Vixen and Cubs.

One of the farms that I regularly shoot on has three foxes earths all with cubs. The farmer has asked me to "thin them out when I feel that the time is right" so I went out yesterday evening to have a good look at one of the earths to see how well developed the cubs were. The other two earths are in a lot of undergrowth so not so easy to film.

From what I can see even though the cubs are very well developed there is still a chance that the vixen is suckling them a bit so I will wait till I am sure that they are fully weaned.

I quite enjoy watching cubs at play so this video was a real pleasure to film. I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed filming it!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying Al4x but I would prefer to wait another week or so till the vixen is taking them a little further from the earth and starting to teach them to hunt. I don't want to make the mistake of taking one or two out and ruining the chance of doing the job fully and properly.

Some mey feel differently but I like to think that when I do the job it will be done thoroughly and without any "problems! When all is said and done it comes down to my prefered way of doing things and my "concience"! We all have our own way of doing things and obviously some differ from others!

I guess so Frenchie we like to give our English partridges and leverets a chance, take the adults and then the cubs ideally. They will survive anyway at that age even if you kill the vixen, I had a litter the dog started feeding when the vixen went and that was back in March. The issue we have is once they leave that hole here they are into rape fields and you don't see them again till harvest. In that video I'd have been trying to line them up with the .243 to take as many as possible with the first shot :oops:

They need shot frenchie, so why not leave the camera at home and take the gun? Perhaps you might be best suited applying for a job as a springwatch cameraman.

I don't wish to argue the point so I have to give the same answer to this reply as I did to Al4x' comment!

Because I am going to be the one behind the trigger I need to "call the shot" that I am most comfortable with!

im glad he films them...so the vixen moves them as she knows hes been there...

then i get them on my permisions so i shoot them.. :good:

I very much doubt that it will come to that Richie as they are quite some distance from your permission! :no: If it does pan out that way then so be it mate!

Take care!

What I don't understand is why you waste so much chuffin time recording vermin. I don't think I've ever seen a fox shooting tuition video from you when you've actually shot a fox. And this absolute rubbish about waiting for them to stop suckling the vixen. I've always been taught that when cubs are suckling you shoot the vixen and then you'll get the cubs when they come to her. I'm sorry Frenchie but after a few years of consistantly seeing your videos on here (as photographically good as some of them are) I don;t think it's right that you talk nonsense and covertly encourage the preservation of destructive vermin.

Apologies if my opinion causes offence but your nonsense videos frustrate me.

ATB,

Lee

Edited by lee-kinsman

What I don't understand is why you waste so much chuffin time recording vermin. I don't think I've ever seen a fox shooting tuition video from you when you've actually shot a fox. And this absolute rubbish about waiting for them to stop suckling the vixen. I've always been taught that when cubs are suckling you shoot the vixen and then you'll get the cubs when they come to her. I'm sorry Frenchie but after a few years of consistantly seeing your videos on here (as photographically good as some of them are) I don;t think it's right that you talk nonsense and covertly encourage the preservation of destructive vermin.

ATB,

Lee

You are quite welcome to your opinion Lee! That is part of what a forum like this is about, differing people with different opinions!

Just a quick edit: You say that you have never seen a "tuitional" fox shooting video on here when I have actually shot a fox. I did one video well over a year ago where I had to "dispatch" a fox caught in a cage trap. There is nowhere on this thread where I have claimed this video to be a "Fox shooting tuitional video". However, when I posted the video of dispatching a fox in a cgae trap I got a fair bit of stick saying that the videoing of shooting and killing of a fox was unjustified and only served to show as "the glorification of killing foxes"! It seem as if I can't win either way but not to worry!

Edited by Frenchieboy

ATB,

Lee

Bit harsh....meh

I guess the difference here is between someone that culls foxes because they need culling for the safety of stock and wildlife, and someone that kills foxes for sporting purposes.....

Personally I fit into the former....pity all others don't.

hi stranger anit heard from ya in a while ?????? some good footage there all the dens im working on are well in cover your lucky to find such a well prepped earth then you no how many there is and in what order you want them :good: :good:

Exactly!

Out of interest I'm doing fine mate, hope all is well with you and yours! :good:

the issue you have leaving them this late is they will be self sufficient and you won't get them one by one at the hole shoot the vixen and they won't come back to her in the same way as if you shoot them when they are far smaller. We had a litter half that size a month back and they were already wandering well away from the den.

We had a litter that size a month ago, vixen was shot outside the hole from range with the .243 Dog was shot well away from the hole with .243, all 5 cubs were shot at the dead vixen with the .22LR. All under the lamp and all just the way I like 'em. But that was my decision, and I concede it doesn't always go that smoothly.

Good video buddy your permission your choice

yup the wrong one but each to their own. Assuming its sheep country the foxes have to work hard to get a litter to that stage whether that is lambs or local wildlife, really at the stage these are going to get shot there is absolutely no point. Foxes are fairly territorial so these cubs will get pushed out of the area fairly shortly to make their own way and so not do Frenchies permission much more damage.

Whether you agree with frenchie or not fair play frenchie for standing your ground and standing by what you belive to be right and not just following the crowd !

Myself i can see both sides of the argument but dont have the experience to state my preferances ! :good:

Maybe you can keep us updated frenchie on how this pans out ! We all continously learn and none of us want to do a bad job so i would say people should be more open minded ! :good:

I can see both sides of the augment too.

I can also see - as the issue is being debated - some old hillbilly strolling by, lighting a stick of dynamite and just lobbing it in. Job done.

"So I says to Jethro I says, why don't someone jes' shoot the varmint?"

With apologies to Gary Larson © The Far Side