to almost any type.

At the last PW shoot (not the North South one) I had the second highest score with a budget cartridge and an old U/O with tape on it (no not holding it together!).

Maybe the highest score was low or I was lucky. Thunderbird was highest :rolleyes:

Doesn't the OP just want to shoot some vermin? get some No6 shot for the rabbits and larger if you want to shoot fox.

I'm sure I will get some stick for this.... but Gary really don't fret, keep it simple.

you put that so well lol

the op said he was going to use 5s for his bunnies so what i was trying to say was use them with a tight choke and keep em close and that will do

colin

gary as you have an o/u can you not put a full choke in one barrel and use some 32g 5s as you will still have nearly all of your shot on mr fox at 25-30 yards and any further than that then a rifle would be a better tool

colin

I guess I could if I was intentionally looking for fox but I'm after something I can just keep in my pocket on the off chance so it I'll be going through 1/4&1/2 .

32g 5s sound good I'm guessing they are 3" I'll have to see what my local keeps in as I'll only want one box.

Gary

I guess I could if I was intentionally looking for fox but I'm after something I can just keep in my pocket on the off chance so it I'll be going through 1/4&1/2 .

32g 5s sound good I'm guessing they are 3" I'll have to see what my local keeps in as I'll only want one box.

Gary

70mm

colin

eley vip game 28gram 6's.

As per this chap, not much choice round here. The Mrs occasionally has ago with my 20g pump so we use some 23gram hush power carts and they are fine for her.

For fox i have a box of 3`s and a box of 4`s in fibre that i picked up from a cartridge seller at the gamefairs called cash and carry cartridges :good: Great guy to deal with and its who i buy my 12g 50gram 00 from :good:

The 6`s will be fine for everything from pigeon and rabbit through to pheasant and duck :good:

I happily use 28gram in clay and game carts in the 20g :good:

Well said sir! Too much is made of shells. They almost all do the same job, some people feel better spending £200/thou on them though! I shot this years charity shot with a mix of 5 different types of shell- the ones I missed I pointed them in the wrong direction!